What gear do you most regret purchasing?

• Members

My only real dud so far was a pair of speaker stands. They were like $250, and they sucks like a black hole. Cheap, flimsy particle board junk that wobbled around even when loaded with sand. I threw them away in the end. I tried to mount some spikes on the bottoms to make them more stable, and the drill went through the bottom plate like hot butter without me even pushing it hardly. I probably could have used my finger. In the end I got a good desk with near field platforms on it and that worked out a lot better.

I did buy things that I knew weren't top notch, but I had to in order to get started, and then replaced them later as the opportunity arose.

• Members

It was that giant paper mache Stonehenge we had made for our first tour.

Classic...

mine was a korg pxr-4 digital 4 track. I bought it and didnt realize all exporting was done in mp2 format... its not so much a problem now, but I couldnt import anything I did on that piece of {censored}. Very shortly after I bought it sweetwater stopped carrying it. Grr...:mad:

• Members

A Charvel acoustic/electric that had the fretboard partly go over the soundhole - it was just a bad playing, bad sounding guitar. What you get ordering from a catalog without trying it first. I was young.

Again, in my youth, a les paul copy I bought used that had no strings (so i couldnt play it) but it looked good so it must sound good. Wrong! I think the reason it had no strings was it was the only way it would stay in tune.

More recently, a Lexicon MP50(?) reverb - i couldn't get the right sound out of it and i was trying to use the SPDIF port on my Digi001 with it. That port was buggy and corrupted my PT so I had to uninstall/reinstall. Also, since then, I've gotten Waves RVerb and TruVerb which I liked better so the Lexicon is now just a rack spacer. At least it's keeping dust out. :p

• Members

An acquaintance of mine sold me a used Roland TR-707 that was broken. I told him and he apologized and offered to take it back and fix it. I gave it back to him and he sold it to someone else, keeping my money. I later found out that he'd originally stole it from his roomate.

• Members

Again, in my youth, a les paul copy I bought used that had no strings (so i couldnt play it) but it looked good so it must sound good. Wrong! I think the reason it had no strings was it was the only way it would stay in tune.

You should have tried putting strings on it. That always makes my guitars sound better.:p

• Members

DAT recorder-nothing wrong with it, but soon after I bought the DAT recorder I got an affordable CD recorder and also the ability to record to my computer. I have barely used it, although I have a few DATs I should transfer.

Alesis Quadrverb GT-I don't regret buying it since it was cheap (and I got much of the cost back when I sold it), I regret that I used it for far too long, to the detriment of my guitar tone.

• Members

Last year I bought a full ROLAND digital drumkit, pads, sticks, chair, footpedal, the lot.

It was a great piece of equipment... I thought I'd be a shoo-in to learn it... Turns out, I am so-o-o not a drummer. I have excellent rhythm, but not distributed to my four limbs.

Also you guys may remember the TANNOY nearfields I bought last year which spewed white smoke on hookup. The company graciously replaced them pronto, which was cool.

Aeons ago in the 70's, when I was a teen, I bought a pedal phase shifter for my Fender-Rhodes. Those little units, some of you will recall, imparted vast amounts of hissy noise to their signal, almost obviating the phase-shift sound itself. I was a kid and too naive to send it back.

• Members

I got burned by the Core2 also. Back then I contacted Harmon (Lexicon's mother-ship) and offered to port the drivers to Windows XP, but they said no. Lexicon lost my business (and I've bought a LOT of stuff) because I did not want to be obsoleted again.

• Members

I bought a new Emulator II back in 1984 for about $7,000, it was too much money for what it did. I wish I had used the money to invest in stocks or real estate instead.

Ed, that year, the EMU sound was white-white-white hot!! I was a big ART OF NOISE and DEPECHE and Kate Bush fan, and I think I would've given my left nut and a 50c piece for one at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My best "wost" buy:

OH sweet, a 10 pack of 10 foot "studio quality" XLR cables for only 40 bucks! SWEET!

I wanted to braid knot them all together and hang the guy who called them "Studio Quality." Other than that, I am the guy who finds exactly what I want, and then spends 2 weeks researching and trying to talk myself out of it. Once I realize that I can't talk myself out of it or find something better in my price range, I buy it. This method works pretty well. There's been things that I've bought and then outgrew over the years but I count that as I good thing...it means you are getting better. And I take care of my gear so I get a fair turn around in resale.

• Members

An RC50 looper by Boss. Full of useless features but the first loop start had a 500ms latency :eek:

Unbelievable how did they put out such a thing, I don't know if they fixed it now but I brought it back after a week. There was no return policy so I lost a bit of money :mad:

Still feel stupid about that.

• Members
My biggest disappointment was buying a Lexicon Core 2 audio interface back in 2000. It was my first interface for my first DAW and it just plain sucked.

I talked my brother out of buying one of those only to watch him buy into a problem equally as bad instead, the Alesis Edit/Connect card. Me? Hard to say because I still have some reminders laying around collecting dust(you name it), but I did get use out of everything when I bought them at the time, even an old Behringer board(circa 98-99) that still works(must a record of some kind :D).

Archived