Waves L2 to the L3

• Members

I used to be all about the waves L2. Its good for having a compressor on to wow clients in the recording stage to make it shine.

Today... I moved to the L3 ultramaxmizer SO MUCH BETTER. It has way less distortion at the top of the mix when you squish it to bring the mix up.

that is all.

• Members

I been using the L2 in my mastering chain for several years now. From what I've experienced, if the completed wave file is at the proper db level of say -12 average DC or -16 RMS, the limiter will do a great brickwall job with no percievable distortion. If the wave file is lower and you need to kick the threshold above 10 it tends to introduce undesireable distortion with the release set in the auto mode.

• Members

I believe the massey is a RTAS plugin. I dont have Pro Tools so I wouldnt be able to try it out. From what some of the pro guys around here say it does a great job.

I did buy a set of plugins from this site and it includes some nice limiters.

http://signaltonoize.com/

They can be downloaded to try out. I made a donation and get the entire set. I'm more than pleased with what they can do. You do need to be carefull with the adjustments though, You can drive signals into saturation easily if you arent careful adjusting them. Ive used the filters, Comps and limiters, and Optical comps etc in various applications and the sound quality is better than most I've tried. You can get a nice plush sound with them. I often use some for vocal plugins to get a bit more zing happening. The peak Filters are fairly mild and seem to be good for scooping or adding a single fq. I used the GEQ the other day on one of my vocal tracks to remove some brightness and hit the spot pretty good, very natureal sounding.

• Members

there are demo versions available but you have to have a Waves account and an iLok. Some of it seems a bit strange to me though.

from their website: www.waves.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

You can run each V6 demo for up to 30 days and/or 30 instantiations per plug-in, whichever comes first. All Waves demos require iLok authorization. You can purchase an iLok from your local dealer or through www.iLok.com.

You cannot demo a V6 plug-in on a computer which has previously run a V6 demo or permanently licensed version of that specific plug-in.

Please note: The V6 installer will uninstall ALL previous Waves versions.

If you need to reinstall previous Waves versions after demoing V6, visit the Download page.

To Demo V6:

Access your Waves account.

On the top menu, click Demo Products.

Find the product you want to demo and click Get Demo.

Enter your iLok.com account name, then click Submit.

The license is now being delivered to your iLok.com account.

(This may take a few minutes. Thanks for your patience.)

---------------------------------------------------------

• Members

I got an older version of waves 4.0 when I bought my original sound card plus steinberg and a bunch of other packages. It was before they had that current security system seems to prevent pirating but also turned alot of studios off to using it. Last I read the software is good for a year and then you need to renew the licence so you're basically leasing the use of it vs actually purchasing it, plus with its hefty price for the packages the option of using other packages have grown.

• Members

I think when I upgrade some of my plugs I'll probibly go for the UAD 1. I may get Voxengo Elephant in the mean time because the cost is cheap and alot of people recomend them. I do have many other options though like the limiter presets in T Tracks works quite well. I used to use that program alot but the EQ was a bit limited. I believe they have a new version out thats greatly expanded and rated high for mastering. Price isnt bad either for what you get.

• Members

I really ought to give the L2 and L3 a try. The "Trackslammer" preset on the L1 has been a staple for a few things for me... namely broadcast V/O stuff, as well as hardcore group vocals. Sometimes it works well on drum room mics too. What would you guys say is the biggest difference between the L1 and 2?

• Members

I have L1 and L2. I dont remember how much of a difference there is between the two sound wise. I'm sure either can be tweaked in to sound the same. The gui is sleeker on the L2 and it does have dithering for 16/24 bit depths which was part of the upgrade I believe. Havent heard much differences using it though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Dynamics... this thread is missing them ;):cry:

I have both the L2 and the L3 - frankly this may sound harsh, BUT: if you're using either of them to the point of introducing distortion, you need to go back to your mix and fix the gain structure. The L3 may indeed work better under "extreme conditions", but no one should ever be in a position to find this out!

• Moderators

Dynamics... this thread is missing them
;):cry:

I have both the L2 and the L3 - frankly this may sound harsh, BUT: if you're using either of them to the point of introducing distortion, you need to go back to your mix and fix the gain structure. The L3 may indeed work better under "extreme conditions", but
no one should ever be in a position to find this out!

I don't know if "you need to go back to your mix and fix the gain structure" is it exactly but I think I get your drift. I do this. If I'm finding that I'll have to be slamming my track to get it to competitive levels, I'll search out within the mix, what exactly is peaking. The snare usually. Then, I'll do a little transient taming within the mix so I don't have to slam the whole mix later...

• Members

I still use the Timeworks Mastering Compressor for the final stage of the 2-mix- to my ears it just sounds better. I know it's a clipper, and I usually don't push it too hard, but when it's set right it sounds really good.

• Members

..... Last I read the software is good for a year and then you need to renew the licence so you're basically leasing the use of it vs actually purchasing it, plus with its hefty price for the packages the option of using other packages have grown.

As a Waves owner, that is close but not quite right. It's the Waves update policy you are talking about. It keeps you eligible for free updates for a year. The price depends on how many/which plugs you have. You do not necessarily have to keep your WUP up to date. You just won't be eligible for any new plugs they may add to the bundle if it's out of date. Or if you need to upgrade for compatibility reasons you'll have to renew it if it has expired. They have also capped the price at I believe $200. When they first initiated the policy there wasn't a cap and it increased for every year you were not covered. So if you were a couple of years behind on a big bundle it could get expensive. And just for the record I'm not a fan of the WUP just tryin to explain how it works.

Archived