Post your Confessionals HERE! I succumbed to GAS this month by buying-

GAS Man

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really gas. This was my most thought out guitar buy in a very long while. I had a lot of pretty cheap guitars that all were pretty good playing - guitars that 6 months ago I would have sworn that I could never get rid off.

Well one day in March I decided to not have any regrets about it and just sell them all except maybe one or two. I have now sold 7 of them and only kept my Eastwood Hi-Flyer. It has a bunch of cosmetic problems but it plays great so I couldn't get rid of that. Besides I need a backup guitar...

For the money I got for my cheapos I have bought a Gretsch G5125. I also have enough money left to buy an amp I have been wanting for a long time (Vox ADVT50).

I'm actually a bit proud of myself. When I started selling off my guitars I had the notion that I wanted to buy a Richwood guitar like this from ebay and G.A.S. WAS setting in (they are not available locally):

RE-480-OR1.jpg

However, I kept thinking about it for a couple of weeks before I started contemplating actually buying a Gretsch instead - even though it was more money than I was ready to spend initially. After two more weeks of thinking about it (and getting rid of three more guitars) I finally decided to get the real thing.

And I'm happy I did!

• Members
Originally posted by frozenbluth

The amount of gear some of you buy is revolting and thoroughly unnecessary.

Obviously I have no right to tell anyone how to spend their money, but do people ever considered doing something worthwhile with their funds, such as donating to a charity -- rather than buy their twelfth electric guitar using the rationale that it was 10% off and is a different color than anything in their collection?

Yuck.

I bought an Epiphone in February. It's my first electric, and my last for a very, very long time.

I've got an idea....until you show up every month with your checkbook to pay my bills and buy my groceries....you do your thing, I'll do mine......you sound like a frontrunner for the Democratic nominee for president to me
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I bought an Epi VJ Head this month....and it's staying. Nice little amp for not much dough for sure.

• Members

I recently succumbed to major GAS. I hadn't bought any gear for several months. Well now I've really gone and done it.

Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fender 2006 MIM Telecaster (hasn't arrived yet)
EH Deluxe Memory Man (hasn't arrived yet)

No pics yet. Only had a few days with the Schecter and the Twin, but I'm loving both. The Twin is so amazingly clean and loud. It's exactly what I've always wanted from an amp. I plugged my strat into it and cranked the reverb and it's so wet I feel like I'm at the beach riding a wave. It will compliment my Marshall 3203 quite well.

The Schecter satisfies my chugging needs and is a great playing and looking guitar. It easily surpassed all my expectations. I'm still kind of mixed on the EMG's however. I do like them, I'm just not used to the dry overdriven dynamics. I didn't buy it for cleans though so I'll probably keep it stock. The finish is amazing.

The telecaster and pedal should be arriving tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to owning my first Tely as well. I can't wait to plug it into the Twin with the delay and reverb. Hopefully, I'll be starting 2 different projects very soon. My last band is going through a lineup change (I'll still be on bass). I'll also be the main guitar player/song writer in the other project - finally! This should be a great summer.

• Members

Hi, my name is Ned. ("Hi, Ned".)

Today I purchased a cool Dunlop strap lock plastic thingy, to help keep the strap attached to the 1/4 inch plug jack on my Alvarez acoustic guitar. Cost $2. Works ok, gonna get another tomorrow fo rthe other end of the strap.

WHile I'm there, at the shop, I might look at a few things.

• Members

..................ummm............

I had a busy month. I bought a cheap classical guitar, an '86 Ibanez Roadstar II RG410CI, a Jay Turser JT-280 Mosrite clone, a Kramer RR V, a EHX Octave Multiplexer, a ZVEX Super Hard On, and a Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo.

....and some strings......

• Members
Originally posted by SentimentalMood

..................ummm............

I had a busy month. I bought a cheap classical guitar, an '86 Ibanez Roadstar II RG410CI, a Jay Turser JT-280 Mosrite clone, a Kramer RR V, a EHX Octave Multiplexer, a ZVEX Super Hard On, and a Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo.

....and some strings......

Do you still like the Mosrite? :)

• Members

Originally posted by guitarNed

I feel sorry for you people. I put my money in the bank every month, in case I have a life emergency. I have a Squier I bought used a few years ago, and a 15 watt SS practice amp. They are entirely adequate for my needs.

Maybe some day, many years from now, I might invest in one of the less expensive Agiles, and maybe a 30 watt Crate amp.

Or maybe I'll just purchase a LES PAUL STANDARD, or an Ameerican Deluxe TELECASTER, and a MARTIN HD28, and a J45 Gibson rosewood custom, and a GIBSON BLUESHAWK and *&@$% @#(& GSPSHKKKK. AHHHHKGH.

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

So do I - about 18% of my gross gets invested. Anyone with half a brain knows that you have to do your saving and investing first, then spend what's left, so what's your point?

Please don't assume that YOUR definition of what is reasonable and necessary is going to be appropriate for everyone else.

Originally posted by bluesbeginner

That's cool. There's no need to pour cold water on everyone else, however.

Get over yourself, man, and chill. This is a forum for discussing this kind of stuff, and if it induces pity in you, then you are wasting your time reading and posting in it.

Pick up your guitar and play and have fun, rather than taking pot shots at others here.

Originally posted by

tom_s252

Hi guys. Thank you all for responding.

I see, now, that I was narrow and judgmental. Perhaps collecting and enjoying guitars is a valid use of money. I will stop down at my local guitar shop and check out what's in stock.

It may be time for me to spread my wings a bit. I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a few small purchases.

Thanks again!

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

A bad month for me, probably my worst!

1) A Fender Deluxe Strat Bad Boy Blue

rationalization - I sold a tele so it was like a partial trade.

2) Gibson SG Classic

rationalization - I had a $120 MF store credit to burn and they were raising the prices on them again back up to a grand!
:eek:
and I have another guitar up for sale.

3) Fender Jaguar Baritone

rationalization - M123 had a 10% off deal, and I've been wanting a Baritone for Spaghetti Western tones.

4) Fender SRV Strat

rationalization - again 10% off at M123 and I may sell of my '60's MIJ Foto Flame Strat with Texas Specials to help offset the cost.

5) Fender Deluxe Reverb RI

rationalization - again 10% off at M123, plus my Fender Super 112 went out on me again, and I'm going to sell it and probaby my Marshall Valvestate 8080 to help offset the cost

6) Digitech Reverb

rationalization - for a mere bill, I don't need one! But there was a $5 off deal on that too!
:D

hey GAS man...how is the SRV?...i played one in GC for a few minutes...all i can say is WOW!

BTW...this month i got....a pack of strings, a slide, and thats it....

not much this april....

• Members
Originally posted by ArKay

Do you still like the Mosrite?
:)

Yeah, I do. It holds tune a whole lot better than I had expected and the P-90's are awesome. I've been playing it more than any other guitar since I got it. I was skeptical of Jay Turser guitars before I picked this up, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one now. In fact, I've been eyeballing some of their new Mosrite clones w/ the Burns trem. :o

• Members

Perhaps collecting and enjoying guitars is a valid use of money. I will stop down at my local guitar shop and check out what's in stock.

It may be time for me to spread my wings a bit. I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a few small purchases.

:D

Be careful, though. GAS is an insidious addiction for which the primary symptom (and only known cure) is poverty.....:thu:

The good news is that musical equipment holds its value better than motorcycles or race cars.... (Ask me how I know)

• Members
Originally posted by SentimentalMood

Yeah, I do. It holds tune a whole lot better than I had expected and the P-90's are awesome. I've been playing it more than any other guitar since I got it. I was skeptical of Jay Turser guitars before I picked this up, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one now. In fact, I've been eyeballing some of their new Mosrite clones w/ the Burns trem.
:o

Thanks, that's good to hear :thu:

It seems that the JT's and Eastwood's are coming from the same factory, so it might be worth checking those out as well (in case you missed those). The Sidejack pretty much looks like your Mosrite, can you verify that?

They seem a little bit more expensive, but they got free worldwide shipping on most stuff at least, so that's a plus for me :)

http://www.myrareguitars.com/Eastwood.html

• Members

I feel sorry for you people. I put my money in the bank every month, in case I have a life emergency. I have a Squier I bought used a few years ago, and a 15 watt SS practice amp.

Please don't project your needs onto us. Your needs and our needs may not match - ever thought of that, you sanctimonious prick? Not to mention that we didn't say that we didn't put money in the bank too.

It's not about how much you spend. It's about how much you spend compared to how much you make and how much you need outside of your hobby to live well and comfortably and provide for your family. Sorry you have a little income and jealousy in your heart. Some of us went to school and have a decent job to fund these expenses and still face our financial responsibilities.

I feel sorry for you... nah, that's a lie. I don't give a rat's ass about you.

• Members
Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

Please don't project your needs onto us. Your needs and our needs may not match - ever thought of that, you sanctimonious prick? Not to mention that we didn't say that we didn't put money in the bank too.

Ever thought about reading the thread before going off? The dude already said he was sorry, and that he is getting ready for a little gas himself :D

Archived