Four Dead In Ohio - Kent State - May 4th 1970

g6120

• Members

In remembrance of the four students who died on May 4th, 1970 at Kent State University. Shot down by the National Guard. A very dark day in American history and a tragedy that did not have to happen and let's hope will never happen again. 9 more students were wounded that day.

I was just a 10 year old kid at the time but I remember the shock and horror of this. Thank you to my friend Phil (k8dux) for singing harmony with me on this.

[YOUTUBE]SwZNLdi-L8w[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With all due respect g6120, I remember the Kent State and Viet Nam era very well, probably much better than you. Not as a 10 year old kid but as a college student and later as a scared {censored}less teenager with an M16. Nixon and LBJ before him did what all presidents do (even George W.). They acted in what they thought was the best interest of the country. Very sad what happened at Kent State but those kids weren't martyrs or heroes. Wrong place, wrong time for them. How about a tune for the 50,000 Servicemen who died in S.E. Asia? Or better yet, why don't we as a society put all that crap behind us.

• Members

With all due respect g6120, I remember the Kent State and Viet Nam era very well, probably much better than you. Not as a 10 year old kid but as a college student and later as a scared {censored}less teenager with an M16. Nixon and LBJ before him did what all presidents do (even George W.). They acted in what they thought was the best interest of the country. Very sad what happened at Kent State but those kids weren't martyrs or heroes. Wrong place, wrong time for them. How about a tune for the 50,000 Servicemen who died in S.E. Asia? Or better yet, why don't we as a society put all that crap behind us.

Well said, I agree we did a crappy job honoring the Vietnam vets during that time. They were getting shot in the jungle while the students were protesting and throwing rocks at the National Guard. 40 years gives me a better perspective on things. Let's move on.

• Members

Why the cynicism from some of you? ... No need for cynicism here.

Almost every song you post here has a political or moral undertone... and a PollyAnna attitude. It gets old.

Music is about so much more than simply pressing and starching one's moral fiber. :facepalm:

• Members

Nixon was a good president. Much better than Obama.

You are real idiot. Not because of your political leanings...but simply because you think it's valid to compare a president who was in office over 6 years to one that's just been in office one year.

• Members

You are real idiot. Not because of your political leanings...but simply because you think it's valid to compare a president who was in office over 6 years to one that's just been in office one year.

You are real idiot. Not because of your political leanings...but simply because you think it's NOT valid to compare a president who was in office 6 years to one that's been in office one year.

Or maybe it is because of your political leanings. :D

• Members

:facepalm:

OK, here's how this is relevant to me. All you idiots are allowed to express your opinions without fear of reprisal. THAT'S why this is relevant.

BTW, I don't find this romantic in the least bit. Hell, I don't even LIKE Neil Young's music and admit that I haven't clicked on one of his links in ages but I respect Gil's passion about it. I have convictions of my own but choose not to share them in the interest of civility.

• Members

Unfortunately, it is the exception, and not the rule around here.
:evil:

Actually, I have to disagree. There have been 107 views as of now, and only 12 posts, some of those 12 offering no political bias.

I call that restraint.

• Members

In 1970 there was a DRAFT, kids were forced to go to Viet Nam or go to jail, or go to Canada. Rich kids avoided, lower income kids went. Unfortunate. The war was wrong cause it forced kids to fight who may not have wanted to. Tough choice going to jail or fleeing the country.

I have not researched this but from some things I've read, America doesn't really treat its wounded veterans very well. If a kid is being forced to go to a foreign country and fight in a war the least the USA can do is give him the highest medical care if he is wounded and for everyone drafted the option of an all expense paid 4 year college tuition.

Whatever side you are on with sending troops to Iraq and Afganistan, at least it is a VOLUNTEER army. No one is being forced to sign up.

• Members

In 1970 there was a DRAFT, kids were forced to go to Viet Nam or go to jail, or go to Canada. Rich kids avoided, lower income kids went. Unfortunate. The war was wrong cause it forced kids to fight who may not have wanted to. Tough choice going to jail or fleeing the country.

I have not researched this but from some things I've read, America doesn't really treat its wounded veterans very well. If a kid is being forced to go to a foreign country and fight in a war the least the USA can do is give him the highest medical care if he is wounded and for everyone drafted the option of an all expense paid 4 year college tuition.

Whatever side you are on with sending troops to Iraq and Afganistan, at least it is a VOLUNTEER army. No one is being forced to sign up.

As a veteran, and regular customer at my VA hospital, I have to say that you are remarkably uninformed about how wounded vets are treated. Anything service related is paid for, period.

About college money for vets. The college money is one of the big draws to join for a lot of kids who otherwise could not afford school. Has been since after WWII.

And yeah, I volunteered. I went to Afghanistan and Iraq. I already had my BA.

• Members

anim_rofl2.gif

Might be a good time to rinse the sand out of your mangina.

anim_rofl2.gifanim_rofl2.gifanim_rofl2.gifanim_rofl2.gif

• Members

Hey Flamer, You're free to ignore my posts you know. Fact is not every song I post has a poltical or moral undertone. I have posted many meaningless pop songs as well.

But truth is I do like songs that mean something to me and if I post a song with a political or moral undertone then what's the harm? Just ignore it. Why try and censor that sort of expression through music? There's room for all of it here.

Hey g0216, you're free to ignore my posts you know. You posted the stuff here. You expected comments. You got comments. It's not my problem if you have trouble with my comments. You don't want flames, don't post the stuff.

BTW, you think this is flaming? You haven't seen flaming. You must lead a sheltered life.

• Members

Hey g0216, you're free to ignore my posts you know. You posted the stuff here. You expected comments. You got comments. It's not my problem if you have trouble with my comments. You don't want flames, don't post the stuff.

BTW, you think this is flaming? You haven't seen flaming. You must lead a sheltered life.

I hear Fret was one of the people shooting. :thu:

• Members

Excellent point Kwak! Besides the fact that it was relevant to post this for the 40th anniversary the important point you make is that we are in fact allowed to express our opinions here without fear of reprisal!

The four students who were murdered and the 9 students wounded were shot down for expressing their opinions and protesting a war they felt was wrong (history has agreed with them).

One of the girl students killed was walking to another class and some bystanders were among the wounded.

This is in no way shape or form meant to be romantic whatsoever. It is meant to portray and remember a very grim day in American history. People can try and politicize it and others will try and disrespect it and say it doesn't matter but it does matter to some people.

Any response other than what is relevant to the original post, which attempts to give context and meaning to why the students were protesting that day, is just meaningless drivel.

Funny how some people are so disrespectful that they can completely shrug this off and read all kinds of other twisted distorted meanings into it.

It's a dark day in American History and hopefully will never happen again. End of story. To blather on about anything else is meaningless.

Let see, this was the National Guard.... (right)/No?

Gee at that time it was fellow students (remember they joined the guard not to go to war) and the like, being forced to do crowd control. Because the crowds got unruly. I remember seeing footage of students throwing things at these guardsman and spitting on then along with other atrocities.

Gee how smart is that when they are standing there with loaded weapons?

Maybe it was a good thing it was the guards and not regular Army as a lot more would have been shot.

Say what you like, I did my time in Hell and payed the price. Ex-82nd Airborne and 100% Disabled American Veteran (DAV)-Life Member.

As far as the Neil Young thing goes, if ever there was an award for being a Neil Young imitator (like Elvis imitators) I would have to vote for Gill to win that award.

• Members

Let see, this was the National Guard.... (right)/No?

Gee at that time it was fellow students (remember they joined the guard not to go to war) and the like, being forced to do crowd control. Because the crowds got unruly. I remember seeing footage of students throwing things at these guardsman and spitting on then along with other atrocities.

Gee how smart is that when they are standing there with loaded weapons?

Maybe it was a good thing it was the guards and not regular Army as a lot more would have been shot.

Say what you like, I did my time in Hell and payed the price. Ex-82nd Airborne and 100% Disabled American Veteran (DAV)-Life Member.

As far as the Neil Young thing goes, if ever there was an award for being a Neil Young imitator (like Elvis imitators) I would have to vote for Gill to win that award.

Yeah, it was the Ohio National Guard. They got cornered, and people started throwing big rocks.

Really unfortunate all around.

Oh, and lots of Guard guys went to Vietnam. Not nearly as many as went to WWII or to Iraq and Afghanistan, but they did go.

• Members

As a veteran, and regular customer at my VA hospital, I have to say that you are remarkably uninformed about how wounded vets are treated. Anything service related is paid for, period.

About college money for vets. The college money is one of the big draws to join for a lot of kids who otherwise could not afford school. Has been since after WWII.

And yeah, I volunteered. I went to Afghanistan and Iraq. I already had my BA.

Maybe I have been misinformed about the VA. I just hear stories form some vets that they weren't happy with the care they got.

I do know many people came back from Viet Nam healthy and in great mental shape, but all human beings are not mentally built the same and some did not come back all that well and were forced to go.

And you volunteered which is great. I don't have any problem with that, you had a choice.

I didn't weigh in on Kent State, but I will now, while the magnitude is not the same, what's really the difference when China shoots it's citizens when they protest and what happened in 1970 at Kent State. America, as great as I believe it is as a country, sometimes really F's up.

It's not right for the Government to kill 4 kids at Kent State and it's wasn't right to have a draft either. When the Government begins to kill it's citizens when they protest against their policies. That is wrong.

I don't believe we should just agree to everything our Government does Go to war in IRAQ? Just accept it or you are not patriotic.

Germany told it's citizens Jews are bad let's round 'em up.

USA in WWII said Japanese-Amercians may not truly be American, let's round'em up and put them in a camp.

Citizens should not obey laws that are morally wrong.

Archived