Show of hands...

• Members

Ah yes - that essential studio item. My lava lamp has just faded over time :cry:

From what I understand, it's wax and water. The wax is dyed with oil-soluble dye, and the water is dyed with water soluble dye. Otherwise they would just mix and end up a uniform color.

So basically, it's molten wax embeded in your carpet ... I think a steam cleaner that has some real heat, and water and detergents should be able to get this out.

• Members

so then i guess now you should be getting a giant disco ball. definitely.....giant and shiny.

satisfied customer's friend:

"Your album sounds great man"

satisfied customer

"Yeah I know, Phil O'Keefe is the {censored}, but when I went for the mixing session he had this giant disco ball and wouldn't turn off the strobe light. I couldn't tell what the hell he was doing or why he was dancing, but it worked."

• Members

I have a fix for wax in a carpet. I don't know about lava lamps, but if you have wax on your carpet...

Take a bunch of tissue paper (like the stuff used in giftwrapping) or something similar like butcher paper or paper from shopping bags. Newspaper will work too, but might leave newsprint behind. Place a few sheets over the mess and press with a hot iron. The paper will soak up the wax. Repeat as necessary untill you are getting no more wax in the paper.

This works. :thu:

Originally posted by toddlans

so then i guess now you should be getting a giant disco ball. definitely.....giant and shiny.

satisfied customer's friend:

"Your album sounds great man"

satisfied customer

"Yeah I know, Phil O'Keefe is the {censored}, but when I went for the mixing session he had this giant disco ball and wouldn't turn off the strobe light. I couldn't tell what the hell he was doing or why he was dancing, but it worked."

ROTFL! :D

Great suggestions guys - thanks a bunch. :thu:

• Members

When I was a little kid I broke the family lava lamp (yes, even good, suburban Republican families had lava lamps in the early 60's... it just took a few years to figure out what to do with them).

But I have no recollection of the aftermath (which I'm assuming means it was ugly).

But I loved that thing, myself, so maybe it was just the anguish of destroying something special and beautiful...

Damn. This makes me sad.

Well, I'll let you folks in on a couple of secrets. :) A few years ago, I told my wife I wanted a Lava Lamp for Christmas. Every studio MUST have one - it's the law or something. Anyway, she goes down to Spencer's, and instead of your standard Lava brand motion lamp, she gets me some sort of off brand clone. Except it doesn't look like the standard Lava lamps... it's a big rocket shp. Except everyone, and I do mean nearly everyone, upon first seeing it, tells me it looks like a giant phallic symbol. And you know, it really DID! :eek: So eventually, I go to Radio Shack for something or another and I get two of the little mini Lava Lamps... but I've still got this giant phallus sitting there. And I can't get rid of it, because after all, it was a gift from the wife... so anyway, that's the lamp that hit the deck. And no, I did NOT mean for that to happen... at least that's the story I'm sticking with. ;) OTOH, if one of them had to break, I'm glad it was that one. :D

• Members

So were you able to clean the carpet? How'd you do it?

I have a "reg'lar" lookin' lava lamp. Blue. I mean, of course it's blue. It's in Blueberry Buddha Studios, after all... :D

I have a cheap-ass one that's attached to a $5 desklamp that I got from Walgreen's. Couldn't pass up a $5 desklamp with a lava lamp (I needed the desklamp. No, really).

All studios must have a lava lamp. It's the law. Friends don't let friends run lava lampless studios.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Every studio MUST have one - it's the law or something.

They are strictly forbidden in my control room... they clash with the "voodoo/pimp and skull" motif...

We have a skull lamp in the bathroom [yes, my control room has a terlet... not only that, the seat has a "punisher" logo] 44513425748080_0.jpgthe "door" to the loo is a red velvet curtain on a rather medieval pointed curtain rod... there is a curved version of this to hold the curtain back when not in use and another which is being used as a toilet paper holder.

In the back of the control room is a cheetah pattern couch [it's actually called a "fainting couch"], black ceramic lamps with white leopard lamp shades... leopard throw pillows, leopard rug, black kidney shaped coffee table in front of the couch with books on Von Dutch and Big Daddy Roth...

On the right side wall [from the back of the mix position to the back wall of the room] is a mural [painted by my oldest daughter] with a tree that has people painted on the tree as if they were bark, with spirits rising, a river flowing through it fading into a grassy knoll... on the other side of the room a new mural [by the same daughter] is under way that will look like a cross between a tribal tattoo and a "Medusa" kind of figure. In each of the back corners is a wooden staff with a hand carved skull on the top.

On the meter bridge of the desk is my "Ancestral Protection Voodoo Doll" along with a shaker that only works in one direction... on top of my S3-A's is a stuffed shark on the left side and a glow in the dark "skull shaker" sitting on the front inside corner of the monitor... the right speaker has a stuffed armadillo.

The talkback mic is a Russian ribbon mic that was allegedly stolen from the Politburo [it actually has a little commie "CCCP" logo on the body of the mic].

The "mains" are UREi 813A's that are soffit mounted with the cabinets cloth covered with the same blue [fire proof coated] cloth that is the side walls, ceiling and loo covering... all with a stained wood trim... the doors are from "Syncro Sound" [The CARS old studio] as are the dimmers for the track lighting.

If anyone brings a lava lamp into that room I will personally shove it up their ass then plug it in.