bridge pins sticking in bridge

masterbuilt

• Members

I went to change strings last night and I had a hard time removing the bridge pins. In over 40 years playing, I have never encountered trouble like this. So, I figured that the bridge on this Parkwood PW320M must not have been fully dried when the bridge was cut and drilled.

The neck is fine. The guitar is fine, no signs of dryness. The git remains in the case when not in use. So... a little work with the Dremel Tool and now the strings are back in place.

Of course, my thought is this: "How much more shrink will take place?" -- And -- "Will the bridge pop-off as a result of it?"

These and other questions might be answered before long.

Ah, gotta love the market demand for Chinese-made imports and high production numbers. Is demand for rosewood bridges that high in Asian manufacturing plants? Perhaps... or, it may have been one bad bridge... or ...there might be no further incidents.

• Members

Just what did you do with the Dremel? If my pins stick, I push them out from inside the guitar (they can get quite stuck here in humid Thailand).

I used the Dremel to bore out the holes a bit to accommodate the pins when I replaced the strings. Since the rest of the guitar is stable, I believe that the issue is only with the rosewood and not the mahogany back and sides, nor the spruce top. The rosewood was not properly dried before the bridge was cut and drilled. I used a Dremel "cone" with a medium grit to do this at 15,000 rpm working in short intervals.

• Members

In this situation I usually shave a little off the sides of the bridge pins - a new set of pins only costs a few $$$ if I cock up.

Yeah I have to agree, I will sand the pin to fit the bridge unless the bridge was not tapered yet

• Members

I almost always find that I'm not crazy about the fit of Martin's pins. I figure they know what they're doing so there is probably some design to this, but they always seem to sit a bit proud of the bridge and, although this is really not any kind of functional problem, it irks me visually. So when I buy bridge pins for my Martins from Bob Colosi, I always buy a size smaller than I am *supposed to,* and they invariably fit perfectly, particularly as I tend to use medium gauge strings. I suppose it might be a problem if I were to use lights.

I don't think I would have gone to work on my bridge with the Dremel, though. Would probably have done the job on the pins instead. But if you know what you're doing, I guess it's no big whoop.

Archived