Another whisky thread

JasmineTea

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Though I could probably use a sniff of the stronger stuff every now and then (parenthood has been a really tough job lately which reminds me of a funny line in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation) I prefer to keep my imbibing limited to a bottle of beer every other day or so to take the sharp edge off the day. After doing a short stint in the Navy and having a run-in with the law in college I kind of swore off the harder stuff before it really became a problem. Nowadays though my wife and I will enjoy a bottle of wine or two with friends who come over after we put the kids to bed - we rarely can get a babysitter to handle our special needs child. On those occasions we usually have either a riesling or a merlot. Nothing too fruity. I prefer the reds anyway because it's good for the blood.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Sunday, I finally had a Manhattan made with Bulleit Rye Whiskey. And man-o-man am I a convert! I'd heard that Rye was the traditional way to make a Manhattan but just hadn't ever ordered one. It gives the drink a nice crisp bite that it was missing.

• Members

Well, I won't drink any whisky that comes in a plastic bottle. And it's gotta have a cork top, with the exception of Bushmills.

speaking of Bushmills, I tried the 16 y/o multi-barrel single malt. It ends up being my backstop bottle for when I run out of other stuff. I mean, I can't get used to it. All the woody flavor over that Bushmills twang..doesnt seem to make sense..

One bourbon I want to try is Booker, and this thread has got me curious about a few others.

Good quality Single Malt Scotch does the trick for me, though, and I've come to have an open mind about them, they're all different, some very different. Compare something like Laphroaig to Talisker for example. Two completely different worlds, and I like them both.

Caol Ila has come to be my favorite. Greenish in color when it's in the glass. Add a drop or two of water..Somewhat smokey, peaty, and all that other stuff going on. i love it.

another one I really like is Oban. no peat and smoke, just a lot of flavor.

Yes, I'll have ot check out a few of these...

But I'll certainly second Oban

• Members

Good quality Single Malt Scotch does the trick for me, though, and I've come to have an open mind about them, they're all different, some very different. Compare something like Laphroaig to Talisker for example. Two completely different worlds, and I like them both.

Caol Ila has come to be my favorite. Greenish in color when it's in the glass. Add a drop or two of water..Somewhat smokey, peaty, and all that other stuff going on. i love it.

another one I really like is Oban. no peat and smoke, just a lot of flavor.

Second the Caol Ila. At a Scotch tasting a few weeks ago, sampled 6, Caol Ila was the most dentist's office, horrible stuff of the bunch.. and then it wasn't. It was clearly the best. Talisker was my second, my wife favored the Jura Superstition. Cool bottle, but tasted to me like good bourbon. I want smoke, peat, licorice, vapo-rub.... character!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Dewar's White Label did me in on Scotch 40 years ago....never got over spending 2 days throwing up at age 16. Dad was empathetic, but Mom laughed her butt off and gave me crap about it for years. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but now that she's in an Alzheimer's unit....I'd give almost anything to have her make fun of me again. Hell, I'd even get sick drinking that snake piss, Scotch, to do that.

There's one Rye Whiskey I'd like to try: apparently, at Mt. Vernon, a team has recreated Rye from George Washington's personal recipe, and it's supposed to be really, really good.

Meantime, I'm a rum drinker first. Old Rum, from fresh-pressed cane juice, not sugar, not molasses. Aged 15-40 years in old Bourbon barrels scraped down and re-flamed. Nothing like it!

• Members

Depends on what I'm wearing:

Leather jeans, cashmere sweater + high heeled boots = Turkey rocks, water back

Little black dress, 5" spike heels = Manhattan (made with Dewars - it's traditional)

Long black dress = Rob Roy (dry version, mind you)

Short silver sequin dress or anything beaded = vodka gimlet (Russo-Baltique, if you please)

Jeans, flannel shirt, 5x-beaver {censored}kicker hat + big belt buckle (sterling silver, natch) = boilermaker

Morning after, wearing nothing at all = mimosa (made with Dom, of course, but I'll settle for Moet if I like you enough). Don't forget the Eggs Sardou for breakfast.

• Members

Little black dress, 5" spike heels = Manhattan (made with Dewars - it's traditional)

Short silver sequin dress or anything beaded = vodka gimlet (Russo-Baltique, if you please)

Jeans, flannel shirt, 5x-beaver {censored}kicker hat + big belt buckle (sterling silver, natch) = boilermaker

Morning after, wearing nothing at all = mimosa (made with Dom, of course, but I'll settle for Moet if I like you enough). Don't forget the Eggs Sardou for breakfast.

eeeeeeeeeyowwwwwwwww I'll 'ave the lot :):love::)

• Members

This post is worthless without pics!:wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey, all you fellow cheapskates -- I read in a magazine last year that when compared to more expensive bourbons, Old Grand-Dad was preferred over some costing twice as much. I tried it, and they're right. About $18 for the 1.75 bottle, and it's not bad at all.

Grand-dad.png

• Members

Bourbon. Well, ....bourbon. Having had some good bourbons, and some mediocre ones, I gotta say that the difference in bourbon is minimal. The difference in Scotch Whisky is vast.

I could be wrong, there are bourbon fans, but I don't think they're as rabid as Scotch fans. Me? I'm frothing at the mouth, and should be put down immediately.

Archived