Gratuitous Holiday Whiskey Thread

roughtrade

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm interested in trying out some of the small batch bourbons--Maker's Mark, etc. I'm not a big Jack Daniels fan, but I've heard that these boutique brands are quite good. Any suggestions?

Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden and Blanton's would be my 1,2 and 3. They're all very good. For a less expensive mixing Bourbon I prefer Bulliet to Makers.

• Members
Irish Whiskey may take some getting used to if you are a Scotch or Boubon man. It is "cleaner" tasting. A lot of "vanilla" overtones. IF you like the smokiness of Scotch you should try Connemara (sp?). It's an Irish whiskey that is distilled using a "peated" barley so you have a lot of the smokiness you get with Scotch.

Or if you want to go cheap get the "Powers" brand. It's just about as good as JAmeson's and much cheaper.

Taylorman.. Really no Scots person would drink irish whiskey :lol:
as theres only one Whisky makers in the World.. not just the UK / Not just in Europe / But the World
and is our No 1 market seller Scottish WHISKY :thu: and there's many other makes of Scottish Whisky Single "MALT WHISKY" remember
is by far the best Whisky made..as the Video sais on 1st page the Scots are No 1 for Whisky although a thought the irish fellas would
come onto this thread as they have tried to make Whisky like us BUT CANT theyre learning
But O'er-our secret shall never be let out :wave:
Thats Why Scottish Whisky Is Our No1 Market Seller World-wide.. not irelands..

• Members
Get some Talisker - from the Isle of Skye and none has its equal.Im not exagerating.Its not even all that expensive......compared to some.

Ye well sais BUT also there's many others also made in Scotland like Talisker-in the Isle Of Skye in Scotland..But Enjoy Sisyphus

Ps Take Scots and irish people out of this then you shall find all rest of the Country knows Scots make best Whisky :)

• Members

Tartanlad,

I'm going to make it a point to try some scotch whisky in the upcoming year. Call it my resolution!

Well Roughtrade im surprised you aint tried such as you wont turn back But it can be pretty strong

some Scots Whiskies also depending on how made etc

Here below in the link is the most recent awards for best Whiskies which includes all Countries Whiskies in 2010

inc irish japanese and kentucky Bourbon etc

Scotland Wins by a country mile

But ENJOY What you like yersel : )

http://www.whiskymag.com/awards/wwa/2010/

And below vv The Best Whisky in the World not 3 yrs old.. not 5 yrs old..not 10 yrs old..

not 15 yrs old..not 20yrs old "BUT" ---------> Yes 30 yrs old White&MacKay Scots and a Blended Whisky

which tastes like a Malt Whisky Mmmmm Mmmm Video VV

[video=youtube;bzwKrkl_8-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzwKrkl_8-Y

• Members

I've been wanting to try out some rye!

Oh man Stack you gotsta try Templeton. Made in Templeton IA--small-batch. They run out before it even gets to the stores these days, but are increasing production. Fantastic stuff.

A friend did a blind taste test with Templeton and 5 other higher-end bourbons and whiskeys--all of which were pricier than Templeton (about $35). 6 people participated. To the surprise of everyone, Templeton won hands-down.

• Members

Taylorman, Behave yersel and wakey wakey laddie
irish whiskey is the worst ive ever tasted theirs no comparison to our Scottish Whisky anywhere really
check the Stats :)

Glenmorangie is sais to be a gd Whisky but anyhow all these Countries mentioned

and 2/3 others shall have their own fav's..

Chordy..Your a wiser man not drinking alcohol BUT does no harm if taken in moderation

and with food inside you..Personally i know they do drink to much here
which is a culture thing..and needs to be put to bed BUT wont happen
the Scottish Government have tried to change things BUT it's not going to change
this buy two get one free also doesnt help with the younger generation
and this also was mentioned BUT to no avail..seen not just young men but
many young woman whom can hardly stand on their own 2-feet
which if i had a daughter id certainly would not put up with such..
But as sais a culture thing they seem to have to go out to get drunk
which isnt nice to see some young woman like such..sad really

Anyhow enough of that and all have a merry Christmas :thu:

• Members

Scotch "Whisky" is wonderful stuff to be sure, but comparing to Irish "Whiskey" and saying it's better is like arguing about which flavor of ice cream is better. ('Course Tennessee whiskey trumps them all anyway, but I left them out to simplify thangs).

Ach but that's exactly why my friend's blind taste test was so interesting, and revealing. He poured a blended scotch, a single-malt, a KY bourbon, an Irish whiskey, and I believe a Canadian, and the Rye. People were asked to rank favorites, as well as to say what was what. Nobody got very many right as to the genre, and some missed them all. We all think we would be able to distinguish such things "blind", but it ain't that simple.

• Members
I admit I would like to have a beer with the President, but I would hope he would serve me something besides Bud.
:p
If you watched that beer summit, that looked like what they were drinking.
:lol:

:lol: Well if yer President handed me a Buds id think he was taking the p@ss :lol:
though reckon he'd hand me a Scotch as you say in USA as he'd know its simply "The real McCoy"

But seriously ive tried Buds here also in pubs and its ok.. but prefer the Belhaven Best Beer..a nice Golden colour where the froth
stays all the way down to bottom of the Glass MMMmmm thing is though i dont drink so much beer these days
the odd can or 2 in house now n then..in pubs normally its normally Whisky but i drink a few i admit
to many at times..

Thing is though the Belhaven beer i noted is better from Supermarkets here in cans bought at Asda-Wallmart in America
than from the pubs taps..

• Members
Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden and Blanton's would be my 1,2 and 3. They're all very good. For a less expensive mixing Bourbon I prefer Bulliet to Makers.

I knew there was a reason we got along so well...:wave:

But for Christmas, even Bourbon isn't good enough...:love:

Laubade%20VSOP_250.jpg

Archived