If 12 strings isn't enough...

Freeman Keller

• Members

I'm going to build one for TAH and a reso version for Neal

Owned one many years ago...kinda cool sounding, but I eventually decided that 12-strings were plenty. Sold it to a a friend, Johnny Bencomo, out in Arizona, who loves it. Can't recall the name of the guy who built it, but seem to recall he worked w/ Unicorn Mandolins, at that point out of Albequerque, NM. Here's a picture of Johnny w/ it:

l106358-100.jpg

Kept mine strung .010/.018w/.045w, .008/.015/32w, .012/.012/24w, .009/.009./.018w/.014/.014/.014, .009/.009/.009...tuned down two half steps (D G C F A D) w/ 3 octaves on the lowest pair, two octaves on the middle pair and unison on the highest pair.

I suppose the builder got the idea from Smith, because I think I saw that GP article some months prior to buying it...or perhaps it was a simultaneous mental aberation. :)

• Members

Can you imagine changing tunings on the fly.....

I'd save string replacement until a break...with 17 others singing, one broken string wasn't too obvious. And, as I recall, it was always one or the other of the octave 3rds or (rarely) the 2nd octave low E (actually a D)...don't recall any others giving out before it was time to change 'em.

Only real problem I ever had w/ it was finding a capo that would work on all the strings...finally found a Hamilton that had some sort of medical tubing put over the cushion bar, kinda like this pic.

Hamilton.jpg

When Johnny saw it for the first time, his eyes got really big and then he spent the next 8 months trying to talk me out of it...and eventually succeeded. :lol:

Last played it about a year ago...neck still straight, action still comfortable. Builder did a pretty good job. :cool:

• Members

I'd save string replacement until a break...with 17 others singing, one broken string wasn't too obvious. And, as I recall, it was always one or the other of the octave 3rds or (rarely) the 2nd octave low E (actually a D)...don't recall any others giving out before it was time to change 'em.

Only real problem I ever had w/ it was finding a capo that would work on all the strings...finally found a Hamilton that had some sort of medical tubing put over the cushion bar, kinda like this pic.

Hamilton.jpg

When Johnny saw it for the first time, his eyes got really big and then he spent the next 8 months trying to talk me out of it...
and eventually succeeded.
:lol:

Last played it about a year ago...neck still straight, action still comfortable. Builder did a pretty good job.
:cool:

Lucky guy!

Only way I'll probably wind up with one is to stuff the coffee can until it bursts at the seams, then have one built. Betcha Mr. Binh would have a great time building one. :)

• Members

Lucky guy!

Only way I'll probably wind up with one is to stuff the coffee can until it bursts at the seams, then have one built. Betcha Mr. Binh would have a great time building one.
:)

I bet Mr. Binh's version would be pretty cool...and a decent bargain! :thu:

I gave $1200 for mine in 1979 and sold it about 2 years later for the equivalent of $1k (cash and trade-in). It was a good strummer but worfthless for playing lead lines...and it was very neck heavy, obviously.

Archived