Bye Bye Snark SN-1

acousticdepot

• Members

My search for the perfect clip on tuner continues ...

A while ago I switched to the Snark SN-1 tuner because of how quick it was. I also liked the multicolor read out. But I have become increasingly annoyed at trying to get a good reading. Readings will go initially sharp when the string is first struck, and fall flat as the note fades, so essentially you have to do the averaging yourself. And inevitably you have to tweak the tuning in by ear.

I ordered two new clip on tuners.

- GoGo Tuners TT-1 ($25)

- Snark SN-8 ($11)

I haven't received the Snark SN-8, but did receive the TT-1 a few days ago and I like it a lot. The TT-1 is just as quick as the snark and does not bounce around when the string is struck. They probably do the averaging internally. I don't think the tuner itself is anymore accurate than the Snark SN-1, they are probably both accurate to about +/- 3 cents, but I think I tune up quicker and closer with the TT-1, because it is not subject to my own human error.

I considered the Peterson SC-1 StroboClip because it is suppose to be accurate to +/- 1 cent. But 70 bucks is way to pricey for something I will eventually break or lose. It also doesn't look like the easiest tuner to use.

More to come when I receive the Snark SN-8.

• Members

The "Tomtop" clip-ons I got off of Ebay (around $5 per) have, so far (2 months), all 3 held up great...no idea how long they'll last, but for $5 per, I'll likely just replace them with the same when they eventually give up the (electronic) ghost.

$(KGrHqR,!ooE9kcqW+RiBPjFCgE9kg~~60_1.JP

Extremely accurate...likely a knock-off of a higher-dollar unit.

• Members

The "Tomtop" clip-ons I got off of Ebay (around $5 per) have, so far (2 months), all 3 held up great...no idea how long they'll last, but for $5 per, I'll likely just replace them with the same when they eventually give up the (electronic) ghost.

Terry, does the needle bounce around like the Snark SN-1?

• Members

I'm still using my old Tune Tech TT-500 that I've had for about 5 years. I get about a year per battery with it, but that's probably due to the fact that I use it only about once a week.

It DOES have a problem sometimes recognizing the low E, but it's a problem I can easily deal with. I've seen quite a few Snarks that end up being a "two-piece" tuner......when they fall apart!

• Members

... Readings will go initially sharp when the string is first struck, and fall flat as the note fades...

I've noticed that too. My impression is that the pitch of the string will vary slightly, depending on how hard it is vibrating. How hard it is initially struck, and where it was struck (over the sound hole, as opposed to up around the 12th fret, for example) makes a difference. You can verify this with a strobe tuner.

The change in pitch isn't much, but it's enough for the Snark to pick it up. The tone resolution of the Snark is definitely higher than most other cheapo tuners.

Yeah, regardless, you have to sweeten the tune a bit to compensate for minor intonation errors. I don't think there is an acoustic guitar out there that has perfect intonation.

• Members

I've noticed that too. My impression is that the pitch of the string will vary slightly, depending on how hard it is vibrating. How hard it is initially struck, and where it was struck (over the sound hole, as opposed to up around the 12th fret, for example) makes a difference. . . .

I got the same thing with my Wittner GT-2, I suspect for the same reasons. It seems to make a difference if you play a harmonic (i.e., 5th or 12th fret) That's what I use to confirm the tuning on the bass at church or to tune my own bass.

• Members

$(KGrHqR,!ooE9kcqW+RiBPjFCgE9kg~~60_1.JP

Thanks to your recommendation, I got 3 of them. Really great little units - very accurate - and at an unbelievably low price. I find that they pick up the vibrations from the headstock better than some more expensive tuners. The one drawback (and it hasn't proven to be a problem yet) is that the tuner only recognizes E A D G B E and doesn't recognize other notes. But its benefits outweigh this one drawback. Thanks Terry! :wave:

• Members

Thanks to your recommendation, I got 3 of them. Really great little units - very accurate - and at an unbelievably low price. I find that they pick up the vibrations from the headstock better than some more expensive tuners. The one drawback (and it hasn't proven to be a problem yet) is that the tuner only recognizes E A D G B E and doesn't recognize other notes. But its benefits outweigh this one drawback. Thanks Terry!
:wave:

Push the on-off button to change modes and set it on "C" (chromatic)...in this mode, it'll tune any note.

• Members

I've tried a BUNCH of clip on tuners.

I used one of the Intellitouch deals on a friend's guitar once. That was enough to ensure I'll never buy one.

My favorite for tuning is the Korg AW2G. It does a great job tuning. Good display. Works very well. Downside? It's not put together well. The tuner is made to slide on and off the clip. Translation? It falls off the clip constantly.

I thought the Snark was a piece of garbage. I don't know which model I had. A black one I bought from GC when they first came out. Mine didn't tune my B string properly. Cool design, cool display. The battery compartment fell apart as well.

Based on my love of the AW2G, I bought the newer Korg PC-1. I hate that thing. Not accurate. Bounces around. Goofy to position to see.

The Planet Waves Headstock tuner is good. I really liked it. I like the color change of the display when it's in tune.

My current overall favorite??? The new Planet Waves PW-CT-12 Mini Headstock Tuner. It's tiny, and seems to work just as well as the full sized version. You clip it on the back of headstock right by the low E string tuning peg. The audience doesn't see it, and you can leave it on your guitar all the time - even in the case. Oh, and it's like $13 delivered from Amazon!! I just ordered two more yesterday. Should get them tomorrow. They will stay on my guitars all the time.

• Members

My current overall favorite??? The new Planet Waves PW-CT-12 Mini Headstock Tuner. It's tiny, and seems to work just as well as the full sized version. You clip it on the back of headstock right by the low E string tuning peg. The audience doesn't see it, and you can leave it on your guitar all the time - even in the case. Oh, and it's like $13 delivered from Amazon!! I just ordered two more yesterday. Should get them tomorrow. They will stay on my guitars all the time.

Thanks for the tip ... I will try that one out as well. The Gogo TT-1 can also be mounted behind the head stock, but the damn thing is orange so the clip is pretty visible to the audience.

• Members

I have the blue snark, on it's second battery, they are made by the folk who gave us the quicktune and cool cat pedals. I like it, you do have to tweak it a bit, but I still get a great tuning better than with the microphone tuners.

Archived