Adding New Mics: Value For Money

• Members

Well, it is time to add a few pieces to my mic collection and, like everyone else, I would like to maximize my value for money spent. Basically, I am looking to purchse a mic for kick/bass and a new set of overheads which will be used predominantly for rock to metal tracking.

My two choices for kick/bass are the AKG D112 or an ATM25. I have also heard great things about the Audix D6. Standard kick sound for rock and metal styles are key. The ability to handle distorted bass (and possibly guitar) tones would also be great. I would like to keep this mic around $150. Any oppinions and/or suggestions?

Concerning overheads, perhaps I should first specify that I am a fan of, and frequently use, the 'Glyn Johns' or 'Recorderman' method of tracking overheads. I enjoy an open, wide and deep sounding overhead that is smooth and does not leave cymbals sounding harsh. I much prefer using as little EQ as possible on the kit. I love open and full sounding yet punchy drums and prefer the space and sound of the room (large or small). I already own a set of Samson CO2 small condensers which, for the cost, have proven to be a decent little mic in that application. That said, I would like to try something different and go with either a set of large diaphragm condensers or possibly a pair of ribbons. A versatile mic that could be used for guitars, vocals, etc would be ideal. I woud like to keep the pair around $300.

There are a staggering amount of choices for overheads. So far, I have been looking at models from Audio Technica, Oktava, and even Samson. I really would appreciate some advice for this selection. Thnaks.

I'm not a big fan of the AKG D112. Either of the other two selections you mentioned would be better choices IMO.

As far as overheads in the under $300 class, it may be difficult to go LD at that price point. AT2020, Rode NT1a or Studio Projects B1 would all fall in that price range, but I'm not sure how much depth and warmth and lack of harshness you'd get from any of them in that application - for what you described, a pair of Beyer M160's would probably be ideal, but would cost 3X more than your stated budget.

If you could get a decent set of RUSSIAN Oktava MC012's at $300 or less, that might be the best option for the OH's.

• Members

I'm not too keen on those either; I use a Shure Beta 52. Some other really good bass drum mics are an AT Pro 25 ( I was really surprised) and Peavey made a 501 large diaphram condenser (that works great on vocals and acoustics). Audix D4 was not too swift for me though, but that has sense fallen out of favor for the D6. All the D series mics are really good and I use them all. Behringer B5 are good for overheads, hats, acoustic (and you can change the pattern with the adapters). The Behringer B1 sounded great. For the budget those are the mics I'd go with. The Oktavas are hard to come by now... the price point is all over the place, but they are a mainstay for small studios. So are SM 81's, but that's not in your budget.

• Members

going for the Bonham sound, you need a good solid drummer on a well tuned, wide open kit, in a great room. And 3 LCD's (again, you can get plenty of chinese ones that sound good, Craig has written a bunch of mods for these mics too). Remember mic placement is everything...put the mic where it sounds good to your ears. Everyone forgets how much distant micing adds to the sound. Start with your over heads to get your main drum sound. And don't forget surface mics, radio shack used to have some that added a lot sound to the mix. Crown still makes some. Incidentally, I have used my 311 as a hat mic when doing live sound, worked great.

• Moderators

Though I'm not a fan of the D6's lack of versatility, it would be my first choice for a modern kick sound. Prepackaged ScooP.

The Octava's, as Phil commented" are a great OH mic for the money. I love mine. Detailed but not harsh. But as stated above, it's hard to find a pair anymore for a good price. Worth checking though. Just make sure you verify they are the Russians.

A D6, a 57, and a pair of 012's would be a great rock setup.

• Members

Thanks for the opinions. Forgive my ignorance John, but which Craig are you referring to? If the mods are not overly complex that would definitely be an option.

I would definitely invest in some Oktavas but they are very difficult to find used. I might have to bite the bullet and purchase some from Oktava Mod.

My budget restrictions are due to my burning desire to purchase a solid mic pre. Both the MP-2NV and the Protico are looking like mighty fine contenders.

• Members

Thanks for the opinions. Forgive my ignorance John, but which Craig are you referring to? If the mods are not overly complex that would definitely be an option.

I would definitely invest in some Oktavas but they are very difficult to find used. I might have to bite the bullet and purchase some from Oktava Mod.

My budget restrictions are due to my burning desire to purchase a solid mic pre. Both the MP-2NV and the Protico are looking like mighty fine contenders.

Craig Anderton.

You could consider getting a couple of cheap ribbons for a pair of overheads.

This is slightly beyond your budget, but if you can nab a pair of Audio-Technica 4041s used, you can come in around $400 for the pair.

Marshall apparently makes really good cheap mics. There's some others too, but I can't really think of them right now. I always hear good things about the Oktavas but have never used them.

The MP-2NV or the Portico are excellent mic preamps. I have the Portico and think it's really useful, and part of the reason besides the excellent sound is the ability to engage/disengage the Silk Button, which adds a great deal of girth to the sound when engaged. Two sounds in one. Not bad.

• Moderators

You could consider getting a couple of cheap ribbons for a pair of overheads.

I got a pair of Fathead Ribbons that are getting a lot of use. I like my Octavas so much I haven't had the chance to put the Fatheads in the OH spot but they sure sound great as drum room mics. I bet they kill up top.

Cheap.

• Members

Yup, that's exactly what I was thinking about...the Heil P30s might be a good cheap option too. Those aren't ribbons, but they allegedly have ribbon-like response. I still haven't used these for overheads, but they sound really good on guitar cabinets.

• Members

That said, I would like to try something different and go with either a set of large diaphragm condensers or possibly a pair of ribbons. A versatile mic that could be used for guitars, vocals, etc would be ideal. I woud like to keep the pair around $300.

I would definitely go for a pair of ribbons. However, I have never owned a ribbon mic so i would definitely need a few suggestions. Fatheads seem popular but I am not sure if they would be ideal for overheads.

• Members

I've heard from a few people, including a very recent post by Lee Knight, that they make good overheads. And ribbons in general can make good overheads (obviously depending on what tastes you have and music you are creating). One could also look into Heil P30s for overheads.

• Members

I recently tried out two of my CAD M177's as overheads and was very impressed.

They pretty much sound like whatever I put in front of them.

I have used two MC012 Octavia's, two SM 81's and even a couple of Rode NT1A's for overheads and room mics..but the CAD's sound as good or better than any of them.

• Moderators

I recently tried out two of my CAD M177's as overheads and was very impressed.

They pretty much sound like whatever I put in front of them.

I have used two MC012 Octavia's, two SM 81's and even a couple of Rode NT1A's for overheads and room mics..but the CAD's sound as good or better than any of them.

If the CADs are anything like AKG 414s, which I understand they are, this is a great idea on a budget. The CADs would then serve as a neutral utility pair for a lot of sources.

• Members

I got a pair of Fathead Ribbons that are getting a
lot
of use. I like my Octavas so much I haven't had the chance to put the Fatheads in the OH spot but they sure sound great as drum room mics. I bet they kill up top.

Cheap.

I'm looking at the Fatheads. :idea:

My mic quiver is at the point where an upgrade is an expensive proposal with the posibility of not seeing much improvement. However I have no ribbon mics. Somebody brought over an Oktava ribbon mic and it was noisy. That put me off of the thought of budget ribbon mics. These are the first thing to interest me in quite some time.

• Members

With the Lundahls! Fancy.
:)

:D

This will give me five ribbon mics. The two Fatheads, one Shinybox 86MX, one Shinybox 86MXC with the Cinemag transformer, and one BLUE Woodpecker active ribbon. I like ribbon mics. :)

• Members

Oktavamod Mics are probably the best value for the money I've ever heard. My modded MC012's are very special, and my modded 319 is an incredible vocal mic on anyone you put it in front of.

Very close in value is a absolutely stock CAD M179. Maybe thats even a better value, though it doesn't have the reach or the personality of the oktava's. It sounds EXACTLY like whatever's in front of it. Its pretty much a poor man's 414. I do most of my acoustic guitars with one. but thats also because my MC012's have been borrowed by the other guitar player in my band for several months for his acoustic guitars and drum overheads for our record.

Archived