am i weird for loving to play blues on a nylon string classical?

EvilTwin

• Members

Originally posted by TaylorFishin'

I guess Jerry Reed is weird too. He always played (still does) a nylon string guitar. Not a bad blues player either.

I'm pretty sure he could play any style he wants. He was/is a great player as well as writer.

I miss Chet and Jerry together.
:(

Jerry is one of the unsung heros in Guitar playing for sure..

he can lay down some great guitar licks,

that few can even come close to....

***just my thoughts, not that of the Management***

• Members

Originally posted by SteveO

Jerry is one of the unsung heros in Guitar playing for sure..

he can lay down some great guitar licks,

that few can even come close to....

***just my thoughts, not that of the Management***

Steve,

We are in complete agreement. I have been on a Jerry Reed kick as of late and have been working out a few of his tunes. I never knew how complicated his playing was until I tried playing his songs. He truely is a wonderful writer and EXCELLENT player.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob

Think Willie Nelson - no a blues player per se, but he can play it when he wants to, and whatever he plays sounds great on his nylon string "Trigger."

I love Willie Nelson's guitar playing... he flatpicks a classical just behind the beat like no one else can. If you want to hear him play the blues, listen to any live recording of him doing "Night Life." The one that comes to mind is Willie Nelson & Johnny Cash Storytellers.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I dunno what it is, but I think blues stuff sounds very cool with a nylon string guitar.

Am I a weirdo, or do any of you guys do the same? I like playing "Hoochie Coochie Man" as much as "Fur Elise" on mine.

To me, nylon strings translate emotions very well. And what is the Blues if not emotion? I've been wanting to try it myself but I'd have to buy yet another guitar (not that there's anything wrong with that).

• Members

I dunno what it is, but I think blues stuff sounds very cool with a nylon string guitar.

Am I a weirdo, or do any of you guys do the same? I like playing "Hoochie Coochie Man" as much as "Fur Elise" on mine.

I play blues on what ever I can get my hands on - I imagine thats the way its always been.

Phil

• Members

I bought a little 7/8 size Yamaha nylon string on a lark a couple of years ago. It was "close out" priced so low I just couldn't leave it hanging on the wall at GC.

It didn't take me long at all to come to the conclusion that it sounded like it was made for the Blues. That's about all I play on it. I like it so much, I'm gonna get something bigger and better and pass this one on to one of the little ones in the family. I can sometimes go for a week without even picking up one of my steel string guitars. I'm hooked on 'em.

• Members

Why not? If it pleases you, then there you go.

I've certainly played a lot of blues, country, punk, you name it, on my nylon stringed classical. About the only thing I almost never do is play it with a pick. (OK... hard to play straight 8ths without a pick, I'll admit it. :D ) But then I almost never play anything with a pick these days. Still, I have, and I could imagine that sounding good in the right context.

• Members

Blues on a classical guitar?

Watch out, the ghost of Segovia will poop in your sound hole!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I can blame the Ghost of Segovia and not my crummy playing when my gutbox sounds like $***. Thanks for the enlightenment, Riff! :D

• Members

One of my biggest influences is a guy from Ottawa, Canada called Alan Marsden. He's the most unassuming guy, but he can play the absolute crap out of any guitar. His first recordings were just him playing fingerstyle blues on a classical and it was astounding. I can only imagine how good he is now.

• Members

As a long-time flat-picker starting out on fingerstyle blues, I too, am using my nylon string guitar to (learn to) play the blues. I figure if Willie Nelson can flat-pick country, jazz, and everything else on his classical guitar -- why the heck not play fingerstyle blues on one?

Jim

Archived