Bye Bye Snark SN-1

acousticdepot

• Members

Just wondering how many of you all that are worried about being that percisely in tune are actually recording. Dont think it really matters if your playing for yourself or for friends, or live.

I hate being out of tune regardless of where I am or who I am playing for. Playing with my guitar just slightly out of tune is like finger nails on a black board.

• Members

:cop:Personally, being in tune is the most important thing about playing guitar, If you are out of tune, forget everything else. My Snark gets me there, a lot tighter tuning, now that makes my ears happy, in my bedroom or playing with friends, Be in Tune!!

and Have Fun.

• Members

Just wondering how many of you all that are worried about being that percisely in tune are actually recording. Dont think it really matters if your playing for yourself or for friends, or live.

Matters to me! After a few years of singing in the church choir my pitch has gotten much better than it used to be.

• Members

I hate being out of tune regardless of where I am or who I am playing for. Playing with my guitar just slightly out of tune is like finger nails on a black board.

2nd this... :thu: It's particularily bad at outside gigs in the summer, where the heat/humidity changes your tuning mid-song...since I started having a clip-on tuner right on my instruments (couple of months), it's been great, and I'll never again gig w/o one! :)

• Members

Playing a 12-string and a 5-string banjo, having an electronic tuner is helpful. In humid weather I might retune several times during a performance. I don't leave the tuner clipped to the instrument though, it and my capos sit on a little table near me for when I need them. For some reason I don't like having stuff hanging off the instrument while I play; I understand why people do it, and don't fault it, but just can't do it.

• Members

Went to an open mic last night with the GoGo Tuners TT-1 and it was aweful. The host was playing music through his PA (and monitor pointed at me) and the TT-1 was all over the place (no I didn't have it on mic mode). The sound was coming into the sound hole of the guitar and throwing it off. I put on a Snark SN-1 that I still had in my case ... and no problems.

My search continues ... I am going to order the TomTop ET-33, and the Planet Waves PW-CT-12 at the recommendations of TAH and Howie22. I am inching closer and closer to laying out the $70 for the stroboclip.

• Members

Yeah ... but 70 bucks? I am sure I would break it or lose it within the first couple of months.

Not when it costs 70 bucks! :)

I take very good care of mine and keep it in the original box when not in use. It's easy to get used to: Just pluck the string as hard as you normally do and wait until the reading has stabilized. It's like getting used to headstock tuners with different gear ratio.

• Members

Tried one of those Stroboclips and could not get use to it. I have a Korg Pitchblack for in-line and the Snarks for the headstock, all depending on the situation. I have a few of the other headstock tuners and like those as well. I think they all do a good job.

Yeah, it's IMPORTANT to be in tune. Even when I'm practicing.

• Members

Okay, took delivery of the Snark SN-8 and used it at an open mic. I would say it has the same accuracy as the SN-1 (even though they market it as "super tight"). However the display is much easier to read, the individual bars in the display are much bigger, and it doesn't seem to bounce around as much as the SN-1.

For now ... the SN-8 will be the tuner I use. But still not 100% satisfied.

Archived