Stupid painters stole about 100 red spruce tops I had in storage............

guitarcapo

• Members

You are lucky your painters were ethical ecologists and not unethical misappropriationists. Its good to know people still care. I wish I had a neighbor who would shovel my driveway for fear I might discard perfectly good snowflakes.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, if the forum has anything to say about this, you'll still call the police, hire hitmen, and kidnap their children. At the very least leave a bad "Angie's List" review.

Glad you got it all back in one piece. Looks like you knew what you were doing after all.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp

View Post

Okay...

So in the end the "worker" had asked for permission to take the wood, and the ebony has been there all along. It's sounding more and more like these guys had to move your crap in order to do their job.

Way to create a drama, Queeny! thumb.gif

You aren't understanding. They took everything off the site. Spruce AND the ebony. The ebony was in a cupboard. It was brought down by one worker who put it in the garage next to the spruce. The worker who loaded it into his truck states he asked the foreman to take the wood because the foreman said it was trash. The foreman states he said nothing like that and gave no permission. I don't know who to believe. My guess is that it was a case of the foreman calling the wood trash and the worker taking the term literally meaning it was going to be thrown away.

AND.... Yes they had to move crap to do the job. They were painting a partially furnished house. It was agreed that they would have to move furniture and objects to paint walls. But not take stuff and leave with it. Got it?

• Members

Here's some camera phone pics of the "barbeque wood" in question that my wife took with the cell phone when he dropped off the wood.

Red spruce is getting hard to come by because of acid rain and restrictions on logging in the Appalachian mountains. I scored enough to take care of my hobby for life along with about 60 Brazilian rosewood sets and some other wood. Actually to find boards with close uniform grain without runout, pin knots, pitch pockets, that's quartersawn, perfectly white, in large size, bookmatched etc is very difficult.

Anyway I figured I'd upload pics of what they thought was "trash":

moremore_zps6244c42b.jpg

boards_zps71cca7ec.jpg

more_zps06ae2e44.jpg

fretboards_zps5da41a51.jpg

It's all cut thin so you can imagine how I was worried that it would all be beat to hell thrown in the back of a truck boucing around and treated like fire wood.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco

View Post

Guitarcapo, I admire your patience and forgiveness. So many people told you to call the cops etc, but your response was very kind - even though this was a theft in the first place. No one loses their jobs, no one goes to jail, no excess ugliness.

I don't understand this - you admit it was theft yet call his actions kind. Kind to who? The next lady that gets robbed? What is more likely:

A: "Boy, that was close fella's, let's all agree to never try THAT again...."

B: "Told you he'd buy that bull{censored} story. Oh well, keep your eyes open...."

I may or may not have called the cops / really depends on the details. However, the OP was seemingly making excuses and defending these guys. I would have been all over that Foreman - and I would have told him I'm not buying his bull{censored} story.

• Members

Guitarcapo got his wood back - undamaged, in a reasonable time frame and without any undue fuss. I'd say that's a win. Lesson learned on both sides and move on I would say. In the end police was not necessary.

Well done Guitarcapo with your reult and hope many fine guitars are built with the fine looking woods.

• Members

I have to say that my brother was very against calling the cops. My mother was kind of in the same boat as some people here to call the cops immediately.

Actually what annoys me more is that I believed the foreman was going to do this work himself...or at least be on the premises while the work was done with help.

It looks like he just hired some illegals and pocketed a "finders fee" while doing none of the work himself. Now I'm not saying illegals are prone to crime more...but his not being there contributed to the misunderstanding. The one fellow left with the wood and he wasn't around to stop it. He did take total responsibility retrieving the wood and is taking responsibility for the paint job.

I truly believe the fellow thought the stuff was going to be thrown away and meant to save it more than steal. It wasn't like they ever attempted to cover up what they did. They were really apologetic. Frankly the wood has a large value to me but not to the general population. There are a lot more profitable things to go to jail for. Maybe I gave you guys the wrong impression of these people in my nervousness to retrieve the wood.

I was never under the impression the cops would make a big deal about this at any rate...but if any of those guys were illegal, I wouldn't have wanted to be the reason they were deported. I know some people hold a different political view on that issue but they did a great job painting the house and I'm not a protectionist when it comes to hard work.

• Members

Id file a police report and a value estimate , Id also get what ever you have their out of their -

the fact that its in your Moms garage unwatched is not good -

dont be afraid to bring suit ( they did admit guilt ) a decent soundboard can be worth a few hundred -dont be afraid to put a honest high estimate on damages .

These people are thieves -and im also betting ( like most handymen ) they dont have two nickles to rub together !

Archived