Helpme chose a tough outdoot gigging guitar

Chordchunker

• Members

I need a rough/tough guitar for playing hot, sweaty outdoor gigs. I sort of have it narrowed down to a Martin 000-cxe but I`m open to other thoughts/choices. What would you get for under a grand that will hold up? Prefer a 000 or smaller bodied git as it will mostly be plugged into a P.A.

• Members

Full-HPL Martin. Electrically they are all the same. Rough, tough, good sounding (electrically, that is) and relatively cheap.

HPL is pretty much the toughest stuff this side of Carbon Fiber, but CF is too dear, I guess.

• Members

Full-HPL Martin. Electrically they are all the same. Rough, tough, good sounding (electrically, that is) and relatively cheap.

HPL is pretty much the toughest stuff this side of Carbon Fiber, but CF is too dear, I guess.

That`s what I`m thinking. Just wondering if there is something out there I haven`t seen/not aware of.

• Members

This. ^^^

I can speak from experience as to the toughness of the Martin "X" series gits. That HPL, micarta and stratabond is all tough stuff. The spruce top of my D12X1 has its share of dings, but the rest of the git is pretty bulletproof. I've played it in all sorts of weather and humidity levels and it's a pretty consistent-sounding git. Only on the most humid of Louisiana days did it sound like it was stuffed full of socks.

Also, I sympathize with your keyboard issue - several keys on mine are nearly dead - gotta pound 'em pretty hard to get 'em to work. Grrrr.

Gotta decide if I want to invest in a new KB or simply replace this high-mileage box.

• Members

that will hold up? Prefer a 000 or smaller bodied git as it will mostly be plugged into a P.A.

Under a grand?? Hell, CC, if you're gonna plug it in all the time you could buy about 6 all laminated Yamahas for that price. Don't spend a grand....spend about $200........get one of those F-335s from MF and a cheap case........slap a pickup on it.....you're good to go! Maybe you shoulda kept that Ibanez?

• Members

Under a grand?? Hell, CC, if you're gonna plug it in all the time you could buy about 6 all laminated Yamahas for that price. Don't spend a grand....spend about $200........get one of those F-335s from MF and a cheap case........slap a pickup on it.....you're good to go! Maybe you shoulda kept that Ibanez?

Maybe I should have, but a good friend/bandmate needed a guitar for cheap and really liked that one so I helped him out. I haven`t seen a dime from him yet, but I don`t really care as I know he is good for it.

Hmmm a Yammie..That`s not a bad idea! I don`t really have any experience with Yamaha. What models are good all around guitars? I need something that will fingerpick blues,rags/chunk swing chords AND is comfy for flatpicking fiddle tunes/swing licks.

• Members

Get an all-HPL Martin. Not, that the Yammies are bad, but you can't beat HPL for the rough and tumble. Well, you can with CF, but CF comes with a hefty price tag. And you will have to retrofit a pup and a pre into the lammie Yammie. And the HPL Martins aren't too expensive either.

• Members

Hie thee forth to yon local Guitar Center. Check 'em out.

Ain`t got no.. I`ll be ordering by mail and I`ve played the Martin. The closest GC is an hour and a half drive, but I may just drive over next week to check out the yammies.

GC guitars are usually dirty with whatever the guy before me had on his hands (yuck) plus they almost always need a string change so imo they really aren`t the best place to compare guitar models. HOWEVER there is a decent mom and pop in the same town as the GC so it might be worth the drive..

• Members

Before reading any of the posts above I too was going to say Martin's X series. I have 2 of them. They are tough. It's the HPL baby. It is nice to hear that there are plenty of others who believe the same about the X series. It is proven tough, yet a very legitimate guitar in all areas. I'm basing all this by first hand experience. It was only after my experiences with the X series that I had read about others who have experienced the same about the X series toughness and legitimacy as a real guitar and that just pretty much legitimized the guitar even more for me. Proven fact I guess.

• Members

Maybe I should have, but a good friend/bandmate needed a guitar for cheap and really liked that one so I helped him out. I haven`t seen a dime from him yet, but I don`t really care as I know he is good for it.

Hmmm a Yammie..That`s not a bad idea! I don`t really have any experience with Yamaha.
What models are good all around guitars? I need something that will fingerpick blues,rags/chunk swing chords AND is comfy for flatpicking fiddle tunes/swing licks.

What is your budget? Do you care about nut width? Recording King make cool and affordable little guitars. Some of them have solid tops and laminated back & sides which would probably suit your needs in terms of durability.

[video=youtube;tNUf563kYZU]

• Members

I sort of have it narrowed down to a Martin 000-cxe but I`m open to other thoughts/choices. . . . What would you get for under a grand that will hold up? . . .

Nut width on the 000CXE is 1 11/16", which is pretty standard. A Recording King would fit the bill, as would a laminated Yamaha or HPL Martin, as recommended by various forumites. The used Ovation A/E I recommended would do as well.

• Members

If it would have to be my choice, my first choice would be a all-HPL Martin due to it's sheer robustness, followed by the Ovation - almost as rugged but significantly cheaper, followed by a solid-top HPL Martin and then those lammies, regardless of the maker.

• Members

I love the stripped down look of those. Sure would like to try one out.

Yeah - look out for one. I found mine in a used guitar shop - although it looked brand new. I played it for 15 mins and fell in love.

I never would have thought that I would like a steel string guitar with a 48mm neck and vintage "V" profile neck LOL. C'est-la vie! :)

Archived