am i weird for loving to play blues on a nylon string classical?

EvilTwin

• Members

These days all I play is on Nylon strings. I normally sit down and try classical pieces for the first half, and then when I get bored of that I usually beat out some improvised blues riffs.

If you've ever heard John McLaughlin's playing on Friday Night in SF...(I think he's playing a nylon string on that album). Anyway, the second song, after the little Pink Panther bit he starts going into this little stomping blues bit which sounds very cool.

• Members

Originally posted by likkafella

Has this nice warm mellow sound. I've got a very decent steel string and a laminated nylon string. Just put the steel in the closet yesterday, cause all I play is the nylon.

I played nothing but nylon for ten years, but, lately all I play

is my Carvin electric. Just needed a change I geuss. There are some things that only sound right on a nylon though.

• Members

Blues has probably been played on many a gut string guitar. I would never judge someone wierd. I think the more different you are the more special you are. Go for it. I love to sit around with my friends nylon Ovation. Trouble free playing. No wear on my fingers. I like the string separation too.

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Blues has probably been played on many a gut string guitar. I would never judge someone wierd. I think the more different you are the more special you are. Go for it. I love to sit around with my friends nylon Ovation. Trouble free playing. No wear on my fingers. I like the string separation too.

Oh yeah, easy on the fingers, and I can be more accurate on the wide neck. I love my Yamaha CGX171SFC! It smells good too.

Think Willie Nelson - no a blues player per se, but he can play it when he wants to, and whatever he plays sounds great on his nylon string "Trigger."

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

The ease of playing is why I started playing classicals originally. My fingers can only take so much from .12's on an acoustic. For some reason, my callouses peal easier than other people's. On a nylon, it's a non-issue. And blues just sounds cool on it, IMO. Bob pointed out Willie Nelson...and that's an influence on me. Willie plays bluesy/jazzy stuff on a nylon, and it just sounds so right for his music.

I'll have to pick up the steel string again soon, though. Gotta keep as much finger strength as I can.

Reminds me...gotta find "Milk Cow Blues."

And thanks for the support, guys. I'm not too big a weirdo...at least on this matter. :D

• Members

Well....I guess I don't count since I play fingerstyle on a Martin D-35 and I use Ernie Ball (electric strings) .11's on it.I tried the ernie balls out when some of my strings broke.All I had were Extra Slinky 8's....I had a half dozen sets so I took two eleven's (one from another pack or strings) and saved the .8 for my electrics.I love the Ernie Ball electrics on my acoustic.It gives it a clearer sound and not that muddier crap from the .13's I was using.I have no problem with someone playing blues on a nylon acoustic.Hey, it's your guitar.Do as you please with it.I've been making some easy,but complex sounding fingerstyle.I've been kinda combining chords and shifting it around a bit and crossing it with Neil Young stuff.I love fingerstyle now :confused::p don't ask me why.I had no intentions of playing fingerstyle on it when I bought it.I just got done playing outside about 30 mins ago.You can't imagine the crowd I drawed.I just sat on a bench under this maple and started playing.I had no intentions of making money.Passing people walking to restaurants and taking evening walks began throwing money and change in my case and I ended up making $30.00 in about 2-3 hours.I gotta do it more often.Save up for new guitars.I'm thinking about a Taylor to try on for fingerstyle.If I decide I like my Martin better for fingerstyle that's what i'll go with.My dread's output is amazing, people across and down the street were coming and listening.I really have to do it more often.I usually sit out at midnight and stuff under the streetlights in summer sometimes.I gotta play with people around.Who knows.Tommy Shaw (of Styx) was found playing a 12 string on the streets of New Orleans living off tips.Then he got a contract.He's an amazing 12 string player.Dear John is my favorite song of his.

• Members

Oh and Styx's song "Dear John" is about their drummer who died,John Panazzo, I think he died in a car wreck, but i'm not sure.John's brother, Chuck,also bassist for styx, is on leave currently and has been on call recently.He does guest appearences and stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by EvilTwin

I dunno what it is, but I think blues stuff sounds very cool with a nylon string guitar.

Am I a weirdo, or do any of you guys do the same? I like playing "Hoochie Coochie Man" as much as "Fur Elise" on mine.

I like it, too. But some folks think I'm weird, which is strange, because they're the weirdos. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Just about everything sounds great on a nylon string acoustic.

The major advantage, compared to a steel string acoustic, is that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings have real power rather than a tinny sound. To get them to sound less like nylon, all you need do is pick closer to the bridge and they get a nice cutting edge.

Then too, you can bend up a whole tone, without freaking out about growing new calouses to replace the ones you just shredded.

Typically, I'll use the same strings for months on end since I like the dulled-down sound. Just pick a little harder to get the volume.

I am forever amazed at how perfectly in tune a nylon string guitar remains in tune. And they're a lot easier to tune by harmonics.

Archived