VOM 45 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, October 9, 2011

Stackabones

• Members

Absentee Postings

FussenKuh Comments:

I've decided to dip back into the world of Alice in Chains for this VOM. Here's the title track of AiC's most recent album and, in my opinion, one of the best tracks on said album. It's basically a tribute to the band's late lead singer; the band's way of mourning the loss while starting a new chapter in the band's story.

On a personal note, this video marks my first attempts at recording myself playing slide guitar... even if it's only a few seconds worth of slide. We'll see if I can get anything more complicated recorded in the future. Besides the slide, there are a few more guitar parts that make up the tune. Each one was recorded in a single take... so, they're kinda, sorta, VOM1T ;-) For the vocals, a fellow YouTuber, Kevin Wright, has stepped up to the plate again to lend his talents to the song.

Here's hoping you all enjoy it!

Absentee Post from:
FussenKuh

Title:
Black Gives Way To Blue

Credits:
Alice in Chains

• Members

Sorry to repeat myself--I posted a solo version of this song on VOM early in 2010 shortly after I wrote it. It's evolved a bit since then, and the song has become the set-closer for my duo--here's a recording we did a couple of months ago. It's true to the VOM1T ethos on the acoustic guitar, mando and vocals tracks, but I did add rhythm with a tambo and an unplugged Strat strum track.

http://www.box.net/shared/2199ji72ac

Roadkill

• Members

ahhh, the sweet smell of rain in texas. not many mornings like this lately 'round here. abandoned your birds, a song to lift the veil from the boomers. (unrelated, but timely, congratulations all you boomer sooners for putting the yak on the longhorns. damn okies...)>>

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=11020856

abandoned your birds

c f

living on words

c

set fire to your house

g

abandoned your birds

c

forgot to let your dog out

f c

and it's a damned good thing to write about

all the smoke, all the flames, all the char

and it's a shame we never seem to read about

g f c

the way these damned old people really are

living on words

set fire to your house

abandoned your birds

and it's a damned good thing to talk about

they all seemed to get wrecked at woodstock

then blew the banks and the earth to smitherens

the way these damned old people really are

living on words

set fire to your house

abandoned your birds

• Members

Here's a lil tune I wrote as part of a collection of ukulele songs...

http://davejacquet.bandcamp.com/track/dreamin

Dreaming of oceans and sand on my feet

Dreaming of cocktails, both tall and sweet

Dreaming of times long gone I wanna live again

Dreaming of living at my own beat

Dreaming of napping out there in the heat

Dreaming of a bottle of rum, my long lost friend

CH:

Come on let's go back, won't you take my hand

I know we've got nothing, we'll live off the land

Dreaming of sailing till the sea and sun meet

Dreaming of a world where no one has to cheat

Dreaming of a life where nothing needs to be planned

Dreaming of an island where there is no street

Dreaming of a bed with no top sheet

Dreaming of the sounds of an old jazz band

CH

It's a once in a lifetime chance X3

• Members

"Wicked Twisted Road" by Reckless Kelly. I ran across this song by accident and really liked it. It turned out to be a great Jam song, three chords, easy to play and lots of room for mandolin, fiddle, banjo and even harmonica breaks. Played on my Epi Masterbilt 12 fret. Thanks for listening.

http://www.box.net/shared/57zs4zfemp8djtaug9v6

• Members

"Wicked Twisted Road" by Reckless Kelly. I ran across this song by accident and really liked it. It turned out to be a great Jam song, three chords, easy to play and lots of room for mandolin, fiddle, banjo and even harmonica breaks. Played on my Epi Masterbilt 12 fret. Thanks for listening.

Pleasantly done!...

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Thanks to everyone who gave my submission a listen this month! While it kinda looks like the VOM was a bit light on participants this time around, it certainly didn't suffer from lack of talent :thu:

Stack: Even if I don't recognize what you're playing, it's always a joy to listen to you play. More than anything, it always sounds like your having fun

Starrshine: Another one I'm not familiar with ;) I think the guitar and mando work mixed into something beautiful sounding. Great job!

Michael: Great, now you're gonna make me go dig through the VOM archives hunting for the solo rendition again... Lucky for me, Ohioarrow's archiving efforts ought to make that an easy task. As for this rendition, I think it sounds fantastic! Much like Starrshine's effort, I love the mix of mando and guitar. Unfortunately, I had to really strain to hear the Washing Machine in the mix; I think it needs a more prominent role ;-)

garthman: It's amazing how good something can sound recorded with a free piece of software and an inexpensive mic! Great work garth!

hypcollector: Alrighty, I'm not sure if I'm listening to an original or a cover here Mr. Hyp. With the lyrics and chords called out, I'm guessing original? Whatever the case may be, I though you played/sung it quite beautifully.

BlackHatHunter: Well played, sir! I love the sound of that Uke

Sir Cecil Figg: I have to say, this is probably the last piece of music I was expecting to hear at the VOM today. And, by no means do I mean that in any sort of negative way! This is exactly what I think is so unique about this VOM project; everyone and everything is welcome which exposes my ears to all sorts of cool new music :thu:

TSMusic: I always enjoy listening to your energetic instrumentals! This tune is no exception :)

Frets99: I'd upgrade to your vocals over what I typically spew out any day ;) And, yes, that Epi sounds lovely. On a side note, what video editing software are you using?

kujozilla: I can't hear anything that's begging for forgiveness in this tune, Mr. Kujo. Well played

fastblueheeler: Can't say I'm familiar with the tune, but, I love the sound of that Masterbilt and harmonica :thu:

sixgunner455: FAIL :( I couldn't get the vom hosting site to load the tune. I'm going to have to check back later...

Benzem: I love the raw nature of this song. You played and sang quite well

• Members

fussenkuh - sorry you couldn't play the song. It's been played several times through the website link, though, so ... I don't know what to say 'bout that!

Some very interesting songs this time around. I'd like to thank everyone who participated. It was an entertaining evening.

• Members

fussenkuh - sorry you couldn't play the song. It's been played several times through the website link, though, so ... I don't know what to say 'bout that!

Try and try again... it has now loaded for me :)

Very peaceful sounding tune to close out my VOM listening. I wish I could pick and sing like that. You make it sound so easy and effortless

Archived