What acoustic guitar is as good as it gets?

Count Dissident

• Members

Which standard production make and model acoustic or acoustic/electric is the best overall guitar that can be purchased? Please exclude anything that is custom built,limited edition or out of production guitars that are nearly impossible to find used. I realize that this is subjective to the listener but I am curious to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

-Count

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is the best food? Standard restaurant fare only. No home-cooked meals or fancy restaurants, please.

If your answer is steak and potatoes, then you'll like Martins.

If your answer is Chinese food, then check out Eastman.

Canadian bacon? Perhaps Larrivee will appeal to you.

Texas chili? Collings.

Whole wheat pasta? Santa Cruz.

• Members

As said in the OP "it's all subjective."

The most valuable guitar known to mankind is the one that makes its your heart sing every time it is played.

It's the one that you simply cannot leave the git store without.

It's the one you subsequently can't live without, even if you have to live in a van and eat Ramen.

It's the one that celebrates life's joyous moments with you....

And the one you turn to when you feel like the world has abandoned you.

The most valuable and priceless guitar in the world has but one very special name to everyone who owns one, regardless of what's painted on the headstock.......

"Mine."

• Members

As said in the OP "it's all subjective."

The most valuable guitar known to mankind is the one that makes its your heart sing every time it is played.

It's the one that you simply cannot leave the git store without.

It's the one you subsequently can't live without, even if you have to live in a van and eat Ramen.

It's the one that celebrates life's joyous moments with you....

And the one you turn to when you feel like the world has abandoned you.

The most valuable and priceless guitar in the world has but one very special name to everyone who owns one, regardless of what's painted on the headstock.......

"Mine."

Nice answer ... no argument with that.

• Members

When I think "standard production model" and "as good as it gets," Martin D-35 is the first model that comes to mind. Not the only one, though. There are a few models I really love, with the D-35 at the top of the list:

D-35

OM-21

D-15M

Guild D-55

Gibson J-45

Gibson J-200

All very different, all great, all pretty standard.

• Members

If you are an electric player with small hands that can't handle an 1 11/16" nut width the answer is probably Ovation. I don't know why they claim having a 1 11/16" nut width on their website because there is absolutely no way it is as big as a Martin or Taylor.

An exchange student who was here in 2007 bought a Martin with rosewood back and sides and I wanted to keep that guitar for myself, but didn't have $1,000. And it didn't have a cutaway. Now I am trying to figure out which ovation to choose.

Archived