How do you remove sharpie on an acoustic guitar?

BTR@GTRHERO

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It usually takes acetone or lacquer thinner to get Sharpie marks off, BUT THAT WILL ALSO LIKELY RUIN THE FINISH!

You might try a dab in an inconspicuous spot to see, but don't be pissed if it dissolves the finish. Try Mineral spirits or naphtha. If that won't do it, you're {censored} out of luck.

• Members

If the top is HPL take an orbital sander to it if the acetone doesn't do the trick. If it's a solid or laminate wood top she's a goner. I suggest you do what you can with the acetone, either way, have a burst finish applied and sell it as a custom. It may take about 50 coats of paint before the Sharpie ceases to bleed through but just think Gibson.

Joking, folks. Joking...

• Members

A little of the gojo original formula non abrasive hand cleaner rubbed in til it liquefies and wipe off repeat if needed

It is actually very gentle, I have used this on many types of finishes on woods including Delicate antique wood furniture with amazing results

Also used it to clean all the wood and trim in my 111 year old house it is actually mentioned in forums about antique restoration UI was skeptical but tried it and was sold (another case of not what it was for but does great at it!)

1111-06_xl.jpg

• Members

Which model Martin do you have?

Most contemporary Martins are still good old nitro cellulose lacquer. Lots of the solvents that have been mentioned above will react with nitro. The only thing that I'm pretty sure won't is naptha (lighter fluid) but test it on a very out of the way location (back of headstock, maybe the neck heel. It is very likely that it won't remove the sharpie ink.

Glad to hear you "sort of regret" it, I suppose writing on it is better than smashing it or something.

• Members

Try a product called Magic Eraser. It's actually just a sponge.......dampen (not wet just barely damp) and give it a try. I've used them with amazing results. I don't think it will harm the finish, but try it somewhere and try first. It might take a few minutes, but I have been able to remove Sharpie poop from all kings of surfaces.

• Members

I keep a tub of that stuff in the garage but never tried it on anything besides my hands. Interesting...

Google " gojo to clean wood work" lots of discussion about this.

I have a neighbor that runs a clock repair business, he specializes in antique clock repair

He had heard about this but never tried it as he was worried about results on some of the valuable (High end) clocks he repairs and restores.

After seeing my results on some of the things I have used it for, he took a bit of mine and gave it a try.......Now it is his "secret go to" he uses it all the time on all types of finishes

Archived