What acoustic should i go for?

Mercenary

• Members

There's a LOT of great guitars in that price range. Maybe too many to list em all. What style of music do you play? That narrows the field a little.

This.

Do you mostly play fingerstyle? Flatpick? Strum/sing? There's an amazing range of good choices out there. I like everything Hud suggested, but you can narrow down still further into specific models by considering what you'll use it for most.

• Members

There's a LOT of great guitars in that price range. Maybe too many to list em all. What style of music do you play? That narrows the field a little.

Pretty much this.

Hud listed a bunch of good suggestions. A few other brands you might want to check out are Seagull (and anything else made by Godin) and Alvarez. If you're in the market for a good acoustic-electric, Ovation would definitely be worth a look as well.

• Members

i mainly strum. i like to play acoustic stuff from many different bands:

The Who

Hendrix

Third Eye Blind

Green Day

goo goo dolls

Johnny Cash

Strumming lends itself nicely to dreads and jumbos. As mentioned, have a look at Seagull (or other Godin family acoustics) and Yamahas, as well as Takamines. Those are my favs but not to say that there aren't any others out there. There really is alot of nice gits in that price range...

• Members

An OPTION you should probably consider is buying USED. Lots of quality stuff out there right now with the tough economy. Lots of folks having to part with some great gits and for a whole lot less than they ever thought.
If you check the local Craigslist, Evil-Bay and online forums in FOR SALE section, you can get a great idea of what is available and price range.

If you are not knowledgable get a friend to go with you to look at USED stuff so you do not get a lemon.

Many quality ONLINE dealers to consider. They usually can knock 40% off the list price for NEW and they always have good clean USED which they might have taken on trade. Check out the web sites of the names you see often on this and other forums. For example, My Favorite Guitars, Maury's, Jim's Guitar Rodeo; come on guys, give us some OTHER quality sites to check.
Take your time...enjoy the search...deals out there to be made if you are patient.

• Members

As far as Craigslist goes you can check all over the world.

So many guitars, so little time.

Yes, but it's helpful to find guitars that are actually close enough to buy. The point of Craigslist at least IMHO is that it lets you find stuff that's local, that you can try first. If you're going to search "all over the world" you might as well use eBay.

Archived