On the subject of... Walters....

Hi everyone!

Walters has a troll reputation across a wide range of Audio Forums across the 'net. I'm aware of it, and I've seen him in action on Musicplayer, here and other forums...

I try to be tolerant, and I've allowed things to continue with Walters because I honestly wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt - it seems that the jury is "out" on who / what Walters is... classic troll, grizzled audio vet who is yanking our chains, nOOb with a lot of imagination but poor communications skills, etc. etc. - but as long as he's not going to be forthcoming about the answer to that riddle, and as long as things are not getting too out of hand, I've felt that there was little harm in assuming that he was just a guy (I guess even that's open for debate / conjecture) with somewhat poor communications skills who was maybe over-reaching a bit and yet who was still sincere about seeking advice...

Besides - and this is key here - if his questions bring up interesting and meaningful discussions that could be of interest to, and helpful to others, then even if he IS a troll (open for debate), then someone is benefiting... and that's why I oftentimes answer his questions and allow things to continue.

Walters, if you're reading this (and I hope you are :) ), the problem is that you don't word things in a way that makes it easy to understand you. Additionally, you ask non-sensical questions on a regular basis... and you respond to answers that should have been quite clear and helpful with more nonsensical and tangental questions. ALL OF THAT MAKES PEOPLE ASSUME YOU'RE A TROLL. :(

I don't want to have to ban you - and I get a lot of requests to do so - and as long as you don't become too disruptive to the community here, and make an effort to help us help you, I won't... but if you cross over those lines, or don't make an effort to bridge that communication gap, or flood the board with tons of new threads, we're going to have to "talk".

I'd like to ask a few favors from all of you:

First of all, to Walters: Please try to be more intelligible with your questions. Don't use "run on" sentences if you can avoid them. Use punctuation. Tell us what you're trying to do, what you've tried and then be specific about what it is you don't understand. Additionally, a bit of research and study on your part ( Google is your friend ) may clear things up for you - please do some basic study first and then come here for help with what you don't understand or need additional help with.

I would also like to ask (insist on really :) ) that you limit your new threads to only one or two per week please. If you're discussing one topic, and a related topic / issue / question comes up, you can continue to discuss that in the thread that is already established.

And for everyone else, I would like to ask that you try to be a bit understanding. I know that discussions with Walters can get frustrating (due to the language / phrasing of his questions, as well as the possible troll aspects), and if you reach the "frustration threshold", I ask that you either bow out of the discussion, add him to your "ignore list" or whatever.

If you go into a discussion with Walters with the thought that it might not benefit HIM, but it might benefit someone ELSE, then it takes a lot of the frustration out of it. ;)

• Moderators

I realize this isn't a democracy, but I cast my vote FOR Walters. :thu:

I think he's a cagey old vet messing with us, and even if he isn't his questions are thought provoking and different from the usual very specific, practical questions.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would get irritated by his posts, but I don't have much of a temper. My advice to those folks is simple: if you see Walters as the thread starter, just don't read that that thread.

Simple? You bet. But a lot of you can't do it, and I think you should ask yourselves why that is.

:)

Terry D.

Good point Terry... In my opinion / experience, the best way to handle a troll is to ignore them. True trolls seek attention beyond all else. And if Walters IS indeed a troll, the fact that I / we answer him may encourage him... but again, my position is that as long as the questions are relatively ON topic to this forum, SOMEONE might benefit from the discussions / answers. And it's for them that I make the attempt to respond / answer. Frankly, I don't know that any of my responses have ever been helpful / beneficial to Walters directly... :(

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

I think he's a cagey old vet messing with us, and even if he isn't his questions are thought provoking and different from the usual very specific, practical questions.

Occasionally, but the great many of them are so retarded it's hard to laugh or gain any useful information that I couldn't find elsewhere.

How is it thought-provoking to ask questions answered by your most basic audio-engineering understanding or google?

I don't think he's a pro, but he's excellent at regurgitation. It'd be different if he had a sincere interest in expanding his own, or our collective understanding.

Going out of your way to waste the time of the helpful members of *any* forum is rude and worthless.

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

And it's for
them
that I make the attempt to respond / answer. Frankly, I don't know that any of my responses have ever been helpful / beneficial to Walters directly...
:(

That's just it, I'm no stranger to internet trolls, I just find this particular one less constructive and humorous than the rest.

• Moderators

I trust my instincts on this. He knows what he's talking about, and is very creative in having fun with his readers.

I know many others agree with me. I've never been unkind or made fun of Walters. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I answer him in the spirit he asks his questions.

If that's inappropriate here, then I respect your call on this Phil and will bow out of any further exchange with him.

I've answered questions in the past for him only to be egged on. I've never taken offense and frankly admired his sense of humor. Don't lose sight of the fact he has a sense of humor. But I'm not going to play his game if I'm not allowed to play by the very rules that he himself created.

Come on Phil, you know what's up. Unless... YOU'RE REALLY WALTERS!

• Members

Walters doesn't have a great sense of humour. The humour comes from the creative people he stirs up - and that can be drop dead funny.

I think 'regurgitation' - sums him up fairly well. But he's isn't clever - he can't even use quote tags properly, and that makes him hard to understand when he's just pasting stuff. Although, something so annoying could be part of the master-troll plan.

I wondered if we were dealing with a robot virus sort of thing at one stage - but sometimes he drops in a little human stuff that make you feel a bit sorry for the dude/dudette.

The story that he gave about working with real audio engineers, and some of the things he has dropped into his posts make we think he might actually be a handicapped person who is employed in a limited capacity and is sort of viewing a world he can't understand and has lots of time to kill ...

Sometimes i feel bad about troll roasting Walters. But then he/she drops some really nasty comments and i don't feel so bad. I think he/she can take it.

I don't think there is any real intelligence there really. Just re-gurgitation, and maybe some limited real life experience. Wherever he works, it sounds like a sad place for him. Or maybe he's just as obnoxious in real life.

I hope he can get over this and move on. Life's too short to play the moron, especially if you're capable of better.

• Members
Originally posted by Kiwiburger

The story that he gave about working with real audio engineers, and some of the things he has dropped into his posts make we think he might actually be a handicapped person who is employed in a limited capacity and is sort of viewing a world he can't understand and has lots of time to kill ...

Sometimes i feel bad about troll roasting Walters. But then he/she drops some really nasty comments and i don't feel so bad. I think he/she can take it.

I don't think there is any real intelligence there really. Just re-gurgitation, and maybe some limited real life experience. Wherever he works, it sounds like a sad place for him. Or maybe he's just as obnoxious in real life.

That's exactly my thoughts on the matter, the act just confuses me. We don't need to be impressed by what someone has done (or is doing) to help others. It's absolutely unnecessary.

• Moderators

Walters doesn't have a great sense of humour. The humour comes from the creative people he stirs up - and that can be drop dead funny.

I think 'regurgitation' - sums him up fairly well. But he's isn't clever - he can't even use quote tags properly, and that makes him hard to understand when he's just pasting stuff. Although, something so annoying could be part of the master-troll plan.

I wondered if we were dealing with a robot virus sort of thing at one stage - but sometimes he drops in a little human stuff that make you feel a bit sorry for the dude/dudette.

I hope he can get over this and move on. Life's too short to play the moron, especially if you're capable of better.

But Walters has been around awhile. Back at the old digs he used to appear in a slightly more intelligent, yet still bizarre guise. Gearslutz and other venues as well. He's just morphing.

He's performance art... but he is loosing his edge. It's gotten old, but I still admire the creativity that goes into his "work".

In my opinion Kiwi, you are one of the few to get him to play the pissed off, picked on geeky kid. But that's just more of his act, and I've enjoyed watching that too.

I do agree that too much of a good thing is just too much. Too many threads Walters. Leave 'em wanting more, ya know?

• Members

I don't think it's performance art. {censored} - if that's what he/she's going for, it's a failure.

If you want performance art, you should read some of Wendy Carlos's stuff. She really knows how to spin audio technology terms into really funny stuff - i think Fletcher has a link of some of her pro-recording humour.

Funny that - Wendy Carlos used to be called Walter Carlos ... The genius of Switched On Bach fame.

Here is some real humour .... http://mercenary.com/rectipforbeg1.html

• Members

i have no idea what walters deal is. he used to be funnier, but sometimes i still get a laugh. I say let him stay too, if you don't like him or think he's a troll then dont read it.

or are you one of those people that complains about too much sex on TV and for some reason can't figure out to change the channel?:D

• Members

yeah, oh well I guess........... It unfortunately does send a jacked up message in a way, that no matter what you do or say, you cant get kicked off any message board, no matter what you do.

Almost like Walters is a County employee at HS.....

If he appropriated (look it up Walters) funds for a 200 dollar hammer at the counties expense, he would get a raise, or a medal, either one:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

:bor:

I'd say this sums his viewpoint up very well. Phil opened the door for Walters to explain himself, or at least offer an apology for his often incorhearant posts, and instead he responds in this IMHO rude and unprofessional way. I vote him off.

• Members

I guess I'd even go so far as to say - give Walters its' own forum, let it be moderator and just deal with whatever happens and keep it out of everything else...it's all not very thought provoking or stimulating at all at this point - considering what I know about the subject of Walters.

• Members

The joke is on you then. If none of us replied, then there would be no Walters. As it is, you've just added several posts of your own and bumped these threads straight to #1 with a bullet.

It's like everyone is standing around a big pool of sewage, sometimes complaining about it, but then running and jumping right into it and then adding some more.

And yes i'm aware of the irony.

Fun, innit?

• Members

And yes i'm aware of the irony.

Fun, innit?

Haha - it was for a minute or 2...I liked talking to most everyone else in the threads and even you Kiwi - but I'm not the problem - I won't give you that.

Archived