How do you remove sharpie on an acoustic guitar?

BTR@GTRHERO

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love that guitar.

Thank you--will pass on to Kate. There's quite a bit of family iconography in there. Kate's self-portrait, atom diagrams for my late Dad the physics prof, a Canadian flag honoring my late beloved father-in-law, reference to my duo (Virginia Creeper) and my band (Cup of Tea). Plus lots of other stuff that simply sprung from her own subconscious, apparently. I just said have a go at it, and this is what she did. At 16.

• Members

Elaborate? For you, Pitar, of course!

By 'mark your forehead...' I was subtly suggesting that he rub ashes over that part of his forehead from which a vestigial penis undoubtedly grows, and hope that it disappears with his behavioural adjustments.

Simples, eh?

Never imagined a limp forehead but, there ya go, I'm learning every day. That would be persuasive enough, I think.

• Members

So I've got a Martin acoustic guitar that I vandalized myself one crazy night. I sort of regret it. I wrote all over the solid wood top. the top has no gloss to it. Please help. I want it off.

'This Machine Kills Facists' ??

Phil

• Members

I look at that picture and try to understand. Sorry, I guess I don't. But your mother shouldn't leave her sharpies out. What if you got a tat like that? You said you "sort of regret it". Interesting...

In an earlier reply I said at least you didn't smash it. Maybe you should.

I know I'm late to this thread, but what did he write to bring about this change - (and by the look of things deleted posts?)

Phil

• Members

I know I'm late to this thread, but what did he write to bring about this change - (and by the look of things deleted posts?)

Phil

It was the words "COCK" and "{censored}" in very bold lettering, as I recall. None too artfully inscribed. I seconded the suggestion to turn the whole top black and not try to finesse it. I also think we shouldn't be too hard on the OP--he did come to us for help, and obviously regretted his drunken act. It took some courage to show us that awful pic.

BTW Phil the "kills fascists" quote is what Woody Guthrie had on one of his guits.

• Members

I just got back from a long weekend and had no reply to my offer in #41. I really didn't expect to and really don't expect BTR to come back. Hope he learns something from this - I have this wonderful image of him getting drunk/high/whatever and wandering into a tatoo parlor. I can see a thread title "How do I remove this ink from my arm?"

Offer stands, dude, I'll fix the guitar and find someone who'll take care of it.

• Members

It was the words "COCK" and "{censored}" in very bold lettering, as I recall. None too artfully inscribed. I seconded the suggestion to turn the whole top black and not try to finesse it. I also think we shouldn't be too hard on the OP--he did come to us for help, and obviously regretted his drunken act. It took some courage to show us that awful pic.

BTW Phil the "kills fascists" quote is what Woody Guthrie had on one of his guits.

Yes I know - If you are going to write some thing on your guitar you might as well steal from the best.

Phil

• Members
I also think we shouldn't be too hard on the OP--he did come to us for help, and obviously regretted his drunken act. It took some courage to show us that awful pic.

If only that were the worst thing I did when I was young and stupid. No tattoos, but some scars don't show. ;)

• Members
Wonder if The Lovely and Talented Kate could disguise the OP's "oopsies" and turn them into veritable works of art...if anyone could, I believe she could!
:thu:

The OP asked me about that, but Kate is off at college now and working lots of hours. In her precious spare time she does stuff like this:

KateDrawing.jpg

• Members
Very cool! She's got tons of talent!
:thu:

Thanks TAH. I'll pass that on.

Kate's been drawing all her young life--it's a true passion that hasn't subsided a bit. I hope she never grows out of it.

At one point I was trying to (gently) push the music thing on her--she did viola for a couple of years in middle school, and then piano for a year or so during high school. But her effort was sort of perfunctory. She just didn't love it enough (although she's a very good singer).

(I secretly wanted to turn her into a bass player for my own sake but no dice, Dad :) )

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Alcohol removes Sharpie permanent marker and is less intrusive than Acetone. BUT, make sure you are not dealing with a LACQUER FINISH. Almost any solvents will affect and ruin lacquer. Therefor try anything that is not solvent based if your Martin is lacquer finished, which I believe it is.
I would try baby oil, mineral oil, Naptha, or the like type products, just stay away from thinners, and solvents or you'll be bringing the guitar to us for refinishing. I would contact the Sharpie people with this delema for help. ALSO contact Dan Erlewine of Stew-Mac Luthier Supply with this question. Also call MArtin in Bozeman, MT for help and advice. Chances are someone can remove Sharpie from Lacquer finish.

If the guitar is Polyurethane coated like many newer production instruments, then Alcohol of acetone is OK to use, and it will take the marker off very quickly. NOTE; A good idea is to take off a tuner and test your chemical on the finish that the tuner covers, that way if it is a problem, only the covered finish will be affected.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Greg @ GREG GUITARS LLC

• Members

Welcome, Greg, to our little Zoo.

Unfortunately, you fell for the "Zombie Trap"! You answered a post that's been long, long, long ... well very, very long dead. Dead as in "dead as a Dodo", not just recently deceased. A stiffy. An ex-thread.

• 6 years later...
16 minutes ago, Scott Lakatosh said:

I got a Martin Guitar HD D-28 HERRINGBONE SIGNED BY DIERKS BENTLEY

Up for sale

You might want to put a FS post into the Acoustic Guitar Classifieds section. Please don't spam the main discussion forums. 

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forums/forum/53-acoustic-guitars/

Also, welcome to Harmony Central! :wave: 

Archived