Post your Confessionals HERE! I succumbed to GAS this month by buying-

GAS Man

• Members

I feel sorry for you people. I put my money in the bank every month, in case I have a life emergency. I have a Squier I bought used a few years ago, and a 15 watt SS practice amp. They are entirely adequate for my needs.

Maybe some day, many years from now, I might invest in one of the less expensive Agiles, and maybe a 30 watt Crate amp.

Or maybe I'll just purchase a LES PAUL STANDARD, or an Ameerican Deluxe TELECASTER, and a MARTIN HD28, and a J45 Gibson rosewood custom, and a GIBSON BLUESHAWK and *&@$% @#(& GSPSHKKKK. AHHHHKGH.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Originally posted by frozenbluth

The amount of gear some of you buy is revolting and thoroughly unnecessary.

Obviously I have no right to tell anyone how to spend their money, but do people ever considered doing something worthwhile with their funds, such as donating to a charity -- rather than buy their twelfth electric guitar using the rationale that it was 10% off and is a different color than anything in their collection?

Yuck.

Twelfth? I'm currently somewhere around 40. :^D

• Members

Originally posted by guitarNed

I feel sorry for you people. I put my money in the bank every month, in case I have a life emergency.

So do I - about 18% of my gross gets invested. Anyone with half a brain knows that you have to do your saving and investing first, then spend what's left, so what's your point?

I have a Squier I bought used a few years ago, and a 15 watt SS practice amp. They are entirely adequate for my needs.

Maybe so, but they wouldn't be nearly adequate for my needs, or anyone else who actually plays gigs. For me, a 100W tube head with a 4x12 is a pretty basic setup, and it would be considered the 'standard' for rock club gigs - hardly excessive or extravagant. I also have a backup head (things do break during shows), and a couple of smaller cabinets for smaller jobs and home practice.

Ditto with guitars. If you actually perform, you find quickly that you need more than one guitar if you do anything with different tunings. Also, a Strat and a Les Paul sound very different; if you're doing a variety of music, you need different sounds. Plus there's the whole trem/no-trem thing; if you play a trem guitar, you cannot expect to be able to replace a broken string in the middle of a set in front of an audience.

My gear gets deducted against my musical income - it's a legitimate business expense (has been for well over a decade, and the IRS doesn't argue it with me anymore).

Please don't assume that YOUR definition of what is reasonable and necessary is going to be appropriate for everyone else.

• Members

Totally Agree Steinberger - No way in hell a single squier and a 15w SS would do it for me. I gig, I'm in school for music, and its what I plan on doing with a good chunk of my life. I figure I'm in school right now, I'm getting a free education due to tuition exchange, and I'm living rent free. My only cost is car payments and insurance. I think that spending my money on things that will feed me in the long run is a good thing. And its nice to be able to play a variation of guitars for when I want different sounds.

On the Gas list for the future:

Good overdrive pedal (thinking the OCD)

Telecaster

LP (I haven't liked any gibbys so far but I'll keep looking)

and a 4X12 to replace my broken Peaveys from the mid to early 80's

• Members

I feel sorry for you people. I put my money in the bank every month, in case I have a life emergency. I have a Squier I bought used a few years ago, and a 15 watt SS practice amp. They are entirely adequate for my needs.

Maybe some day, many years from now, I might invest in one of the less expensive Agiles, and maybe a 30 watt Crate amp.

Or maybe I'll just purchase a LES PAUL STANDARD, or an Ameerican Deluxe TELECASTER, and a MARTIN HD28, and a J45 Gibson rosewood custom, and a GIBSON BLUESHAWK and *&@$% @#(& GSPSHKKKK. AHHHHKGH.

That's cool. There's no need to pour cold water on everyone else, however.

To some of us, collecting gear is a hobby and just as important (or in many cases perhaps more important than the actual playing of guitar -- hate to admit it, but I'm sure it's true for some of us). Some of us actually appreciate quality craftsmanship and the products produced by it.

There is nothing wrong with spending money on a hobby. Millions of people spend insane amounts of money on greens fees for golf each week, and a thousand or two on clubs, hundreds on the best name brand balls each season, and even go on very expensive golf trips. Yeah, they're not pros either. They're amateurs and a lot of them suck at golf. You know why they do it? Because it's fun for them. Do you chastise them for it?

Ever been to a Major League Baseball or NFL game and drop a couple of hundred bucks on it? Do you collect DVDs like I do? Have any hobbies at all?

Ever taken your wife or girlfriend out to dinner at a swanky restaurant and dropped a bill or two on it?

Couldn't you have fed little Abdul in Ghana for a year on that? Feel guilty?

Get over yourself, man, and chill. This is a forum for discussing this kind of stuff, and if it induces pity in you, then you are wasting your time reading and posting in it.

Pick up your guitar and play and have fun, rather than taking pot shots at others here.

bb

• Members

not been allowed to feed my habit for a few months as I have been saving for a holiday (and whipped!!). Managed to save extra spending money the missus is unaware of. Any good guitar shops / divorce lawyers in Orlando. Hehe

• Members

Bad month for DD...

Bought...

Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH (from Batotman)

Squier Pro Tone Stratocaster

GFS Nashville Filtertron pups

Sold...

Agile AL3000M

Kramer Aerostar ZM30H

...had to pay for the 'bought' stuff. I still may be selling my Fender Champ amp, but it sounds soooo nice.....hard to bring myself to do that. I almost pulled the trigger on a Jazzmaster this weekend, but I'd have to sell 2 guitars and the Champ to almost cover the costs...I'll wait on that one....

• Members

Originally posted by bspears

Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop '58 yesterday at GC

Congrats! That's taking a plunge. You're number 2 on this thread I believe that picked up a '58 LP.

That 60 Anniversary Strat pic'd above sure looks sweet too. Nice grain figuring.

:thu:

GAS'rs - Keeping the American (and offshore) Factory Line Workers hummin! :D

• Members

It's been said already, but for those of us that gig a lot (or even a little), we need to spend the cash. My setups are far from esoteric, and I've still managed to spend some fairly serious cash. However, the prospect of earning money doing what I love, and entertaining people in the process, makes it worth it for me.

Oh, and I've just bought a Guyatone TZ2 on eBay :D

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

A '99 Gibson SG Special-$495 with hard case

A white pickguard for the SG- $26

A Hughes & Kettner Red Box DI- $22 on ebay

2 Nady wireless units on ebay for $75

A guitar stand and some cables for $35

Completing your GAS- Priceless

There are things the money can't buy. For Everything else, there's mastercard.

:p

Archived