Best buy for the buck around $600

KATMAN

• Members

If I were to buy a new guitar,say at $600,what would be the best guitar to get at for that price? Forget brand names,let's chunck them aside right now. I mean what guitar has the best vaule? I was looking at some,like the Parker PM-20,neat axe,nice looks,but is it a good buy? I'm ruling out Epiphone,I hear they're a hit and miss thing.It shouldn't be hit and miss for $500-$600,Squires and MIM's yes.Ibanez is another possibility,anything else I should look at? I have a MIM Fender Strat now.

• Members

I was looking in the MF site and looked at the Parker PM-20 close up,and that is a ugly guitar. I like the Fly version one a lot better. I also liked what I saw of Godin,I heard those were dynamite guitars for the bucks,and it comes close to a Gibby Les Paul.I've heard nothing bad from Agile. But I really don't like to mail order and let them leave a $500 guitar hanging outside my door,it may not be there when I come home from work.

• Members

Used USA G&L ASAT or Legacy, if you like strat or tele style guitars.

Maybe a Tokai or used Epiphone Elitist, for an LP style.

I have the PM-20. People either hate or love the looks. It is a very nice feeling guitar. I don't think the sound is a replacement for a Les Paul or a Strat or a SG. I don't think it's worth 600. I got mine new, open box for $429, and I think that's about what it's worth.

• Members

for resale, I would say probably the faded series Gibsons.

for value well under 600.00 I would suggest Godin freeway classic. plays like a 1000.00 dollar guitar .. but only costs around 499.00 and is assembled in USA from parts made in Canada

Schecter's are great for the money. but they are from korea.

Wishnevsky's are dirt cheap and butt ugly, but they are good solid workhorses for 2-3 bills and they are USA made.

after that... just play it, if it feels good ... it must be good.

• Members

Originally posted by KATMAN

I was looking in the MF site and looked at the Parker PM-20 close up,and that is a ugly guitar. I like the Fly version one a lot better. I also liked what I saw of Godin,I heard those were dynamite guitars for the bucks,and it comes close to a Gibby Les Paul.I've heard nothing bad from Agile. But I really don't like to mail order and let them leave a $500 guitar hanging outside my door,it may not be there when I come home from work.

Why don't you have it delivered to your office?

• Members

For that price range, I'd look at a few things depending on what I already had in my arsenal. That is a great price range with tons of great options -- almost to many! For me, no Ibanez at all. Gotta go higher up the food chain for something I like.

1. PRS SE Series -- the new Custom or Doublecut. If you want single coils, get the Soapbar II Maple. All under $450 if you shop.

2. BC Rich New Jersey Classic Mockingbird. Neck through. Beautiful guitar and they play like a dream. Sound great.

158741.jpg

3. Fender Jimmy Vaughn Signature Strat. Great strat, great features, great price. Can't go wrong here.

4. Fender TC-90 Thinline. Oh yeah!

308638.jpg

5. ESP Viper 400

273022.jpg

• Members

Agreed, just kind of the way you presented it I guess and what I see going on in the stores! So all in my mind prolly. Seems lots of folks get into that price range, go to GC and thats about all they push on them. See it all the time up here!! Kind of like its the default $600 guitar line! "You have $600, let me show you this C-1 Classic! Oh you like singlecuts, how bout the PT line!"

I'd personally look at an ESP Viper 400 or that Fender TC-90 Thinline.

Archived