Good microphone for voice???

Misha

• Members

I have an ok microphone but I want to know if there's a way to avoid picking up all the annoying noises that I make with my breath, my tongue, my throat, etc... and still record my singing voice! (If there is any left!!)

Do I have to cover the microphone or do I need a better one????????

What are the tricks??? (Apart from getting singing lessons, obviously...)

I have no singing technique! I just record myself for fun...

Examples: ***Warning*** "Petite fin du monde auditive!" ***

1- One take, first take + a bit of reverb. Was reading the lyrics at the same time: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8744455

(I'm trying to sing a song written by Tracy Chapman. Here is T. Chapman herself and her nice parlor guitar that I think is a Tanglewood!)

[YOUTUBE]lNHMhNg_jNI[/YOUTUBE]

2- Impro, one take, first take: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8744461

• Members

What you describe is definitely more a matter of technique than microphone selection. The 'better' the mic, the more detail it will capture. Somethings, like a breath before a vocal phrase, can add life to a recording, though with things like track automation in various DAWS, they can often be muted out. It is a matter of personal choice, there. I would suggest you continue to record yourself, and listen to your recordings, making mental or other notes of your idiosyncracies, and then consciously try to eliminate them, if you feel this necessary.

My wife is unused to recording, as well, and you can hear her sniffle as she takes a breath before a vocal phrase in our VOM admission. I could've edited it out, but, I figure the take is what it is, and so I left it.

Practice, and listening, Misha.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

If you're just recording for fun, an inexpensive large-diaphragm condenser would probably be your best bet. You can get an MXL condenser from MF for $40 or $50, and they're good mics for the money.

A pop filter would definitely be a good idea. I've heard that you can make a homemade one using a small wooden hoop (like the kind you'd use for cross-stitching) and a pair of pantyhose. Like bfloyd said, a pop filter dials back the effects of plosives (P's, B's, D's, F's, T's---any hard consonant sound that can "pop") and sibilance.

• Members
What you describe is definitely more a matter of technique than microphone selection. The 'better' the mic, the more detail it will capture. Somethings, like a breath before a vocal phrase, can add life to a recording, though with things like track automation in various DAWS, they can often be muted out. It is a matter of personal choice, there. I would suggest you continue to record yourself, and listen to your recordings, making mental or other notes of your idiosyncracies, and then consciously try to eliminate them, if you feel this necessary.

My wife is unused to recording, as well, and you can hear her sniffle as she takes a breath before a vocal phrase in our VOM admission. I could've edited it out, but, I figure the take is what it is, and so I left it.

Practice, and listening, Misha.

Cheers,

Glenn

Excellent advice.

Also, one of these "pop filters" are VERY handy, and can be easily made from a coathanger and cheeseclothe or an old piece of panty-hose:

141569-main_Full.jpg

• Members

I'll try to get or make a pop filter. I'm sure it would help. Well, this and practice! ;)

My microphone is a Peavey PVM-22. It's similar to a SM-58. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PVM-22-Diamond-Series-Microphone?sku=271360

I don't know if an inexpensive large-diaphragm condenser mic would be better???

What difference would it make??

Thank's for your replies!

• Members
I'll try to get or make a pop filter. I'm sure it would help. Well, this and practice!
;)

If you make your own out of pantyhose, you can skip the frame and coat hanger business and just pull them over your head ;-) Just remember to remove the pop filter before going to your bank!

• Members

I'll try to get or make a pop filter. I'm sure it would help. Well, this and practice!
;)

My microphone is a Peavey PVM-22. It's similar to a SM-58.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PVM-22-Diamond-Series-Microphone?sku=271360

Misha,

I don't know a lot about inexpensive condensors. I've heard that some that come out of China are pretty good. The issue of which one is 'best' is very subjective, and I've seen major flame wars occur regarding this topic. :facepalm: You could spend $75.00, and be happy with the results, or you could pay a few thousand and not be. Much depends on how serious you want to make this hobby. My personal recommendation for you would be some kind of large diaphragm condensor tube mic, like a R

• Members

If you make your own out of pantyhose, you can skip the frame and coat hanger business and just pull them over your head ;-) Just remember to remove the pop filter before going to your bank!

LMAO!!

In regards to LDC mics, I have little experience. I use the MXL 990/991 combo for voice and guitar (pretty low end condensors but I like them). I find the condensor mics pick up more nuances than my 58 dynamic mic. This can be a good thing or can be a bad thing, pending on what you are wanting to achieve. I'd say that if you are already experiencing too much S's and P's in your vocals that you just may want to stick with the dynamic as the condensor might exaggerate them even more. However, for guitar, you may want the finer nuances that the condensors can get.

• Members

I bought a pop filter, similar to the one in Terry's photo, for about $25 in Toronto (NB it was the cheapest model - there are more expensive types). It makes a big difference.

I also use a dynamic microphone for recording. I'm sure that a condenser would be better, but since I already had a dynamic, that's what I use.

I am not attempting to make high-quality recordings, so a dynamic mic into Garagaband gives adequate results. :)

• Members
LMAO!!

In regards to LDC mics, I have little experience. I use the MXL 990/991 combo for voice and guitar (pretty low end condensors but I like them). I find the condensor mics pick up more nuances than my 58 dynamic mic. This can be a good thing or can be a bad thing, pending on what you are wanting to achieve. I'd say that if you are already experiencing too much S's and P's in your vocals that you just may want to stick with the dynamic as the condensor might exaggerate them even more. However, for guitar, you may want the finer nuances that the condensors can get.

I kinda prefer my SM-58 for vocals and a Takstar PCM6100 (small diaphram condenser...found it on Ebay for a very reasonable price :)) for acoustic instruments, but I've used the Takstar for vocals, too. Often I use both and blend the signal at mixing.

Do intend to buy myself a large diaphram condenser soon, as well, although I'm still "auditioning" different models.

• Members
I bought a pop filter, similar to the one in Terry's photo, for about $25 in Toronto (NB it was the cheapest model - there are more expensive types). It makes a big difference.

I also use a dynamic microphone for recording. I'm sure that a condenser would be better, but since I already had a dynamic, that's what I use.

I am not attempting to make high-quality recordings, so a dynamic mic into Garagaband gives adequate results.
:)

There are some dynamic mics that will perform extremely well....a Shure Sm-7 comes to mind - even an SM-58, once its transformer has been upgraded....I've used a lot of different condenser mics, but my favorite vocal mic is a Beyer M-500 ribbon mic - also dynamic.....if you already have a Shure M-58 (as most of us do), send it out to mercenary audio in massachusetts http://www.mercenary.com/tabfunkenwerk.html and have its transformer upgraded....this is not expensive and once this is done, you'll be surprised how much it sounds like an SM-7

• Members
There are some dynamic mics that will perform extremely well....a Shure Sm-7 comes to mind - even an SM-58, once its transformer has been upgraded....I've used a lot of different condenser mics, but my favorite vocal mic is a Beyer M-500 ribbon mic - also dynamic.....if you already have a Shure M-58 (as most of us do), send it out to mercenary audio in massachusetts
http://www.mercenary.com/tabfunkenwerk.html
and have its transformer upgraded....this is not expensive and once this is done, you'll be surprised how much it sounds like an SM-7

I just might try having my spare SM-58 upgraded (my main one is "just fine" :))...about what does it cost?

TIA! :thu:

• Members
I just might try having my spare SM-58 upgraded (my main one is "just fine"
:)
)...about what does it cost?

TIA!
:thu:

.....it cost about $100.....the tab funkenwerks transformer will eliminate the upper midrange cut that the 58 is famous for....this cut in upper mids helps a great deal in minimizing feedback in close p.a. work, but it really detracts from presence when the mic is used in recording.....

• Members
;)

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PVM-22-Diamond-Series-Microphone?sku=271360

Dynamic mics (like the SM-58) are typically used for live work, because they're rugged and they don't feedback easily. They're not usually used for recording, though. That's a job for a condenser mic of some sort. LDCs are more sensitive and they're typically a little more even in terms of frequency response.

• Members

Dynamic mics (like the SM-58) are typically used for live work, because they're rugged and they don't feedback easily. They're not usually used for recording, though. That's a job for a condenser mic of some sort. LDCs are more sensitive and they're typically a little more even in terms of frequency response.

I suppose it's true that dynamic mics like the SM-58 are not typically used in recording, dynamic mics like the SM-7 (and many others) are!......ribbon mics are dynamic mics and are very often used in vocal and instrument recording....although condenser mics are often used, I have never seen a good recording studio without a good selection of high end dynamics in their mic collection.....

• Members

I suppose it's true that dynamic mics like the SM-58 are not typically used in recording, dynamic mics like the SM-7 (and many others) are!......ribbon mics are dynamic mics and are very often used in vocal and instrument recording....although condenser mics are often used, I have never seen a good recording studio without a good selection of high end dynamics in their mic collection.....

True enough. I'd imagine that guitar cabs are probably typically recorded with an SM-57, or something comparable. IIRC, drum mics are also dynamic mics. But for recording vocals and most instruments, I daresay that condensers are the microphones of choice.

• Members

True enough. I'd imagine that guitar cabs are probably typically recorded with an SM-57, or something comparable. IIRC, drum mics are also dynamic mics. But for recording vocals and most instruments, I daresay that condensers are the microphones of choice.

Not chosen by all.....the Shure SM-7 is still widely used as vocal mics, as are many ribbon mics....they're often chosen for the warmth and transparency of their sound....go back and listen to the vocals on "thriller"....they were recorded with an SM-7.....personally, I've used a lot of different condenser mics for recording vocals, but I usually go back to a beyer ribbon

• Members
;)

Going from that mic to a condenser mic will probably sound better for recording, but... they're more sensitive, so you need to work on your technique. What you put in is what you get out (with a good mic)

Archived