Moving on from Garageband. What software to choose?

• Members

Right, so Garageband is beginning to severely limit my creativity in as much as tempo changes and time signature changes aren't quite possible.

What software would you guys recommend for recording as a step up from Garageband without being ridiculously hard to record with.

I'm on a Mac Book Pro and I record with a Line 6 Pod XT Live and drum loops.

• Members

Garageband is kinda like Diet Logic. So my first pick would be Logic. The cool thing is that you can open up ALL of your GarageBand sessions IN Logic and work from there.

To me, that's a HUGE selling point, so you don't have to re-record stuff you've already recorded.

I have to agree with the previous points. Logic is the (sorry) "logical" upgrade from Garageband since you can easily load GB sessions directly into Logic and continue working on them there. Of course, you can export stuff from Garageband and use it in any other program you'd like, but it's not nearly as transparent or easy, and you'll loose some flexibility if you decide to go that route.

The user interface and working methodologies are similar between Garageband and Logic too, so the learning curve will be less than if you switched to some other application.

There are two versions of Logic - Logic Studio ($499) and Logic Express ($199). Now that you have a basic understanding about what you're doing and how you like to work, as well as what features are important to you, I'd recommend you have a look at both of those links, as well as your budget, and decide from there which one best meets your requirements.

Please let us know what you decide on, and how it ends up working out for you. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I, too, am feeling the limitations of Garage Band, so I took at look at the Logic links Phil posted. Wow! When I first decided to try recording music myself, I looked at the Logic software offered at Apple Stores, but it was so complex it nearly scared me away from recording, period. Now, after some months on Garage Band, I can already understand most of that Logic explanation, and it suuuure looks good. While $500 is some money, it's truly mind-boggling what it gets you.

• Members

I, too, am feeling the limitations of Garage Band, so I took at look at the Logic links Phil posted. Wow! When I first decided to try recording music myself, I looked at the Logic software offered at Apple Stores, but it was so complex it nearly scared me away from recording, period. Now, after some months on Garage Band, I can already understand most of that Logic explanation, and it suuuure looks good. While $500 is some money, it's truly mind-boggling what it gets you.

You can get Logic Express for $200.

Logic is actually has a pretty easy learning curve. If you have somewhat of an idea of what you're doing, you can usually jump right into it. I learned by just recording little bits and pieces of myself at night when I was bored. Hands on is the best way to go.

• Members

I think you've all lost your collective f*****g minds. All you pinheads suggesting Logic--and the 'Audacity' of a couple of posters to even suggest Logic--just boggles my mind.

I can't believe I'm the only one to suggest Logic, which--imho--is the obvious choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If I remember correctly, you can upgrade from Logic Express to Logic Studio for the same price as buying Logic outright.....This is what I did a couple years ago and quickly realized Logic Studio was the way to go, with no extra money out of my pocket. That said, if LE suits you, you can save yourself some cash.

So yes, against all conventional wisdom I'm going to recommend Logic (cringe).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived