On the subject of... Walters....

• Members

I see it this way -

Some of walters's posts make semi-sense, and then others are just so far 'out there' that a person hasn't a clue as to what he is talking about.

About the only time he 'makes sense' (such as it is) is when he is whining that everyone is picking on him, and no one is staying on subject.... and that's not really an untrue statement!

Thing is, it is so hard to stay on track; if you were in a boardroom meeting and Bozo The Clown came in with his full costume and started squirting you with seltzer water, would the meeting continue in a rational matter, or would it fall apart?

I can't say that he should be banned, but his posts should be moderated before they get posted. Of course that would take a lot of Phil's time.

People have said "Just ignore him and he'll go away." Okay. Try this - DON'T think of vanilla ice cream. At all. I repeat - do NOT think of vanilla ice cream.

Any luck? How long can you not think of vanilla ice cream at all - 3 seconds?

As long as walters's posts continue as they have, people will get silly in their replies to him. Others will get pulled in, just like when you drive by a accident; you can't help but slow down and take a look.....

• Moderators

Originally posted by kylen

I don't like it - there has to be better things to do with mega-bytes than this
:mad:

Don't worry, all these posts and their associated count will be lost from the servers by one accident or another in short order.

Think of HC forums as ice sculpture: temporary beauty at best!

In the meantime - enjoy! :D

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by dougb415

I see it this way -

Some of walters's posts make semi-sense, and then others are just so far 'out there' that a person hasn't a clue as to what he is talking about.

About the only time he 'makes sense' (such as it is) is when he is whining that everyone is picking on him, and no one is staying on subject.... and that's not really an untrue statement!

Thing is, it is so hard to stay on track; if you were in a boardroom meeting and Bozo The Clown came in with his full costume and started squirting you with seltzer water, would the meeting continue in a rational matter, or would it fall apart?

I can't say that he should be banned, but his posts should be moderated before they get posted. Of course that would take a lot of Phil's time.

People have said "Just ignore him and he'll go away." Okay. Try this - DON'T think of vanilla ice cream. At all. I repeat - do NOT think of vanilla ice cream.

Any luck? How long can you not think of vanilla ice cream at all - 3 seconds?

As long as walters's posts continue as they have, people will get silly in their replies to him. Others will get pulled in, just like when you drive by a accident; you can't help but slow down and take a look.....

WELL said, dough. Thank you.

• Members

"walters" preys on folks' tolerance and better natures. I've conversed online with a person I think may be behind "walters" and he seems to view himself as an entertainer/provocateur (that's my interpretation -- not something he actually overtly said).

The first few times around, I suppose, there can be some entertainment in his familiar pattern of an innocent, usually understandable question which, when answered by sincere folks trying to help, will be followed by a series of questions that grows ever more perplexing.

The problem -- aside from the fact that it takes advantage of the generosity of strangers and makes a mockery of that generosity -- is that it ultimately makes it harder for legitimate newbies to get that little extra help that can make or break an initial foray into the often confusing world of recording.

I'm proud of Phil and others for his/their generosity in giving "walters" extra room... but I have to say, if "walters" was a legitimate newbie, he wouldn't have spent thousands of posts on a wide number of BBs across the web in many score -- if not hundreds -- of self-initiated threads that follow an almost ritualistic arc from sensible initial question to mind-numbingly obtuse questions that simultaneously reveal at least a yeoman familiarity with recording terms and technology but are posed in such a way as to be purposefully absurd. The pattern is self-evident if one looks a 10 or 15 of these threads.

Anyhow, whatever entertainment value may be derived comes at the expense of generous experienced people as well as legitimate newbies. I think folks -- and those behind "walters" -- should keep that in mind.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Hey Walters, as your holiday gift to us, and mine to you, how about you go over to the
for awhile. Dan, Agedhorse and others will indulge you to the core over there, I guarantee. You'll be right up their alley!!!!

Happy Holidays!!!!!!

Funny thing, Nick, is that the only time we have these kinds of problem posts is when you started posting over there. Go figure:idea:

• Members

I get the sense that walters has a nominal capacity for understanding, but is more or less regurgitating as opposed to someone highly knowledgable - even within the context of his performances. He can't really play the extension of his schtick (as per maybe the Smothers or Steve Martin, or Benny or any number of other comic performers) once it gets beyond his knowledge horizon..so you see him bandy about terms definitions and concepts maybe gleened from a quicky google search and some basic articles...but once you touch on the meat, Walters can kind of shy baack to the very basic premises and he loses his "comedy of extension" and has to rely on "comedy of repetition"

I think my major gripes are

-the disrespect of those genuinely trying to help (OK, play the clown for a couple of rounds, but let the real information flow...that way you have your comic performance AND a real informative conversation starts)

- The performance is poor, Walters seems to be aiming for Andy Kaufman, but is hitting more Paully Shore type levels. I think (like his understanding of a lot of the subjects he asks about) his understanding of the comedic device he relies on is superficial.

-The inaccuracies in the posts - it just confuses issues...as some of the questions themselves are actually valid, they can be good food for conversation. The problem therein is that Walters mixes in the inaccurate, which can confuse the conversation. Perhaps if Walters just played the idiot...simply regurgitating as he does when out of his depth, as opposed to trying tolink concepts incorrectly...it would be helpful as he could play his schtick AND the conversation could continue

Hopefuly Walters will read this both for the good of the forum and to improve the comic performance

• Moderators

Originally posted by MorePaul

I get the sense that walters has a nominal capacity for understanding, but is more or less regurgitating as opposed to someone highly knowledgable - even within the context of his performances. He can't really play the extension of his schtick (as per maybe the Smothers or Steve Martin, or Benny or any number of other comic performers) once it gets beyond his knowledge horizon..so you see him bandy about terms definitions and concepts maybe gleened from a quicky google search and some basic articles...but once you touch on the meat, Walters can kind of shy baack to the very basic premises and he loses his "comedy of extension" and has to rely on "comedy of repetition"

I think my major gripes are

-the disrespect of those genuinely trying to help (OK, play the clown for a couple of rounds, but let the real information flow...that way you have your comic performance AND a real informative conversation starts)

- The performance is poor, Walters seems to be aiming for Andy Kaufman, but is hitting more Paully Shore type levels. I think (like his understanding of a lot of the subjects he asks about) his understanding of the comedic device he relies on is superficial.

-The inaccuracies in the posts - it just confuses issues...as some of the questions themselves are actually valid, they can be good food for conversation. The problem therein is that Walters mixes in the inaccurate, which can confuse the conversation. Perhaps if Walters
just
played the idiot...simply regurgitating as he does when out of his depth, as opposed to trying tolink concepts incorrectly...it would be helpful as he could play his schtick AND the conversation could continue

Hopefuly Walters will read this both for the good of the forum and to improve the comic performance

:thu: I think you nailed it perfectly.

Walters seems to be aiming for Andy Kaufman, but is hitting more Paully Shore type levels

That's it. I've been interested in this Walters guy since the posting began on other forums but it has gone down hill rapidly these past few weeks and has become a drag.

Rarely are there positive things coming out of his threads anymore, be it info (provided by others) or comedy (sometimes provided by him, usually others).

It's like going to see a comedy in the theatre and you've already seen the funny bits on the adds for the past week or 2. The bit comes up and you sort of half laugh because you know it's funny... but not really anymore as you've seen it, and seen it, and seen it. Then you realize they've put ALL the funny stuff in the adds and there's not one bit that is new... seen it all.

It's like that.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

:thu:
I think you nailed it perfectly.

Walters seems to be aiming for Andy Kaufman, but is hitting more Paully Shore type levels

That's it. I've been interested in this Walters guy since the posting began on other forums but it has gone down hill rapidly these past few weeks and has become a drag.

Rarely are there positive things coming out of his threads anymore, be it info (provided by others) or comedy (sometimes provided by him, usually others).

It's like going to see a comedy in the theatre and you've already seen the funny bits on the adds for the past week or 2. The bit comes up and you sort of half laugh because you know it's funny... but not really anymore as you've seen it, and seen it, and seen it. Then you realize they've put ALL the funny stuff in the adds and there's not one bit that is new... seen it all.

It's like that.

Yeah, cept its the guys who really KNOW their stuff that pay the price should they attempt to bother answering his mundane nonsense.

Sir H C, (over in the FX forum) really tried to give serious answers to the questions posed, and Walters got really nasty with him. This is an expert giving the guy the right direction to learn more (AGAIN), and he ignores it completely. Add to that the rude name-calling, and bashing the fact that the guy has an electrical engineering degree and you get the picture.

Sir H C, (over in the FX forum) really tried to give serious answers to the questions posed, and Walters got really nasty with him. This is an expert giving the guy the right direction to learn more (AGAIN), and he ignores it completely. Add to that the rude name-calling, and bashing the fact that the guy has an electrical engineering degree and you get the picture.

And as soon as Walters got "nailed with knowledge", and called on it, he immediately dropped out of the thread.... I found that interesting. Then again, maybe my public rebuke had something to do with that... so again, just to make sure you didn't "miss the warning" Walters - please check your Private Messages. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

And as soon as Walters got "nailed with knowledge", and called on it, he immediately dropped out of the thread.... I found that interesting. Then again, maybe my public rebuke had something to do with that... so again, just to make sure you didn't "miss the warning" Walters - please check your Private Messages.
:wave:

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Sometimes its like hes purposely leaving out all attempts at punctuation in his questions, then it gets steadily worse the more info thats given him. That is... until H C nailed him ;)

• Members

Originally posted by zuul777

I heard a rumor that walters is a crazy homeless man in detroit, posting from a public library.

Then again, I've also heard that he works for the government, is a hollywood actress, a strip club owner, or a kamikazee pilot.

you make it sound like those are mutually exclusive :D

• Members
Originally posted by zuul777

I heard a rumor that walters is a crazy homeless man in detroit, posting from a public library.

Then again, I've also heard that he works for the government, is a hollywood actress, a strip club owner, or a kamikazee pilot.

Walters is John Nash!

Archived