OT: Ethical advice sought...

• Members

You might be wise to go ahead and give him his check back. He could stop payment on it, and given the way he's acting, he might just do it. I wouldn't trust him.

GET YOUR GUITAR BACK...PRONTO!

100% agree with this. It just isn't worth the hassle the guy can give you if he wants to really make an issue out of it. I'ld give him the money back once you get the guitar and tell him to walk. Who buys a $5000 guitar for their kid to play anyways?

I can't believe you handed the guitar over with a personal check and a promise not to cash it for a week. I don't have that kind trust for strangers. Hell I don't have that kind of trust for alot of people I know.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just called his bank and verified that the cashier's check is on the level...WHOOOOO!

1/2 the battle won.

Cool beans. Just get the guitar back, cut him a check, and move on. Don't bother with a "restocking fee" or anything like that. Take the Zen approach on this one and count your lucky stars that the cashier's check was legit! :)

• Members

Cool beans. Just get the guitar back, cut him a check, and move on. Don't bother with a "restocking fee" or anything like that. Take the Zen approach on this one and count your lucky stars that the cashier's check was legit!
:)

p.s. We want pictures when you get it back -- NVGRD (New Vintage Guitar Recovered Day)

• Members

I'd hammer the cashier's check immediately, and then deposit the personal check. A deal is a deal. The guitar wasn't damaged an any way, they spent and hour and a half playing it before committing to buy it. They knew what they were getting and signing on for. Buyer's remorse? Ain't your problem.

• Members

I'd hammer the cashier's check immediately, and then deposit the personal check. A deal is a deal. The guitar wasn't damaged an any way, they spent and hour and a half playing it before
committing
to buy it. They knew what they were getting and signing on for. Buyer's remorse? Ain't your problem.

If it had been a all-cash deal, I would agree with this. ^^ Unfortunately, the personal check is probably no good by now which puts TAH in a very unenviable position.

• Members

Get the guitar back. Check it over. Wait 2 days to cool off. Check the guitar again. Only then consider the refund. Like most folks say, the cheque is already a dud. Oh, and 20% restocking fee is worthy of this asshole.

I hate it when being nice to folk causes the good guy hassle. Aaargh!

• Members

Isn't writing bad checks illegal?

Per my experience as a police officer, Terry has already negated that issue by accepting a post-dated check or agreeing to hold the check because he is accepting the check knowing that it is no good at that time. It is extremely difficult to later turn that into a bad check case. I'm thinking that, in this day and age, it's probably a bad idea to accept any check unless you know who you are dealing with.

• Members

You might be wise to go ahead and give him his check back. He could stop payment on it, and given the way he's acting, he might just do it. I wouldn't trust him.

GET YOUR GUITAR BACK...PRONTO!

I agree - you either refund his money or you will take a $2000.00 loss. There is a good possibility that the guy is backing out because he doesn't have the $2000.00 to cover the check.

• Members

Can't you call the guy's bank to see whether the account holds sufficient funds to cover the personal check? I remember banks used to provide that info. The entire situation sounds like a total pain in the ass--you tried to help the guy out, and he took (and is taking) full advantage of it.

• Members

He just sent me an email (certain details obscured, per a lawyer friend's suggestion):

Mr. Hall,

Please reconsider your decision on the XXXX. I offer $200 plus the new

strings on the XXXX as compensation for your travel and time.

Regards,

(Buyer)

:facepalm:

Win, lose or draw, I don't believe I'm ever going to be as accomodating again. :rolleyes:

• Members

Be very wary of checks. They can have a very long time to "clear" as far as ALL the banks involved are concerned. Even if money has been credited to your account, unless you take it out and don't leave anything behind your bank may back-peddle on you and pull the funds if you leave anything to pull. Cash is cash and all the rest is BS. Terry, cover your ass six ways from Sunday.

• Members

I remember in 1972, I was young and and traveling around the states, seeing the land. I had purchased a nice 3-speed bicycle and used it to get to work and travel around town. When I was ready to leave that town, I needed to get rid of the bicycle as it didn't fit my hitchhiking mode of travel. A guy where I was working heard about the bike being available and readily agreed to the price. I let him have the bike and was to be paid on payday. Payday came and went and I had to go to his house and get the bike back. He didn't have the money and was heartbroken, he had already given the bike to his son, and his son was watching the whole exchange.

To this day I regret taking the bike. I was right, and I took that which was mine, but the look in the sons eyes still haunts me. I took away his superhero father that day. His Dad wasn't a bad guy, and he wasn't trying to steal the bike, he thought he would have the money on payday, but he was one of those hapless people who never get a grasp on handling money. He wanted the bike for his son and thought he could make it happen.

I suspect your case is more closely related to my experience than to a Nigerian scammer. I will bet that the father is just like the father in my story. Get your guitar, get your money, charge a PIA fee, but navigate this mess gently if possible. You don't want to be haunted by the face of a son seeing his father fail. Trust me on that.

• Members

I remember in 1972, I was young and and traveling around the states, seeing the land.

Good story, and I was also thinking about the 1970's after reading the responses to this thread. Today, everybody is assumed to be a Nigerian scammer. In the 1970's, everybody picked up hitchhikers. What happened?

• Members

What an utter, outright, maddening {censored}ing douchebag this "buyer" is. I didn't get the sense initially that the cashier's check had been forged, because if this dimwit had done that, he'd have (A) done it for the entire amount and not tried to haggle (you can write a forged cashier's check for any amount you want, so why screw around?) and (B) typically in a forgery case, once the check is accepted and the merchandise is handed over, the perp typically gets as far the {censored} away as possible as fast as possible. No point creating some drama about second thoughts.

Still, WHAT a complete {censored}up. Generally, when you try to negotiate a price downward, isn't it typical to offer something like cash? Otherwise, WTF incentive is there for the seller to accept a lower price??? I cannot imagine walking into a car dealership and saying, "Hey, tell you what. I'll give you HALF what you're asking, but to sweeten the deal for you, I'll pay you in Lithuanian pennies!!!"

I would absolutely take Larry50's advice. I would also not return the cashier's check amount in cash - I'd return it in the form of a cashier's check. Why make it any easier for this prick than he made things for you? Yes, a cashier's check will cost you a few bucks. Worth it, IMHO. As for the $200, there is no conceivable excuse for the guy to try giving you that in the form of a check.

I definitely would not have taken this guy's deal in the first place, but TAH I do not say that judgmentally. I can only say it at all because I've been burned enough times before by making deals I shouldn't have.

Hope this ends well for you.

• Members

Give him a post-dated check for the refund and explain that you want to have the guitar professionally inspected before deciding whether to take it back and refund the money. Hell - for all you know he screwed it up by trying to adjust the action while changing the strings.

I'd drop the "restocking fee" I think. I know I mentioned it before, but it's just going to leave him feeling like he's somehow hard done by in all of this. It's better to leave him feeling that he screwed around with you and accept the blame.

• Members

This thread sounds like a meeting of the West Los Angeles Jewish Bar Association.

You ask 10 lawyers for an opinion at one of those meetings, and you'll get 15 opinions. :lol::lol:

Keeps us abreast TAH. We can always send in some nice muscle or something. ;)

• Members

I remember in 1972, I was young and and traveling around the states, seeing the land. I had purchased a nice 3-speed bicycle and used it to get to work and travel around town. When I was ready to leave that town, I needed to get rid of the bicycle as it didn't fit my hitchhiking mode of travel. A guy where I was working heard about the bike being available and readily agreed to the price. I let him have the bike and was to be paid on payday. Payday came and went and I had to go to his house and get the bike back. He didn't have the money and was heartbroken, he had already given the bike to his son, and his son was watching the whole exchange.

To this day I regret taking the bike. I was right, and I took that which was mine, but the look in the sons eyes still haunts me. I took away his superhero father that day. His Dad wasn't a bad guy, and he wasn't trying to steal the bike, he thought he would have the money on payday, but he was one of those hapless people who never get a grasp on handling money. He wanted the bike for his son and thought he could make it happen.

I suspect your case is more closely related to my experience than to a Nigerian scammer. I will bet that the father is just like the father in my story. Get your guitar, get your money, charge a PIA fee, but navigate this mess gently if possible. You don't want to be haunted by the face of a son seeing his father fail. Trust me on that.

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking that this is depressingly close to the actual truth of the matter... :(

• Members

Certainly not to make light of this by any means, but this is quite a story, and if I were a songwriter, which I'm not (heck, I don't even like singing at all) I would write a song about this event.

And Terry, I wonder what would have happened if you had told the guy you had spent the money and it wasn't available to return to him...

• Members

I handled most of the scam reports before I retired from the P.D. This doesn't sound like a "Nigerian Scam", which usually can be traced to somewhere overseas, and you get NOTHING. Since the Cashier's Check cleared, it sounds to me like this may be a case of a Dad giving in to a spoiled kid, and over extending himself. I would get the guitar back. If he agrees to a few hundred for your trouble, fine. If not, oh well. Oh, when dealing with checks, also beware. People are now counterfeiting checks using the actual routing numbers from a real bank. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for them to catch it, and they come after YOU for the money.

• Members

STFU noob.

A bicycle is one thing. A $5k guitar is quite another thing. Something closer to your 1972 bicycle sitch'iation would be this jackass overextending himself on, say, a used entry-level Yammie for his boy. But we're talking several grand in this case, which signals to me that the dad here is just an inconsiderate jackass who deserves to be shunned by his offspring and chased through the streets by angry villagers with pitchforks.

In the case of the bicycle, you went about it wrong, IMHO. The thing to do there was not only to take back the bike, but to give the dad a ferocious beating in front of his son, then demand sex with the mother for your trouble. And at a minimum, I would have burned down their home on the way out. Sure, the kid might have been disappointed about the bicycle for a few minutes (kids are very resilient), but then ultimately I am certain he'd have been very grateful to you for demonstrating the proper way to treat folks who cause an inconvenience.

Archived