Which brand of medium strings would you use for......

rickjes

• Members

Phos Bronze for warmth, depth and resonance. 80/20 much too bright for my taste.

I use D'Addario phos bronze mediums on both my 12-er and my 6-er, even though the deep, resonant bass on the woody-toned all-hog 6-er can be a bit much at times.

• Members

:wave:

Your question really does not have an answer - tuned to a given note (lets say your low E string at concert tuning) EVERY string will vibrate at 82.40 hz, that is the definition of low E. The frequency that a string vibrates at is determined by its length, tension, unit mass and some constants. But if you've tuned it to an E, it will not vibrate any lower than 82 hz so it won't sound any "bassier" If you want deeper base, you need to alter the tuning. Duh.

Different string materials will have different contents of the partials or overtones, usually the numbered harmonics of the fundimental (164, 248, etc). The mix of these will color the sound and that might make a particular string have a lower sound (less of the higher partials, more of the lower ones). People tend to use terms like "mellow" or "bright" to describe this sound, altho I think we need to be careful to define those terms.

However, strings are cheap. What you really need to do is buy a set each of uncoated PB and 80/20, put on guitar, play for a week. Record when new and after a week. Repeat with the other set. Listen to both back to back - both new and after played for a while. I find that using a graphical program like Audacity to see the content of each note that you've recorded is very helpful, even better is to do what is called an FFT analysis - but your ears will guide you.

Select the one you prefer on YOUR guitar, then consider trying the same composition in a coat or extended play string (more expensive). Many people feel that a coating changes the sound slightly - some will say it "mellows" it (whatever that means, define your terms). Decide if the advantages of a coated string outways the disadvantages.

• Members

Well, lets see, I use the same kind of strings on all my guitars. I would say my dreadnaught has a more "profound" bass than my 000 (which is really saying that it is biased to the bass) so maybe jack up your current strings and drive a bigger bodied air chamber under them.

Really, what you should be trying is almost any PB string which should sound less bright, which I would interpert as more profound bass. If we can get it running again, you might want to listen to the sound clips that I posted as part of the String Test - I'll try to get the link working again.

You might also consider (dare I say it) a less dense bridge pin (and maybe saddle) - ebony or other wood pins sounded more mellow in my D18 when I did the great Pin Test. To my ears bone and particularly brass sounded really bright.

• Members

Strings aren't going to make that much of a difference on the guitar if the basic tone isn't there. There are no magic "deep bass" strings. If you want deep fat bass, just put normal strings on an Martin D-18GE, HD28V or a good Gibson J-45. :)

For the record though, I have very good consistent luck with DA EJ-16's (OM's) or EJ-17's (dreads). Very nice resonant bass.

• Members

Heavier strings will produce more sounds for a given pitch. One possibility is to go to a music store and ask the sales person to help you put together a custom set. Don't go too heavy though or you'll screw up your guitar. Really, though, you should probably get a guitar that sounds the way you want. What are you playing now?

• Members

This is exactly what I was looking for in a string when I got my guitars ... a deep, woody, clear bass with an overall transparency in the string-to-string balance. And precisely why I ended up abandoning all the most popular phosphor-bronze and 80/20 alloys that everyone else seemed to prefer.

I found what I was hoping to hear with pure nickel strings. And it turned out to be the icing on the cake that they also had the best playability of all the strings that I tested, as well as being the warmest in tone, with excellent note separation. Add in a long lifespan to due the corrosion resistance, low noise, and lower tension for fretting, bends and hammer-ons ... and you have a great set of strings.

The sound is so different in comparison to other types that it takes some adjustment., especially when controlling the dynamics. But once you learn to adapt your playing style to these kind of strings, nothing else will do. IMHO. I feel that my accuracy and speed have improved after making the switch, as less aggressiveness is needed in the right hand to create a powerful, clear sound, and my tension levels in the left hand are at an all-time low. Which contributes to having less fatigue, so I can play longer, with less effort.

These are worth investigating.

John Pearse Pure Nickel - Medium Gauge

... JT

• Members

Several string makers offer "Bluegrass" string sets. They usually have slightly smaller treble strings and/or slightly heavier bass strings. Get that combination in a phosphor bronze set, and it might do the trick for you.

Martin MSP4250, DR RPBG12-56, Daddario EXP19, are possibilities.

Also, you could buy the packs of individual strings, and custom make your sets.

juststrings.com

Archived