What's going on with this forum?

sventvkg

• Members

Can't speak for others, only me. I've been busy trying to get more gigs and learn some new songs. Ordered some business cards, revamped the web site (still a work in progress,) and there's been crap around the house to do. Tonight I redid the intonation on my strat and I've got some songs I need to practice.

• Members

workin' on new stuff and taking a "music industry is dying" break, since it's amounts to a massive distraction. There's nothing I can personally do to magically change the world, so you work with where you can make a difference. The rest is someone else's problem to fix.

• Members

Ha ha! Don't get too enthusiastic, sventvkg - the gigs I'm trying to get are cover gigs. I play Elton John, Billy Joel, John Mayer, Beatles, Stones, Keane, REM, etc - what some would label Adult Contemporary plus classics.

I'm doing it because I need the money. And because I love playing this music. Just learned Mother's Little Helper and Let It Be recently. Of course I also play my own music, too. I'm just having fun, really... but I need the extra money, at least for a few more years. I work in public education and much like the rest of the nation I haven't seen a raise in 3 years and likely won't for another 2 or 3. Meanwhile the cost of living keeps going up. I could get a second job, or... get more gigs.

I am writing songs, though, in preparation for my 4th CD. Yup, I'm still going the traditional full 10 song CD route. I'm not trying to make it in the music biz... what I am trying to do is produce exactly the music I want to produce.

All in all, I'm just having a lot of fun with music. But I need a little more spendin' monies.

• Members

About 5 months ago, quite by accident I discovered The Gear Page. To be truthful, folks there are way less offensive, much more helpful, less holier than thou. Pros/serious amateurs on this site have forgotten where they came from.

Thats my 2 Cents

• Members
Very little action? Just wondering.
Bad vibes
? Be honest.

Yes, exactly. I haven't posted or even checked this subforum much because it has become horribly depressing and disheartening. Toss in unwarranted negative comments I got when giving my opinion, and I said "screw it".

• Members

if we can stay away from the obvious
doom and gloom

300_Jessop_HandletheTruth.jpg

Sorry; Couldn't resist :p

It is , without a doubt , best to concentrate on the things that you can actually do something about........... So I'm on hiatus for now ... ( I know you'll all miss me :cry:)

• Members

Yes, exactly. I haven't posted or even checked this subforum much because it has become horribly depressing and disheartening. Toss in unwarranted negative comments I got when giving my opinion, and I said "screw it".

yes, but it is good to read what people can do all wrong to stay out of the business,

also I often learn more from listening to a real bad song then from a perfect one

• Members

Sorry; Couldn't resist
:p

LOL. I did have a similar thought reading some of the negative comments. My take on this forum is somewhat different. There are plenty of forums and music sites that will blow sunshine up my ass and tell me how great it is to be making music in this time, and oh by the way we have this great product for sale... One Million Ways That You Can Become A Millionaire On YouTube... buy it now!

But there are very few places where the truth is actually told. I very much enjoy the debating that goes on here and I have learned a lot from it, about other people and about myself. If your beliefs can't be challenged then they are superstitions, not beliefs. I think we've got a couple of really good participants who've joined us relatively recently with sventvkg and cliftonb... I respect both guys and enjoy reading their opinions even when, no, especially when they disagree with me. Flatfinger is over the top a lot and is our resident cynic but I enjoy debating with him and we usually can meet somewhere in the middle for a beer. Well, not literally, but I would have a beer with him in real life. BlueStrat is part grumpy old man, part voice of experience, but he's been there and done that - he's toured. I haven't. So sometimes I shut up and listen to him. And I've seen his attitude change over the past two years - he's kind of mellowed. I think he's a lot more at peace with the idea of making music for fun.

My experience is real... I really did get a Bachelors in Music Business and I play gigs at least once a month. I have put 3 CD's on iTunes via CDBaby and have purchased almost everything Bob Baker has written, and I admit it. I've been on local radio and television. I think I am a good example of a 40-something singer/songwriter who does music as a hobby but puts his heart and soul into it. I am having an absolute blast.

If people don't want to have their ideas debated, if they just want to blindly plunk down their cash and dream of being the next Rebecca Black (sorry, couldn't resist,) then this forum is not for them. If they want to really analyze a topic and have it looked at from all sides, because we definitely have all sides here, then this is a good place to go. This forum isn't for the 16 year old who wants to be a rock star when he grows up. This forum is for people who are trying to make something happen, right now, in the new music biz, which is changing as we speak, or for people who just find the whole new music biz fascinating and want to discuss it.

But I do recognize that this place can get a bit too hostile and too negative at times. And I do think that we all need to work together to avoid that because it doesn't accomplish anything.

• Members

Well man, Come back!! This should be a good form to discuss ideas if we can stay away from the obvious doom and gloom.

Yes, I agree. But I also think we need to keep it real. Once this place becomes Susy Sunshine Valley, then it loses that which makes it unique.

• Members

I'm just disheartened for the most part. I'm still doing my thing but the big picture looks horrible to me.

In my opinion, (and that's all it is) music performed on actual instruments is on indefinite hiatus until the lo-fi hipster, indie-blog rock, Pitchfork promoted trend comes to an end. The public simply doesn't care for it, the remnants of the industry that still exists can't find a way to sell it to the general public at large. So "rock" music as a whole is stuck in the mud and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

DJ's, Pop Stars, and Hip Hop is all there is out there for kids to pick up on. I don't blame them. If I was givin Lil'Wayne and Lady GaGa on one hand, and the option of Animal Collective and Vampire Weekend on the other. I would certainly go with Wayne and GaGa after I woke up from the comma the "so called" indie rock bands put me into.

• Members

"My Girls" and "Daily Routine" are pretty awesome tunes, and I'm not even an Animal Collective fan. "Giving up the Gun" from Vampire Weekend is cool too especially since RZA (!) is in the video.

I'm not a big fan of either, but if it weren't for the underground I don't think I'd be listening to or buying music.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of either, but if it weren't for the underground I don't think I'd be listening to or buying music.

Sure, they're the only thing going that includes actual instruments. I'm not knocking the bands either, I don't think. I certainly don't mean it that way. I guess what I really think is that with the fall of the old industry the critics have more power than ever before.

In the past, labels had to make a return so they had to bend to the will of the public pretty often. Critics despise the public. They have always had an elitist view of the publics musical tastes and a distain for bands that resonated with them.

Now that critics are the de-facto "filter", kids are being served up music that critics feel is "good for them". The kids don't want to eat their f*cking vegetables and the critics are absolutely positive that they know what's best and refuse to budge. It's a stalemate. If the critics would have programmed MTV in the early 80's you would look back at that decade as the era of Elvis Costello. You would not have Duran Duran, Flock Of Seagulls, Missing Persons, The Cure, Motley Crue, etc etc.

Unfortunately I think that's where "rock" music is at the present time.

• Members

Sure, they're the only thing going that includes actual instruments.

This statement is patently false x1000 (personally I believe samplers, turntables and, computers are actual instruments but that's a totally different discussion), but I sorta get what you're saying about critics being out of touch with the music tastes of the general public. I'm not a big Rock guy so I'll have to take you're word for it as far as the overall state of rock - but there's quite a few bands that I know of that are totally on some next-level ish.

• Members

This statement is patently false x1000 (personally I believe samplers, turntables and, computers
are
actual instruments .

Agree with that completely. I largely meant "musicianship" of any kind. Not just a singer and 40 dancers on stage dancing to a track.

Archived