Virtual Open Mic Alert -- This Sunday!

Stackabones

• Members

Hey Rob!

Good to see you
:wave:

Thanks, Howard.

You know, we never did get together for that song. What was the name of if? I remember you sent it to me but now I can't find it. Was it "A Message to Pretty? Or something like that.

• Members

Thanks, Howard.

You know, we never did get together for that song. What was the name of if? I remember you sent it to me but now I can't find it. Was it "A Message to Pretty? Or something like that.

It was indeed "A Message to Pretty". In the end I did it without you LOL. Maybe something else, sometime?

• Members

Ach! I love Ian Anderson. JT played near Rome in July, at an ancient amphitheater in Ostia, but I couldn't go.

So which classic are you doing...? My vote: "Locomotive Breath"!

That was actually the first JT song I learned, and one of the first songs I ever learned. My brother used to play it so I learned it from him. He used to play Wind Up as well. 2 of my mom's favorite songs.

Some time ago I decided to learn a couple of songs from Aqualung. Actually three, but the third one is proving to be a little harder than I expected. I had put them on the back burner for a while when I got into writing my first original a couple of months ago but I recently picked them back up and have been practicing them over and over almost every day.

Anderson's songs can be real easy if you want to just strum them. However, adding his type of picking can be quite a challenge, especially if you want to sing at the same time. The timings aren't always what you would expect them to be.

So, which one will I be doing? Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave you wondering about this fairy tale. ;)

• Members

It was indeed "A Message to Pretty". In the end I did it without you LOL. Maybe something else, sometime?

Yeah, well, sorry I left you hanging like that. I'm sure life got in the way back then. I hadn't even played much up until 2-3 months ago when I got my room back. It's our home office and my wife and I decided to move out of it for a while to accommodate 2 of her late brother's kids after her sister-in-law remarried and moved to Georgia. They've since decided to move back with their mother. My wife actually prefers her new spot for her desk and "allowed" me to take the office back for myself, so now it's my office/music room:

DSCF6604.jpg

I'd still be interested in doing something together, so if you think of anything, let me know.

• Members

. . . . . I'd still be interested in doing something together, so if you think of anything, let me know.

We all have busy times so no worries. But sure, it would be great to collaborate. I'll be in touch but not sure when - not having much time to play and record at the moment.

• Members

So, which one will I be doing? Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave you wondering about this fairy tale.
;)

Well I look fwd to it eagerly, whatever you do. If it's something from the era up to and including Thick as a Brick, then it's a song grooved deeply into my ear-bones through many thousands of listenings.

• Members

Work continues to encroach on the majority of my free time, but, I found enough to create an original this month. My Internet connection is going to be spotty this weekend, but, I have my Absentee Post uploaded and ready to go.

As always, I'll be looking forward to some quality tunes to stream over the coming week :thu:

• Members

Got an Ian Anderson classic I've been working on.

I just saw it pop up on my subscriptions on Youtube. Good work! Not as bouncy as Andersen but frankly I think the guy was on something so I'd take mellow on any day. You certainly did better on this than I could have. How DO you do all that fancy strumming and flatpicking and get all the words to the lyrics out? Damned if I know how! ;)

BTW, it looks like I'm passing on this week's VOM unless I get a quiet moment sometime this weekend. I've been wanting to do a mellower version of Counting Crow's "Rain King" but can't pull it off with the kids competing and each pestering me nonstop for 110% of my attention. :mad:

• Members

I just saw it pop up on my subscriptions on Youtube. Good work! Not as bouncy as Andersen but frankly I think the guy was on something so I'd take mellow on any day. You certainly did better on this than I could have. How
DO
you do all that fancy strumming and flatpicking and get all the words to the lyrics out? Damned if I know how!
;)

So Kwak took a peek--I haven't, but I'm guessing it's "Mother Goose" now...

• Members

BTW, it looks like I'm passing on this week's VOM unless I get a quiet moment sometime this weekend. I've been wanting to do a mellower version of Counting Crow's "Rain King" but can't pull it off with the kids competing and each pestering me nonstop for 110% of my attention.
:mad:

Just do a true VOM1T Kwak! Lock yourself in the closet for 5 minutes and post whatever eventuates!

Or do like Frets has done in some of his vids--let kids run amok while you play. It's actually very endearing.

• Members

How
DO
you do all that fancy strumming and flatpicking and get all the words to the lyrics out? Damned if I know how!
;)

That's what took me so long to get it to a point where I could be satisfied with a recording.

It's like a golf swing. There's so much to think about that if you try to think about everything, you'll just mess it all up. As I practiced this song, I would think about the lyrics and then mess up one of the picking parts. Or I would concentrate on the picking and flub the words. This take was literally the cleanest version I'd played, counting practice and recording.

Thanks for the kind words, Kwak. I appreciate it.

• Members

So Kwak took a peek--I haven't, but I'm guessing it's "Mother Goose" now...

Good guess, Michael, but no. You're close though.

I don't think this one is as intricate as the song I submitted for the VOM. At least I'm not playing it that way. However, the little lead diddy that he plays before the last verse and at the very end is kicking my ass. :)

Archived