Opinions on DR strings?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I saw some new DR Dragon Skin strings at the local guitar shop today and I was curious. DR claims that its a coated string that doesn't sound like it coated, but they are still new enough where there aren't many user reviews online. While looking up information on them I came across the DR Rares and DR Sunbeams, both of which sound interesting. I have tried D'addarios, Elixir, Martin, Dean Markley, John Pearse, Cleartone, Ernie Ball, GHS, and a few others, but I have always returned to uncoated D'addario PB's. Does anyone have opinions on the DR Rares and Sunbeams, and do you think they'd be something worth me trying?

• Members

I would think that if you keep returning to the D'addarios then why try the DR's. You have been through a lot of makes of strings, and seem to like them the best. However if you are bore and just want to try something new, go for it. It adds spice to life.

• Members

All I've ever tried were the DR Zebras, which were OK, but didn't last all that long for the price...A buddy of mine swears by the Rares, and will use nothing else.

The Dragon Skins sound like something worth looking into, though... why not try a set and let us know what you think? :thu:

Edit - found this single review:

The new K3 coated "Dragon Skins" by DR strings are really quite stunning! I was quite shocked once I strung up my harp guitar and heard them. Loud, vibrant, very balanced with wonderful projection and separation. They last forever, sound fantastic and stay in tune extremely well. Go check 'em out!

• Members

All I've ever tried were the DR Zebras, which were OK, but didn't last all that long for the price...A buddy of mine swears by the Rares, and will use nothing else.

The Dragon Skins sound like something worth looking into, though... why not try a set and let us know what you think?
:thu:

The new K3 coated "Dragon Skins" by DR strings are really quite stunning! I was quite shocked once I strung up my harp guitar and heard them. Loud, vibrant, very balanced with wonderful projection and separation. They last forever, sound fantastic and stay in tune extremely well. Go check 'em out!

That reviewn sounds like it was written by a GC employee. LOL

• Members

When I did the String Test I included DR Sunbeams, which is their round core string. I was quite impressed, however they seemed to have a fairly short life span. (about the same as the other uncoated strings). I have had two sets of their Extended Play PB's on the triple ought - I am getting 3 or more months out of them and really like the sound. The Extended is a hex core with some sort of coating or treatment (they have a burnished color). I just saw an ad for the Dragon Skins, but haven't tried them - it looks like the coating is applied to the wrap before it is warpped and the plain strings are also coated (most are not). Since I do like both the Sunbeams and the Extendeds I'll probably give them a try. One problem for me is that DR is not carried in a local store - I have to order them or buy them when I go to the Big City.

One thing to be very cautious of with DR's - they do not use the same nomenclature as other brands. Their "mediums" are approximately the same guage as most "lights" - buy them by gauge not by name.

• Members

The Dragon Skins sound like something worth looking into, though... why not try a set and let us know what you think?
:thu:

I found that "review" too. Unless he has a degree in marketing as well as being a musician, the copy is too well written for a non-marketer. Its just advertising trying to masquerade as word-of-mouth, because word-of-mouth is trusted more than more traditional forms of advertising.

• Members

I found that "review" too. Unless he has a degree in marketing as well as being a musician, the copy is too well written for a non-marketer. Its just advertising trying to masquerade as word-of-mouth, because word-of-mouth is trusted more than more traditional forms of advertising.

So are you saying musicians can't be articulate? Can't write well? I wouldn't necessarily flatter myself by saying I'm a "musician" but I'd like to think I can assemble a decently written sentence. My own quibble would be that most of us don't play a "harp guitar" and would really like to know how the strings would sound on a regular guitar.

• Members

DR Rare is my string of choice for my Guild GAD-25. That git has never sounded better since I switched to them. Though phos bronze, they're just a tad brighter than the D'Addario I used to use, which is perfectly suited to the all-hog Guild. Life span is excellent, too. I'm changing strings every other month instead of once per month.

• Members
DR Rare is my string of choice for my Guild GAD-25. That git has never sounded better since I switched to them. Though phos bronze, they're just a tad brighter than the D'Addario I used to use, which is perfectly suited to the all-hog Guild. Life span is excellent, too. I'm changing strings every other month instead of once per month.

Good point about the longevity - I don't know how they do it, but it's really obvious compared to Martin SP, D'Addario, John Pearce, etc.

• Members

So are you saying musicians can't be articulate? Can't write well? I wouldn't necessarily flatter myself by saying I'm a "musician" but I'd like to think I can assemble a decently written sentence. My own quibble would be that most of us don't play a "harp guitar" and would really like to know how the strings would sound on a regular guitar.

I'm not saying that a musician cannot be articulate. I was simply saying that that review sounds too much like advertising copy rather than genuine word-of-mouth. And while its possible that a non-marketer wrote it, I believe the probability of that is low.

• Members

I really like DR's. I use Titefit and Pure Blues on my electrics. I tried Zebra's and echo what TAH has to say. I was using D'addario PB on my acoustics but decided to switch to DR Rare since I like their electric strings so much. I used them for a couple of years and found they sounded really nice and tend to last longer than D'addario's.

Then I got a "bad" pack. Totally dead out of the package. I've never played a worse sounding string. I switched back to D'addario.

I've heard of people complaining about inconsistencies with DR electric strings, but have never had a problem until now. The thing about strings is, if you get a duff set you're stuck with them. Never had a problem with acoustic D'addario's so I think I'll stick with them.

I'm currently trying out a set of Elixer's on my new archtop. So far they sound about the same as D'addario PB but cost twice the price. Not sure what the extra $ is for. Since I just restrung my 000 with D'addario's, we'll see if the Elixer's really do last longer or if it's just a bunch of hype.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

"I found that "review" too. Unless he has a degree in marketing as well as being a musician, the copy is too well written for a non-marketer. Its just advertising trying to masquerade as word-of-mouth, because word-of-mouth is trusted more than more traditional forms of advertising."

Hey Guys, I'm Dan LaVoie. Thank you for the "too well written" comment but I actually never went to college, let alone have a degree in marketing. I don't work for DR strings or for guitar center...... I'm just a musician (harp guitarist) who really likes DR Dragonskin strings.

I've tried MANY different brands of coated strings, I found the DR Dragonskins to be IT for me. For some reason, DR's feel like they have slightly less tension, which I really like. Other brands of coated strings felt too tight, slippery, and others felt too "dry". I did find it really hard to put into words, how these strings feel and sound, which might be why some say my "review" didn't sound real. But, it's a real review, I'm a real musician, who really uses Dr Dragonskin strings on all my guitars and harp guitars. Has anyone else had the chance to check em out yet? Would love to hear what you think!

Dan LaVoie

www.DanLaVoie.com

• Members

Thank you Dan, and welcome. Based on the fact that I like coated strings in general, as well as both DR Rares and their Extended play, I'm going to give them a try.

I'm also fascinated by harp guitars (had a chance to play a couple of Mike Doolin's, but I didn't have a clue what to do with them) - it would be very interesting to hear more from you, both about your music and the guitars.

• Members

That reviewn sounds like it was written by a GC employee. LOL

I doubt that there's a GC employee on earth who even knows what a harp guitar is :lol:.

Okay, okay. So maybe I'm being a little harsh. But I could be right . . .

FWIW, I think the review passes the smell test. I've definitely read reviews that were far more glowing than this one. He likes the strings and he managed to say something more informative than "they are good strings because they sound good." If the reviewer claimed that these strings made his Zager sound better than his Martin D-45, I would be suspect. But liking the strings and giving them a favorable review? Nothing suspect about that, IMO.

In any case, legit review or not, I haven't tried DR strings, though I'd be interested in giving them a shot---especially the new coated ones. I've tried Elixirs and I'll never use them again, and for a few years I used EXP16s almost exclusively. I've tried the new Cleartone-coated Martins and they were okay. I'll have to pick up a set of DR Dragon Skins the next time I order strings.

• Members

'77, note that Dan does have three endorsements on his web page, DR being one of them. That frequently implies some financial connections or at least free product (which could be fairly significant if you restring a harp guitar very often). Not saying that is bad, or anything, but maybe Dan should have mentioned that in his post.

• Members

'77, note that Dan does have three endorsements on his web page, DR being one of them. That frequently implies some financial connections or at least free product (which could be fairly significant if you restring a harp guitar very often). Not saying that is bad, or anything, but maybe Dan should have mentioned that in his post.

FK, I missed that. I glanced at his website briefly just to make sure it wasn't knockwood pulling off an elaborate Rickroll :lol:. But I didn't see any of his endorsements. I suppose the fact that he's endorsed by DR Strings probably makes the review slightly more suspect.

• Members

I thought something didn't smell right, but I figured I was being paranoid. The review sounded too much like marketing copy (which I'm qualified to judge, I have a degree in marketing) and then the apparent writer finds one post on one forum questioning its genuineness and joins to respond. How many of you do the same when you review something?

• Members

The review sounded too much like marketing copy (which I'm qualified to judge, I have a degree in marketing) and then the apparent writer finds one post on one forum questioning its genuineness and joins to respond. How many of you do the same when you review something?

Sheesh, I do, when I find someone online saying my words aren't genuine or some made up marketing scheme... Guys, I use the things I use, because I think they rock! Period.

I'm not going to get on stage and use things I don't feel passionate about and sound crappy. I don't get paid from Dtar, DR, Holloway, K&K or any other company's I use and I don't get free stuff either. You are entitled to your opinion about me that's fine. But, don't read what I say about how awesome Holloway harp guitars or K&k pickups are or you'll really think I'm a marketing guy for those companys too! Hope you guys all find the gear out there that inspires you to make music and a have fun time doing it. That's what all these companys did for me, hope you all find the same out there.

• Members

I've worked with a LOT of marketing people in my life (it's OK - I've had my shots) and can say that the original review would never have been done as a marketing effort by a good marketer. It would have been impossible to tell that it was marketing if it actually was, if you catch my meaning. :)

Archived