What was your obsession before guitars?

GAS Man

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Photography - and I mean REAL photography, none of that cheesy plastic-digicam-button pressing stuff.

Develop my own film, make my own prints in the darkroom (only black and white, color is for losers :D), own about 60 to 80 vintage cameras (but use only 2 for 90% of the time: a Leica M2 and a Rolleiflex, kinda like the vintage Les Paul and Stratocaster of of photography).

You can see a very little bit of my stuff here: http://www.pbase.com/romans
- but I'm not good with tweaking pics on the computer, scanning prints, etc., they usually look much better on paper than on the screen, that's why I only have a few pics on that site, mainly band pics I did for friends...

• Members
Originally posted by jjpistols

masturbation

I'm still pretty good

Is your playing effected by this obsession? :D

I started playing guitar in 12th grade, a little before I was 18.
I watched alot of TV before, and did some stuff here and there,
was interested in girls, but never really had any obsession.
Now I'm obsessed with guitars, and specific girls at times,
and most my interests have something to do with guitars, music,
writing and girls.

• Members

-Computers
-Photography/Video
-Motorcycles
-Vintage Volkswagens
-Car stereo stuff

...I think I actually spend MORE on my motorcycle when it's my obsession than I do on guitar stuff (chrome is expensive!) Still mess around with the photography & video, although not as much as I'd like. Computers are becoming too much like work, I just want a couple reliable machines nowadays (I think my days of building from scratch and installing random operating systems 'just for fun' are over). I will probably sell the last of the VW's ('72 Type II) this summer, I just don't have the time/space/money to work on it anymore:( Haven't messed around with the car stereo stuff in many years, although I still have some stuff in a closet somewhere...

• Members

Prior major obsessions (in chronological order):

Drawing

Building model kits

Guns

Music (just listening to it)

Martial arts

Playing bass

Oh, and fishing! It's so frickin' natural to me that I don't even think about it. Through all the stages it always rivalled the other hangup.

• Members

For me, it was motor racing, specifically Formula One. I've played drums, bass and guitar for years, but 90% of my brain's bandwidth was taken up with F1 statistics and trivia. So much so, that I wound up with a part time job in the sport's media. Gave it up at the end of 2003, and I've barely watched a race since.

Now it's just guitars!

• Members

Started playing in 7th grade.

Before that I was an airplane geek-Watched top gun everyday made plastic model kits

Saxophone 3rd grade to 12th. I got worse in HS

I was obsessed with my remote controlled plane for a year.

Kind of discovered music in 6th grade

Instead of a new plane I bought a guitar.

Needed to go to college...Oh ya thats right I always wanted to fly.

Right now Im obssessed with my new PRS and spending money I dont have on flying. $7,000 in one semester just on flight.

• Members
Originally posted by flatout

For me, it was motor racing, specifically Formula One. I've played drums, bass and guitar for years, but 90% of my brain's bandwidth was taken up with F1 statistics and trivia. So much so, that I wound up with a part time job in the sport's media. Gave it up at the end of 2003, and I've barely watched a race since.

Now it's just guitars!

:wave: I live near you (Northampton).

• Members

I was 12 or 13 when I started... before guitar I was really into punk music and Spiderman. I used to draw too... mostly "design" drawing, not "art" drawing. For a long time I wanted to be a superhero or a secret agent, so I designed hover bikes and laser guns and stuff.

For some reason I really liked to dig holes in the dirt. BIG holes. Sometimes I'd hide stuff in 'em.

I really liked fire too. Some might say I had a problem. I say I had a skill!

• Members
Originally posted by shred and roll

Not too many guys 5'9 white
or
black can dunk it.

this is true, but spud web gave us short guys hope

lol

Originally posted by Oyaji

White guy, huh?
:(

i thought the same thing

i am white and can play bball, got a hell of a 3 point shot but cant get the that damn rim to save my life
i am 5' 10":(

• Members

i was 14 when i started playing. i was into cb radios, drawing and picture taking before that .not really obsessed with that stuff but into it as much as a 14 year old can be.

28 years later i have 3 "hobbies

cb radios
playing bass( and now guitar for the last month and a half)
handguns( i do not hunt, i shoot targets) i will not shoot anything that aint trying to kill me

Archived