Question about replacing pickguards

kwakatak

• Members

all good advice .... slowly is the way to go, nice one about using the dental floss too :thu:
I've put a few of LMI's ones on in the past :

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Pickguard+Material&NameProdHeader=Martin%99%2DStyle+Pickguards

personally I love the look of the "Tortoise MPGTB" in that image - its thin, rich in colour and looks great on one of my gits.

• Members

Good idea with the dental floss, SteveO. I may give that a go. I don't really trust the whole hairdryer idea. The top on this guitar has shown some real sensitivity to changes in climate.

As for going with an original Martin pickguard, bear in mind that the stuff they put on them is utter crap. Yamaha Junkie pointed it out to me but I found it to be true upon closer inspection. The guard that's on there now looks better than one I saw even on a 000-28EC but it's still a lackluster imitation of "vintage" tortoiseshell. The Greven stuff is actually higher-quality.

• Members

Good idea with the dental floss, SteveO. I may give that a go. I don't really trust the whole hairdryer idea. The top on this guitar has shown some real sensitivity to changes in climate.

Neil, the hairdryer is nothing to be scared of. I've done it on two guitars now. Put it on low and just use it to get the pickguard warm. This will warm the adhesive and allow you to easily peel it back. It will not harm the bridge, the bracing, or the top if you use it sparingly. Just enough to get the adhesive warm. That's all you need.

I tried to use the dental floss method to remove a John Pearse armrest that I had on my HD-28 without heat and it pulled up couple of small pieces of the nitro finish with it. Trust me, you do NOT want to try and get the pickguard off with out heat. It will be a real PITA. The heat makes it a snap. Just be careful with it and go slow. Clean up any residue of the adhesive with Ronon Lighter Fluid (Naptha). It's really very easy and nothing to be worried about if you do it carefully and when you're sober.

• Members

in order of preference:

1. no p/g @ all

2. the med (dark) one

3. just can't abide that light one.

Knock- can I still use my crack knife for er... you know, will this hurt my crack knife if I use it on a plastic pickguard material? I mean, I don't want to contaminate my chicken salad; you know what I'm saying?

• Members

Sobriety check: Just say no to chicken salad.

Yeah, that's right. I know. I'm getting clean first thing tomorrow. Just help a brother out, could ya? Just this once. I just got to have a taste of that chicken salad now. You understand what I'm saying?

• Members
On second thought I think I'm gonna keep things as-is for now. Maybe once I've bonded with it a little more.

Hi Kwak, I think i'll change my pick guard as dont like one i have on it's plain black
id prefer a tortoise shell type on

My own guitar is a sitka spruce top also and the Dalmation type pick guard of these
i reckon i like best. :wave:

Archived