In my province: lots of percussionnists!

Misha

• Members

The roads in Ontario aren't so good these days, either.

You are very right! I live in the Nation's Capital and just mention "Carling Ave." to anyone and they instantly know what you are talking about....:lol::lol:

Even Glenn F knows what I am talking about! :thu:

• Members

Now that the "casserole symphony" has become an established part of the culture, it's time to begin discussion of serious issues, such as:

1 - what provides the best tone - wooden, plastic, or metal spoons?

2 - aluminum, stainless steel, or cast-iron bodies?

3 - do the casseroles have bridge pins?

• Members

You are very right! I live in the Nation's Capital and just mention "Carling Ave." to anyone and they instantly know what you are talking about....
:lol:

Even
Glenn F
knows what I am talking about!
:thu:

Ah, yes. I remember Carling well. Used to live off of it, near the Coliseum. Not my favourite street. Strip mall after strip mall. :facepalm:

• Members

It's not just about the student fees, anymore. It seems that every group that has something against the government is joining the movement.

In Quebec, the Mafia finance the political parties. In exchange, they obtain public contracts (to build roads, bridges, etc.) Journalists write that we pay 30% to 40% more than we should for our infrastructures. Individuals pay so many taxes, it's crazy! On the other side, big companies who make millions of profit often don't pay any taxes or pay a very low percentage.

The middle class is imposed at 33% to 48% of it's salary. We also pay 14.9% for taxes on goods and services. Students fees are not high compared to other places in the world but our taxes are much more higher and the money that the government takes from us is not used for what it should be. An important part is detourned to pay "
friends
" of the members of the government.

It took two years before the prime decided to create a public inquiry in the field of construction, I guess that paper-shredders have been very busy in the public offices meanwhile. (Link:
)

In quebec, the Prime sets the date of the elections himself... That doesn't help!

You have to look a little deeper, Misha. The unions were the instigators in this. Why? Well, they own the PQ, for starters. But what they REALLY want is to see the Charbonneau Commission disappear. Why? The government may have dirty hands, but the unions are elbow deep in the mafia.

• Members

You have to look a little deeper, Misha. The unions were the instigators in this. Why? Well, they own the PQ, for starters. But what they REALLY want is to see the Charbonneau Commission disappear. Why? The government may have dirty hands, but the unions are elbow deep in the mafia.

Well, I agree about some people in some unions being corrupted too, unfortunately.

It is also a fact that unions help students in this conflict but I don't know if they started it (???) Once the movement is there, they may have interest, indeed, to see it growing and lasting.

I know some workers who have been asked if they would "let" their jobs to other union members in the past...

I personally don't trust either the PQ or the PLQ ... I don't want AQ and I'm suspicious about the CAQ... I guess I don't trust any of them! I don't always trust my own union. Sometimes they do weird things.

About the picture, it's funny as a caricature, it's also funny as being against stupid cops... but some cops are good persons and I admit that if I was one of them and someone would do that to me, I would get really mad. I don't know if I could contain myself...

About the student fees, I still think that the government should choose education over other options. (Ex. Le Suro

• Members

Misha, ironically I was holding your medical system up as an example during a little "debate" today about the problems with ours. And don't forget that our student loan system is up for big changes if our do-nothing congress continues to, well, do nothing.

Is it better elsewhere? Not sure where.....

• Members

Unfortunately, there is corruption everywhere. I would extol the virtues of Germany, but it has its own problems. Unless you want to go live in a cabin somewhere, off the grid, and have the resources to do so, you are stuck with civilization and its discontents.

I fear the situation in Quebec is likely playing into the hands of the separatists, and if the PQ wins the next election there'll be another "((

• Members
You are very right! I live in the Nation's Capital and just mention "Carling Ave." to anyone and they instantly know what you are talking about....

Even
Glenn F
knows what I am talking about!
:thu:

Oh wow - you're actually from my home town. I wish I had known! We were there from Oct 2010 - Jan 2011 and I played a bunch of open mics in the west end west end and out in Almonte at the Barley Mow. I really miss it. :)

• Members

Oh wow - you're actually from my home town. I wish I had known! We were there from Oct 2010 - Jan 2011 and I played a bunch of open mics in the west end west end and out in Almonte at the Barley Mow. I really miss it.
:)

That's funny since I hosted an open mic every Saturday afternoon at a local pub in Hintonburg around the time you were here....:freak:

To me that is the "west end"...:lol:

Archived