gas: martin d28

indiegod

• Members

I've owned a couple of them.....you owe it to yourself to try a d-18v before buying a d-28....voiced bracing makes all the difference and quality of mahogany seems much more consistent than that of Indian Rosewood.....if you're one of those who thinks that tonewood makes little difference in an acoustic guitar, than an Ovation should suffice.....

• Members
i played an older model martin d28 at guitar center today and i am in love
:love:
. best sounding guitar ive ever played. i will not rest till i have one !

Sometimes the new ones straight out of the box sound a bit stiff compared to one that has been out for awhile. Not always true, but sometimes.

• Members

Sometimes the new ones straight out of the box sound a bit stiff compared to one that has been out for awhile. Not always true, but sometimes.

^ this seems to be the most accurate explanation I'm willing to accept. I've yet to play a new D-28 that impressed me. Thankfully I've never played one that's opened up.

Sorry Hud, there are even doggish HD-28's out there. Try before you buy I always say.

• Members

^ this seems to be the most accurate explanation I'm willing to accept. I've yet to play a new D-28 that impressed me. Thankfully I've never played one that's opened up.

Sorry Hud, there are even doggish HD-28's out there. Try before you buy I always say.

Sure, but it is easy to find a great sounding, NEW HD28. It will require a little searching, but he won't have to wait for it to age first. ;)

I never found a new D-28 that spoke to me. My step father has a 15 year old D-28 that doesn't move me.

• Members

I've played a few hd-28's that were pretty nice, but I've never played a d-28 that wasn't over 40 years old that impressed me......

• Members
The HD28s sound much better to me compared to the D28s. I'm talking new.

If these guys are talking about playing EITHER D-28 or HD-28 off the wall at CG or Sam A, then chances are good the strings are so dead that you can't tell squat.

If you seriously want to consider buying either, let the manager know and they will put you on some NEW strings. Despite the guitar not opened up, will still be a BIG difference...go ahead, you can agree, right??? :confused:

:thu:

• Members

Even after a few years of opening up, a straight braced D-28 will still not sound like a scalloped braced HD-28.

If you want the D-28 sound, get a D-28. If you want the HD-28 sound, get an HD-28.
They will both improve with age and playing, but they will both still be what they are.

• Members

i went to guitar center and bought it ! its was made in 1980. i tested it against every acoustic that was there and it sounds better than all of them imo. i didnt however look to see if it had the adjustable truss rod an was slightly upset when i found out it didnt. i wasnt even aware that early 80's martins didnt have em but its no big deal.

Archived