What's going on with this forum?

sventvkg

• Members

For some reason, after the HC 2.0 debacle, this forum never really returned to its previous level of activity. I believe that coincided with one of BlueStrat's self-imposed bans, but I doubt that was the whole reason.

When it comes to the real-world business side of music, I think that, contrary to stereotypes, HC forum members (the regulars, anyway) are really pretty sophisticated. I haven't found better forums for discussing that stuff than HC's Music Biz and Backstage With The Band.

• Members

The H-C 2.0 debacle is a good theory. I'm sure it has cut into the activity on all the HC forums. I know that I spend a lot more time at TGP and some other sites now. Also, I feel like my experience and perspective as a former major label guy (as artist and exec) was usually dismissed as irrelevant in this forum. So I stop by once in a while to lurk, but I don't feel like I have much to offer in the way dialog -- at least not stuff I haven't already said before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well folks, it's just an internet forum, and yes after HC/Musician's Friend tried to "renovate" things, it largely screwed everything up. Been here before in other incarnations, though I probably won't be back again. I'm not sure how locking threads because they get off topic is all that valuable as well, have you seen the other forums here??? discussion ebb and flow, and so what, people get their feathers ruffled and in the end, is a lot more interesting to read than endless threads on "people are stealing music/how to make a living playing music" over and over again. Get off the computer and play, that's what I'm doing. :thu::idea:

Have a great day.

• Members

I think that for a lot of us, there are times when we want to talk about different things. I've had some questions answered lately in the band area and in the songwriting area. I think it depends on what we are doing currently in our hobby/career.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I am visiting after a year or so and remembered why I stopped coming. While people have been chatting away with worry Ive managed to rank my site on the first page of google for a major high traffic keyword in my niche, made 10 k in licensing fees and gotten my music placed in several hundred indie films, games, corporate presentations and videos.

See you in another year folks...

• Members

Well I am visiting after a year or so and remembered why I stopped coming. While people have been chatting away with worry Ive managed to rank my site on the first page of google for a major high traffic keyword in my niche, made 10 k in licensing fees and gotten my music placed in several hundred indie films, games, corporate presentations and videos.

Um... Pics or it didn't happen.

• Members

10k in licensing fees from several hundreds indie films, games, corporate presentations and videos?!

• Members

There are some things that don't rate bragging , and yet , braggers can't help but brag !

For instance;

Search Engine Optimization ?? ..............

How long will that fine accomplishment last ?.................

Till Google once again revises their ever changing algorithms ..... The cat and mouse game of attempting to maintain a site on page one of a search without a real groundswell from the consumer can only last as long as you're willing to spend important resources and irreplaceable time on those tireless SEO efforts.

It's because that amount of effort alone probably made the $10K worth of income work out to a much less attractive hourly wage that I'll never waste my precious personal time or pay someone for SEO ...... It just doesn't seem to be any more that a push to me and the moment you let up in your efforts all that you built disappears .

Archived