Went to Guitar Center Today - Narrowed it Down to Two

• Members

My buddy and I went to Guitar Center and spent almost two hours there. I gave a half dozen guitars a good working over and narrowed the field to two, but first a story:

I had brought with my Seagull to use as a standard. No sense in buying something if it's not any better than what I already have, ya know? Anyway, I checked in at the front desk, where they wrote down the serial number and checked my case. Pretty standard stuff. After about half an hour, the store manager came into the acoustic room and said, "Hey man, some clown just walked out with your case." :facepalm:

I guess this clown and some other guy got into a fight about having an amp too loud (:rolleyes:), so he stormed out of the store and somehow grabbed my case by mistake. Or maybe the lady at the front desk got flustered and gave it to him by mistake. My friend and I ran possible scenarios on the way home and I still can't figure out how it happened :idk:. The manager got me a new (better) case for free and offered to replace anything I had inside. I had a $5 Planet Waves strap thingy and a $40 Lute Hole, which is what I was most concerned about. He offered to have Guitar Center order me a new one, which I was happy about.

So anyway, I got a new case (and eventually, a new Lute Hole) out of the trip. Not what I planned, but hey---an upgraded case is cool!

Back to guitars:

I had a list of things I wanted to try, and here's what I found:

Martin D-15M

I wanted to like it---I really did, especially after all the rave reviews people have given the 15 series Martins. But it just didn't do the trick. I A/B'd it with my Seagull and there wasn't much of a difference. Could've been strings, I guess, but the strings on my 'gull are pretty old too.

Taylor 314ce

One of the better guitars I played. I did a blind test---my friend handed me different guitars, which I played and ranked---and this one came in fourth, I think. It didn't have the bass of the Martins, and it wasn't as responsive to hammer-ons and pull-offs. But still a nice guitar.

Martin OMCPA3

I think this one came in fourth during the blind test. It was a fun little guitar, but it sounded restrained, like something was being held back. The other Martin OM model I played sounded the same way, so maybe that's just the way they're supposed to sound? Dunno.

Martin GPCPA3

This was the crown jewel of the evening, but the strings were very new so it also had the most "zing" which made for unfair comparisons, no doubt. But it was still the best guitar I played. The tone was very upfront and bold, unlike the OMs. It was very responsive and had a nice balance. The grand performance body was somewhere between a dread and an OM. Deep, with very elegant curves. It got first place in the blind test.

Martin OMC16-OGTE

This one got second in the blind test. It was another OM, but it didn't seem as held back as the first. I started A/B'ing it with the GPCPA3 and the more I switched, the more I realized that both guitars sounded good---they were just different. In retrospect, I could probably walk away with either the OMC16 or the GPCPA3 and be happy.

I played a few other guitars in the blind test as well . . . I think a DCPA3 was among them, as was a Taylor 214ce (?). My buddy tossed a Breedlove into the mix and it didn't fare well. He also gave me a GPCPA1, which sounded dead, though I'm pretty sure bad strings were the culprit. He played a lot of the same guitars and he patiently listened during the blind test, and his rankings were similar to mine, though he preferred the OMs. Granted, he's a small guy and already has an OM that he likes, so there may be some bias.

Anyway, I'm split between the GPCPA3 and the OMC16-OGTE. Again, the GP had very fresh strings and I'd like to hear how it sounds after the strings have been broken in. I'll probably go back in a few weekends for round 2, especially since I didn't test electronics at all.

The GP was brighter, crisper, and louder, though those all could be side effects of the strings. The OMC16 was warmer, but it still had a sweet tone and while it was different than the GP, it wasn't undesirable . . . just different.

For people that took the time to read all of this, thanks :).

• Members

I'm sensing that you're going for a smaller guitar - or at least smaller than a dreadnought? If so, see if they have one of those 000-MMV's in stock. I've never played one but if they're anything like the dreadnought version (which will probably be my next Martin if I ever scare up the funds) then it's sure to be a solid addition to your list.

• Members

Surely you told the manager about the $2000 in cash you had stashed in your case, right?

Right! And what about that $50 capo, all of those Blue Chip picks, the new $60 tuner, that $250 custom leather strap and the five sets of very expensive strings??

• Members

Wow, that's quite an experience! Glad to hear they were good enough to replace your case and the stuff in it.

As for the new gits, I guess your next one will be a Martin, eh? Interestingly, last time I gave some gits a test drive at GC (all 12-ers) I also tossed a Breedlove into the mix and was pretty underwhelmed.

• Members

yeah but what he didn't tell the manager was about the stash he had in there. We'll just let that one go.

As for guitars, I guess my question is why are you trying to force yourself to buy a Martin. I am not knocking the company or the guitar, but there is a smorgasboard of guitars and tones out there. I have heard you comment on how you love your seagull. Why not try another Godin family of guitars. There's Normans, Simon & Patricks, Art & Lutherie. Or maybe you are looking for a different sound. I don't know, but don't let yourself purchase something because everyone else says it is a great guitar. Martin is a strong company, and to many they are the best guitar on the market. For me, and I stress for me, I cannot warm up to them. It is not them. It is me. I just don't like them. Oh well. Like I said there is a world a guitars out there. I like you, so far, prefer Godin guitars.

Good luck

• Members

Thanks for the comments, folks. I would've replied sooner, except Internet and phones are down at the house until Wednesday. I don't like AT&T :mad:

Yeah, nice list. I have a d-15. Not the m one either. I dont know the difference, but its like butter.

How about some gibson's in the mix. My parents have a couple and I love them. Why not test some used gibson acoustics?

I think the earlier D-15s (without the M) were made of sapele and the newer ones are made of mahogany. I could be wrong about that though.

I've tried Gibson acoustics on several occasions and they just never do the trick for me. The LC-1 that I played a few weeks ago was probably the only Gibson I've ever played that I liked, but as I said, while it was fun to play, it sounded a bit thin.

Keep the comments coming :thu:!

• Members

Why not buy used?

You can get a D28 or HD28 for a couple hundreds $ more, and you'll end up with a better guitar.

^ Don't know which Chicago GC you went to but the one on North Halsted has a couple of used Northwoods in the $1,999.99-2,199.99 range and a Larriv

• Members

I'll be honest, I recently tried out a GPCPA3 and was really impressed with it. Sounded good, played well, and has the newest Fishman F1 Aura system, which if it's anything like the pedal, probably rocks. In fact, that will probably be my next acoustic guitar purchase. Similarly, I remember trying out the OM version of that and being a little indifferent about it. It sounded good, but not as good as the GCP did. Oh, and I also have an HD-28, a VERY beautiful sounding one that I cherry-picked from the factory, so that should tell you something...

• Members

I wouldn't mind trying some Godin brands, but the thing is that Guitar Center (AFAIK) only carries Seagull, and they don't stock very many. And I already have three Seagulls, and I guess I'm just looking for something different

I hear you. I have the same problem, but I found a mom n pop that is a Godin dealer. They actually carry the full line of products. Not all models, but all lines. There is a big difference in the sounds of the brands, but the neck feel is always familiar. If your looking for something smaller, don't rule out a parlor. Depending on your playing style, they can be quite the ticket. They are really balanced. Art and Lutherie makes a nice one that won't break the bank, and Larruvee makes a great one in the $1500 range. Happy hunting.

• Members

Too bad they didn't have the GC-MMV in stock, I love mine. Probably won't hold resell as much as the regular series (15,16,28, etc) Martin but I think you get more value with the MMV.

I was disappointed about this also. I would've been happy to get either an MMV dread of 000 and put a nice pickup in it after the fact and I really wanted to try one, but I didn't see one on the floor. I'm planning on going back in a few weekends, so I'll check again.

Since it's a GC-exclusive model, you're right---it probably won't hold resale value like a standard Martin. But I don't plan on selling this next guitar (whatever it ends up being) anyway, so that's not an issue. From what I've read, it's basically a D-28 minus some of the fancier accoutrement, so I'm sure it's a stellar instrument.

• Members

Then your best bet is to buy from Maury's or My Favorite Guitars. 40% off MSRP is the norm, and no sales tax.

Wow you're getting a Martin. THat's way cool... !

I've gotten some good numbers from Maury :). If I buy a Martin, which seems likely, I'll buy it from him. I think GC still has some kind of trade-in deal running and I'd like to get rid of my S12, but the 10% discount would cover tax (ain't Chicago swell?) and I'd be surprised if they gave me a penny over $100 for the trade-in. I'd come out way ahead buying from Maury's Music, and I'd much rather give my money to a family business than GC.

• Members

You could take a chance on the MMV. EVERY one I've ever played has been stellar. FWIW, they DO have good resale. A Martin is a Martin in that regard.

Huh. I'll keep this in mind. Hopefully, the next time I visit GC, they'll have one on the floor so I can try it.

• Members

Since you wanted to go "sub-Dreadnought", did you consider a Guild F-30 or F-30R from the new Standard series, built in New Hartford, CT?

http://www.guildguitars.com/index.php/small-body/overview/F-30_Standard/

I got myself a new F-212XL Standard twelvestring recently. Flawless looks and construction, huge sound and plays like a dream.

I had a Guild on my original "to try" list, but Guitar Center doesn't carry them :idk:. I'd like to try before I buy and since I don't have easy access to any Guilds, they're not very high on the list.

Archived