Will I ever play the electric guitar again?

KATMAN

• Members

It's been a long time since I played them.It's funny how the music you listen to dictates on what guitar you play. I've been either play my nylon Yamaha or the Takamine on a daily,or weekly basis.But I have seem to lost the desire to play the electric guitar.Maybe I need to get a SRV dvd for inspiration? Since I don't have a band,it's easy to see why I lost intrest.It's funny because when I first started,all I wanted to do was jam on a electric.Now that I can do it,I don't. When I was first learning to play,I was learning old gospel hymns,strumming with a pick.Yesterday I got out this book and began to play these songs fingerstyle. It opened my eyes to a new and different way of playing. Do you all have periods of time like this? Does it fade away? Has anyone ever sell their electrics and gone to play acoustics full time?

• Members

I have sold all my 'leccies but two, no ... three.

Still, I would never say never, nobody knows the future... but I don't see me wielding a Telecaster connected to a big Twin Reverb or a LesPaul in front of a Marshall Stack anymore.

Maybe, some day, maybe... I will develop GAS for a Jazzbox, but I currently doubt it.

• Members

Only ever owned 2 electrics. Both very cheap no-brand axes. Never bonded with electric. Sold the first one a couple of years after I bought it because it never got played. That was around 30 years ago. Never missed it in all that time.

I bought the other electric around 18 months ago. It gathers dust in a cupboard. Maybe one day I'll dig it out and have a twiddle. If I do ever get in to electric gits, I'd better get a higher paid job. I'm just thankful don't suffer from electric GAS. (Electric gas:confused:. Well, you know what I mean.)

I don't miss electric because I've never really got in to it. But you did enjoy electric. I'd keep at least 1 electric just in case.

• Members

I've gave up electric guitars a few times. Sometimes I get a craving and go buy a squier strat and a cheap amp to have fun with. I use to swap strats all the time, USA, Mex, mik and mij but now the acoustic guitar fills my needs.

Never say never tho.

• Members

I'm more of an electric player by far, so I have more of a problem with not playing acoustic for periods of time. That is, while I'm always grabbing an acoustic, I'm more likely to do so just to noodle on; I spend more time learning and practicing electric songs and techniques. But, yeah, the two techniques are very different. Reminds of a quote from Keith Richards I read a few years ago, where he was commenting Mick Jagger's guitar ability, "He's pretty good on acoustic, but on electric he just wants to bash on it...like Dylan." :)

• Members

It's just easier to pick up the acoustic and start playing. I've still got my Strat and a little Princeton Reverb, but they rarely get used. But I wouldn't sell them, because once in a while I do want the electric flavor - even (especially?) when playing an old gospel song or something.

• Members

I have a Squire Telecaster that I rarely play. It's a great guitar, but I work 2 1/2 hours from where I live so I stay down here during the week. The thread about the Crafter SA gives me gas for that but I like the way the Squire plays.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I'm going to start using the Squire to learn finger picking songs because the process chews up my finger tips on the acoustic. Playing songs is no problem, but the slow learning process just kills the fingers. Hmmm.

• Members

Ive never much had the inclination to buy an elec guitar although did buy an elec/acoustic and then gave it away to ma laddie

Younger ones i think tend to prefer elec..

I much prefer acoustic guitar masel..anyhow O/P only you can tell

as to what you wanna do best of luck :thu:

• Members

I just received a new ukulele yesterday evening. I have to photograph it today and will record a tune for VOM with it today. It is a KoAloha tenor-scale necked soprano made in Hawai'i of Hawaiian Koa. While I do lay down an occasional lead on a Fender tele or ES335, I play most music on acoustic guitar and acoustic or acoustic/electric ukulele. I prefer to mic the acoustics.

To me, leads are what electric guitars are best made for playing.

• Members

In 1998 I had to sell all of my gear down to my old beater acoustic.

That's all I had to play until 2007 when I finally was able to start picking up a few inexpensive pieces of electric gear.

I bought an SX bass because DAMN I missed playing bass. Real bad.

Then I bought some other stuff, but too much of it so I sold a bunch.

Now all my gear is in storage 3000 miles away from me except a beat up (but really decent!) Squier Strat I picked up in a pawn shop for $35 yesterday. And I have a Danelectro mini-amp.

(Pineapple Slim's right...it's a sickness.)

Now I really miss my acoustic. And I'm missing bass again.

But I've learned over the years that while I like to have at least one acoustic, one electric guitar and one bass, I like to keep it pretty minimal. One of each is plenty for me to keep up with.

I also learned that you can get by perfectly well with very, very little.

Right now, all I have--and all I will be able to afford for the foreseeable future--is my boring, humble Squier Strat and cheapo "amplifier" (if you can call it that.

But you know, I am having an awful lot of fun with that meager setup.

And eventually I'll get my acoustic and bass back.

• Members

I jettisoned all of my electrics and replaced them with a Godin Kingpin archtop with a single P-90. It feels like an acoustic and can be played unplugged, but covers everything I want it to electrically, as well.

More than just a compromise, it's the first electric I've really bonded with in many years, due to its acoustic size and shape, which I vastly prefer over traditional solidbodies and semi-hollows.

I also learned that you can get by perfectly well with very, very little.

This has been my experience as well. I find it freeing to have a few well-chosen guitars, as opposed to a collection.

• Members

I have two les pauls, and I love playing them. However lately I have decided to stick with the acoustic for practice and learning songs. I spent months learning Randy Rhoads and Metallica songs and it was fun but when my wife asked me when I planned on getting on stage and playing any of them, I said "No why?" I realized the acoustic singer/songwriter thing is what I am good at, so I plan on sticking with my Taylor. And I can always hook up the stack again too.

• Members

I lust for a Tele

I am on my out to buy a Squire Tele Classic Vibe 50s for $325 new at Sam Ash, if they haven't sold them all. I have the real deal in it's case since I bought it new in 73 but it is a Deluxe with dual Seth Lover humbuckers and a Gibson copy neck. So while it is a gem and worth some serious bucks, it's not a "Tele" but more like an SG. I want a Tele and these China made Classic Vibe series Squires have had three years of outstanding reviews. As Yogie says you could look it up. So if after a few months it lives up to it's reputation, the Deluxe heads for Ebay and I will finally have my Tele but will also be able to pay off some bills.

Check em out Poppy.

Archived