Pro Tools 10 and plugins

• Members

I'm talking RTAS here since obviously I wouldn't have any AAX plugins before PT10.

I have a few questions about upgrading from PT9 to 10, all having to do with plugin compatibility. I was wondering if any of you peeps knew if any of these plugins work in PT 10. They all work in PT 9.

- MDW: Massenberg Design Works Hi-Res Parametric EQ 3.0 RTAS Mac v3.0.1 for Pro Tools 7.3.1-9.0 (may work, but not sure)

- Waves: I have Renaissance Maxx Bundle V6 and Vocal Rider V7. Gus Lozada mentioned that his Waves plugins worked with PT 10 without him having to upgrade. What say you?

- Massey: Sounds like these work with PT 10, but just wanted to see if anybody had any experience with this. I have the L2007 limiter and the TapeHead Saturation plugin. I understand that the Massey DTS has some issues with PT 10, so it sounds like the expectation is that Massey plugins work with PT 10 still.

These next to utilize a VST-to-RTAS wrapper, so this working is primarily contingent on whether the wrapper works. Nonetheless, do any of you know if these two work?

- Stillwell Vibe EQ: I don't even know what version I have. Can't really tell.

- Expert Sleepers Meringue: Also can't tell what version I have.

I bought both of these a couple of years ago, I believe.

• Members

Thanks! I forgot to mention that on the Waves website, it mentions that V8 does work with PT 10. V6 and V7? The website doesn't say that, but I've heard from two people now that they didn't have to upgrade to V8 for them to work on PT 10.

I don't know whether Waves ver 6 or 7 will work with PT10, or with the current versions of Mac or PC operating systems. If you have WUP you can e-mail Waves and ask. They are quite good at responding.

I have not upgraded to 10 yet, so I can't answer specific compatibility questions... I can say that I have heard that PT10 will be the last version that will support HD / HD Accel hardware, as well as RTAS and TDM plugins.

Unless someone comes up with a wrapper, this is really going to suck. :(

• Members

So far my Waves Platinum V7 bundle is playing nice with PT10. I don't have any of the other plug-ins though and I've had PT10 for just a day or two. So I can't say for sure, but I'm betting if they were good in PT9 they'll be good in PT10. Don't think they tweaked much in the RTAS department.

And yeah it sucks about TDM going away, along with TDM support. However some of these 3rd party DSP options are looking pretty good. I'm loving the DSP in my ULN2 and that new UA Apollo looks freakin amazing!!! So aside from the I/O limitations, "PT Native" is looking pretty good these days. Maybe PT11 will give those of us without the CPTK or an HD license more I/O and the RAM cache feature. I really don't even need more I/O but I'm sure some people do. Anyways at that point Pro Tools would really do all I need it to for a long time.

• Members

I have not upgraded to 10 yet, so I can't answer specific compatibility questions... I can say that I have heard that PT10 will be the last version that will support HD / HD Accel hardware, as well as RTAS and TDM plugins.

i've heard that too. And this is Hitler's reaction to it all:

[video=youtube;D12HCRQRGfY]

Unless someone comes up with a wrapper, this is
really
going to suck.
:(

Yup.

• Moderators

10 is the last release to support RTAS??????? WTF? I so hate AVID bashing but... WTF?!?!?! I suppose the plugin manufacturers will have ported all their plugs to the new architecture and will have offered an upgrade path. Some reasonable and some reaming. Oh joy.

Shouldn't I be used to this by now?

10 is the last release to support RTAS??????? WTF? I so hate AVID bashing but... WTF?!?!?! I suppose the plugin manufacturers will have ported all their plugs to the new architecture and will have offered an upgrade path. Some reasonable and some reaming. Oh joy.

Shouldn't I be used to this by now?

~ 2:57 in the video Ken posted. Oh joy indeed. ;)

I wonder if 10 will have a few different versions like 6.x did, or a much shorter lifecycle like 8.x.. I also wonder if there will be any possible way of wrapping those old RTAS and TDM plugins... or even running VSTs in PT11. I suspect not, but I hope I'm wrong and someone does it. Heck, it would be kind of nice if Avid did it, but I really don't expect that to happen.

Looks like I might get stuck at PT10 for a while... right now, there's no way I can afford to update a ton of plugins all at once, much less the hardware. :(

• Members

I have some good news for those interested in installing Pro Tools 10. I created a dual-boot system on the primary HD so I can continue running PT9, with both sides running OS10.6.8. I installed PT10 on the other "side":

1. PT PLAYS ALL PLUGINS WITHOUT A HITCH! Waves Rennaissance Bundle V6 and Vocal Rider V7, Stillwell Vibe EQ (a VST plugin), MDW, Massey, Izotope RX2, Expert Sleeper Meringue (another VST plugin)....it all works!!!! I did not have to do anything differently. I then installed PT10.0.1 without a problem either. These are enormous downloads, by the way.

2. AAX PLUGINS: I also saw this on the DUC forum: "AAX will also be backwards compatible. That is to say, if you have an EQ that once was RTAS, but you now have an AAX of the same plugin, it is intended to recall the same session settings it had when it was RTAS." I hope that's true.

Also, the Channel Strip and Mod Delay III work really well and are useful.

3. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RELINQUISH YOUR PT9 LICENSE: "Although your new Pro Tools 10 license will replace your Pro Tools 9 license, it will allow you to run either version," according to the Sweetwater site, and sure enough, I have no problem opening PT9 still.

4. It takes a long time, at least on my computer (Mac Pro 1,1 with 4G RAM, which is probably about five years old), to open an older session and have it recognize WAV files, but it appears to do so flawlessly if slowly. I opened one of my songs that I was working on in PT9, and it took a while to process the files, after which all seemed to be good.

• Members

~ 2:57 in the video Ken posted. Oh joy indeed.
;)

Yeaaaah. Yippee.

I wonder if 10 will have a few different versions like 6.x did, or a much shorter lifecycle like 8.x..

That's what I'm wondering too. Some people at NAMM felt it'd be about a year, much like PT9. I suppose it'll take however long it takes for the people at Avid to develop their true 64-bit system.

I also wonder if there will be any possible way of wrapping those old RTAS and TDM plugins... or even running VSTs in PT11. I suspect not, but I hope I'm wrong and someone does it. Heck, it would be kind of nice if Avid did it, but I
really
don't expect that to happen.

No, I suppose not, but it'd be great. FXPansion?

Looks like I might get stuck at PT10 for a while... right now, there's no way I can afford to update a ton of plugins all at once, much less the hardware.
:(

You have a LOT of plugins, just a silly amount. I have probably about 5 companies, and it'd still be a kind of expensive. Puhhhhh....

~~~~~~~

Thank you for everyone's input. I posted the previous post in case it helps anyone. We're not in this alone.

• Members

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RELINQUISH YOUR PT9 LICENSE
: "Although your new Pro Tools 10 license will replace your Pro Tools 9 license, it will allow you to run either version," according to the Sweetwater site, and sure enough, I have no problem opening PT9 still.

So you are still able to run pro tools 9 under the 10 licence?

• Members

Yeah. Avid is definitely doing some weird pricing things these days. Right now I'm keeping an eye on the 'bay for a CPTK license. No way am I paying $2k for it. It may not even work in PT11. ;) I did find a PT10 license for a good deal and sold my PT9 license for not much less. So I'm now on 10 and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I had thought about picking up an Eleven Rack and getting PT10 that way. Right now I'm just gonna hold off and see exactly how PT11 turns out. I'm just not going to give them anymore money until I see what they're trying to do. Right now it looks like they want to get people to pay them $299 a year just to stay "current". And that's just native. What they're doing to HD users is almost inhuman. I'm just not sure I want to play that game. I've already lost use of a perfectly good MPTK. Well I did recoup some of my money by selling it on eBay, but still it stinks.

• Members

My understanding is that a CPTK license works from at least PT8 through 10 without having to renew it.

I did upgrade, obviously, to PT10, but like everyone else, will wait and see what happens with PT11 and beyond. But I have used the same rig for years and years before (I used PT5.1 LE for almost nine years, and sold it to someone who is still using it!!), and will probably use PT10 for a few years if I continue to enjoy it and it remains stable.

And yes, my impression of what they are doing to HD users seems horrible. I hope all the HD users keep using their rigs for years and years, and then switch over to Reaper. :D

• Members

Yeah I know the CPTK works now. But will it work in pt11? No one knows. And I sure thought my MPTK would last longer. Heck I even bought the MPTK2 upgrade. I also don't like that avid dropped the DVTK>CPTK upgrade without warning. Just makes me leery of giving them my money. Seems the more you give the more they want. Like the HD 7.x > HD10 upgrade price. That's highway robbery. Anywho I already track in reaper sometimes. Mainly to get past the 32 channel I/O limitations. But I will set down and get more comfortable with it if things keep going like they appear to be.

• Members

I keep hearing how great Reaper is, although the bass player in my band, who is an engineer and quite good with computers, didn't seem to care for it. I've noticed that Reaper seems to have somewhat polarized responses in that people either don't care for it or think it's amazing. It certainly has some really great features, in either case.

• Members

From everything I've heard about Reaper, it seems to be a really great product, particularly at the price point. It's largely been a question of personal preferences and work flow, not the quality of Reaper. And yes, if Lee likes it, you figure it's gotta be good.

Also, I've heard nothing but great things about how well run the company is and how responsive they are when bugs do occur.

• Members

My only problem with reaper is that I've used PT for too long lol. So the interface is just kind of weird to me. It does seem to be quite reliable and very easy on the host. I've tried some of the pro tools skins for it, but nothing that feels right. In fact most of them make it worse because it looks a lot like pt. it just still doesn't act like it. I'm sure if I made myself use it for a bit I'd get a solid hang of it. For the price it's hard to beat.

Archived