Question about replacing pickguards

kwakatak

• Members

I'm thinking of taking off the pickguard on my new D-16GT and had a few questions before I commit.

For starters, how hard is it to do, really? I've heard that a hairdryer is recommended to loosen up the glue but I've managed to get one corner up with just a little fiddling around. Am I risking some kind of damage by not softening up the glue first or is it just supposed to be this easy?

Secondly, I have a style question which I realize will be purely subjective. What do you guys think of this one?

Greven D-28 Light Pickguard

Greven_D-28_light_pickguard_-_200.jpg

or how about this one?

Greven D-28 Medium Pickguard

Greven_D-28_medium_pickguard_-_200.jpg

Bear in mind that this would be going on a sitka top that looks like this:

IMG_1683.jpg?t=1263699285

• Members

I agree with what others have said: use a hair dryer and go slow.

Re. looks, Grevens look much different and much nicer in real life. I personally prefer medium or dark, but Hud is right that light would stand out. So would fire stripe, if you really want to go nuts. Hard to go wrong with a Greven.

• Members

Hairdryer worked for me. Go slow, not too much heat. Rubbing alcohol on a cloth to clean any residual glue and prep for new p/g. It's a cinch. But don't pull on it without heating it. I had one on a Guild that was coming off by itself, was almost all the way off, pulled a little and some topwood came of with the p/g. But the hairdryer method worked good on my Larri.

I like the darker one. Check the firestripe, too. You might like it.

• Members

I like the one in that pic.

You wouldn't if you looked up-close. Martin has been using some really chintzy pickguards which are thin and are silk screen in such a way that the color is "off" (think greens and purples instead of oranges, ambers and browns) and you can see that the image is pixelated.

• Members

No hairdryer. Sure, it'll help overcome the pickguard glue. And the bridge glue. And the bracing glue...

The idea is to heat the guard only long enough so that you can slip a crack knife in there or pull up the guard by hand gradually without too much force. You don't want to superheat the top, for the reasons you've indicated. I've used a hairdryer a couple times for minor stuff like this. No probs.

Anyway, who needs bracing?

• Members

OK, but I've removed three with no hairdryer and no problems. And I wouldn't use alcohol either. Naphtha seems to be safe to use on most finishes.

Peel slowly. Very slowly. Work diagonally across the grain to reduce the possibility of splintering. Take off leftover glue with naphtha and elbow grease.

But then this was on cheap guitars and I had no intention of putting on another pickguard.

• Members

If I were going through the trouble of taking it off, I'd try to find a vintage pick guard, true to a Martin. I just don't know if they are available or not.

I might even try playing the guitar without a pickguard, especially if it didn't leave any mark on the guitar. Depends on your playing style...I never scratch up a guitar with mostly finger picking.

• Members

I don't hit the top of the guitar
with
a pick. I've seen Neil play and he's pretty controlled. I doubt he'd be doing any damage. It's a looks thing. I prefer the look of the top without a guard, myself.

Pick-guards change the sound of a guitar too if you take one off it will open the top up more.

• Members

Pick-guards change the sound of a guitar too if you take one off it will open the top up more.

You know, I've heard people say that before but for the life of me I didn't notice any difference between not having one and adding one to either my RK RD-06, RK RO-06 or my Tak GS330S. They all sounded the same before and after. I really think the majority of sound comes from the lower bout of the guitar where the bridge is.

• Members

You know, I've heard people say that before but for the life of me I didn't notice any difference between not having one and adding one to either my RK RD-06, RK RO-06 or my Tak GS330S. They all sounded the same before and after. I really think the majority of sound comes from the lower bout of the guitar where the bridge is.

There are actually some guitarists who have bigger guards to make the guitar mic better. Just like Bridge Pins though it is all about personal tone and hearing differences.

• Members

I'm one who prefers the look of a pick guard. I've removed and changed several of them over the years and I'd recommend using a hair dryer, too. Just keep it on low and keep it moving so you're not applying too much heat in any concentrated area. Lighter fluid works great to clean any residual "stickyness".

I also think the Greven pick guards are nice, but a little overpriced in my opinion. I'd think, for the same money, you could buy the "real McCoy" from Martin. That would be MY choice.......but, it's not MY guitar.

• Members

Neil, one thing nobody mentioned.........use some un-waxed dental floss to slide up under the pickguard and with a gentle see-saw (back and forth) motion, work it up under the pickguard to slice the glue.......... Now that's old-sckool~olds-kool........:thu::cool:

Archived