Four Dead In Ohio - Kent State - May 4th 1970

g6120

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With all due respect g6120, I remember the Kent State and Viet Nam era very well, probably much better than you. Not as a 10 year old kid but as a college student and later as a scared {censored}less teenager with an M16. Nixon and LBJ before him did what all presidents do (even George W.). They acted in what they thought was the best interest of the country. Very sad what happened at Kent State but those kids weren't martyrs or heroes. Wrong place, wrong time for them. How about a tune for the 50,000 Servicemen who died in S.E. Asia? Or better yet, why don't we as a society put all that crap behind us.

Hear, hear.......well said. :thu:

• Members

Wow, lots of hate going around....I remember cause I was 20 then. I'm old enough to know that arguing religion and politics has very little merit. People believe in what they WANT to believe in....period.

My dad was a WWll vet. We argued a lot about VietNam...hell, he thought I should have gone...I was in college at the time, got a deferment. The lottery gave me a 357 number, and for those who don't know, it meant I would literally be the last to get drafted if need be....my brother and cousins weren't so lucky, two of them got to come home in a pine box. I remember Steve Goodman singing "Penny Evans" shortly after this tragedy hit my family. It struck pretty true to my heart and feelings...4 dead in Ohio did the same...when Americans KILL Americans over FREE speech, we all die a little.

Now its many years later. I still hate and detest war. I don't believe it is necessary, I don't believe its for anyone other than the super rich who benefit from it.

I live in a state that just banned the use of silly string at the upcoming National Convention for the Republican Convention....yet the Governor didn't ban concealed weapons in the same area?. He considers it a violation of our Constitutional rights.....

I guess nothing is learned from the past...which is why we still fight with each other over proving who is patriotic and who isnt.

Unfortuantely, this thread has just become just another one of these....I love this place for its music. And a song like OHIO is just that....music. Music about an injustice....Can any of you remember Mayor Daly and his gang in Chicago...that was a political convention too. Lots of heads banged to show who was boss and who has the rights....obviously not students or any other protestors who were exercising their Constitutional rights.

Funny how KKK, Nazi's and others can gather for assembly, but students and protestors against corrupt politicians can't....I'm not talking about China here....but the good ol US of A.

One last comment before I end my once a year political comment.....Obama VS Bush...they are both products of the system...one decidedly more intelligent than the other, one decidedly more corrupt than the other....I'll let you be the judge of who is who here. And where are we? We still have huge unemployment, spend Billions of taxpayer monies in Afghanistan, and layoff teachers and policeman. It appears most things just don't change.

We horde guns to protect ourselves. We put up walls to keep the unwanted out, We shut up people who wish to exercise opinions other than what our politicians want us to say. And all we have to do is wave our flag to justify the "stand your ground" rule to take another persons life. This country is in bad shape. The worse I have seen it in my 60+ years of being around. The sad thing is I don't see it going anywhere but bad.

G6120, keep up the music....sounds great....political or not, it expresses freedom....something we are losing a little of every day.

• Members

This thread shoulda stayed DEAD!

You can have my Hummingbird and my masonite Martin when you pry them out of my cold, dead fingers!

And I may not agree with your right to arm bears, but I will defend to the death your right to yell "theater!" in a crowded fire!

• Members

You can have my Hummingbird and my masonite Martin when you pry them out of my cold, dead fingers!

And I may not agree with your right to arm bears, but I will defend to the death your right to yell "theater!" in a crowded fire!

All I ask is you give Peas a chance.

• Members

^^This is why he is one of my favorite characters in this Circus.

Also, why give freedom to bleach? What if it exercises that freedom and marries a nice ammonia? What then Demopublicans??? WHERE IS YOUR FANCY BILL OF RIGHTS NOW? I'll tell you, mustard gas land. Population? 1 because I only take off my gas mask to do 3 things Drink, Eat, and Sing (sex is more fun in the mask (for the lady)). With everyone dead I won't be doing any of those 3 things. I cant cook so I've horded nutritional IV fluid, I can't stand drinking alone, and I only sing to get laid.

... freedom of bleach.

Don't even get me started on the red-pigeons.

:mad:

• Members

Wow, lots of hate going around....I remember cause I was 20 then. I'm old enough to know that arguing religion and politics has very little merit. People believe in what they WANT to believe in....period.

My dad was a WWll vet. We argued a lot about VietNam...hell, he thought I should have gone...I was in college at the time, got a deferment. The lottery gave me a 357 number, and for those who don't know, it meant I would literally be the last to get drafted if need be....my brother and cousins weren't so lucky, two of them got to come home in a pine box. I remember Steve Goodman singing "Penny Evans" shortly after this tragedy hit my family. It struck pretty true to my heart and feelings...4 dead in Ohio did the same...when Americans KILL Americans over FREE speech, we all die a little.

Now its many years later. I still hate and detest war. I don't believe it is necessary, I don't believe its for anyone other than the super rich who benefit from it.

I live in a state that just banned the use of silly string at the upcoming National Convention for the Republican Convention....yet the Governor didn't ban concealed weapons in the same area?. He considers it a violation of our Constitutional rights.....

I guess nothing is learned from the past...which is why we still fight with each other over proving who is patriotic and who isnt.

Unfortuantely, this thread has just become just another one of these....I love this place for its music. And a song like OHIO is just that....music. Music about an injustice....Can any of you remember Mayor Daly and his gang in Chicago...that was a political convention too. Lots of heads banged to show who was boss and who has the rights....obviously not students or any other protestors who were exercising their Constitutional rights.

Funny how KKK, Nazi's and others can gather for assembly, but students and protestors against corrupt politicians can't....I'm not talking about China here....but the good ol US of A.

One last comment before I end my once a year political comment.....Obama VS Bush...they are both products of the system...one decidedly more intelligent than the other, one decidedly more corrupt than the other....I'll let you be the judge of who is who here. And where are we? We still have huge unemployment, spend Billions of taxpayer monies in Afghanistan, and layoff teachers and policeman. It appears most things just don't change.

We horde guns to protect ourselves. We put up walls to keep the unwanted out, We shut up people who wish to exercise opinions other than what our politicians want us to say. And all we have to do is wave our flag to justify the "stand your ground" rule to take another persons life. This country is in bad shape. The worse I have seen it in my 60+ years of being around. The sad thing is I don't see it going anywhere but bad.

G6120, keep up the music....sounds great....political or not, it expresses freedom....something we are losing a little of every day.

:cool:

• Members

One of my brothers-in-law just died about a year ago. He had enlisted in the Ohio National Guard back in '65 and was discharged in '71. He mentioned several times that he was glad he was on inactive reserve status at the time of the fiasco at Kent State.

I can't imagine any of those guardsmen were proud of what happened that day. But, when you're a soldier, you do what you're ordered to do and ask why later. That's just how it is. Anybody who's ever been in the military knows and understands this.

I did my military time in the regular Army. I also enlisted in '65. I can't say I enjoyed everything I was ordered to do, but I did it, and I'm proud of the fact that I did and I'd go toe to toe with any man who tells me I was wrong for doing it!

EDIT: I'd just like to add that some of you people on here, with your dumbass uninformed comments, make me sick. You wouldn't have the balls to make them to my face......not twice, anyway. I don't think you'd want to come back for "seconds".

You all seem to enjoy the freedom you have in this great country you live in. Let me tell ya someting, though.....when this country is no longer the home of the brave, it'll also no longer be the land of the free!

You should be glad that there are still some American Patriots who are willingly laying their lives on the line to keep it that way!

Archived