Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

Hello there, this is my first time using this thread, im really proud of my latest song, because its the best production ive ever done plus im just diggin the song so,

Im looking for some advice on mixing and EQing, well just generaly anything you think that will help the mix or any mistakes you hear.

Thanks in advance and i hope you guys like it:p

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7876973

• Members

Hello there, this is my first time using this thread, im really proud of my latest song, because its the best production ive ever done plus im just diggin the song so,

Im looking for some advice on mixing and EQing, well just generaly anything you think that will help the mix or any mistakes you hear.

Great song. Plenty of masking. Overlap is one of the keys to euphonous recordings, but that's not to say you shouldn't ever carve if need be.

At first I thought it was the acoustics stepping on the bass, but no.. It's the low kick pattern along with some of the low mids from the acoustics. Even if you don't agree, the fact is that you have at least two instruments dipping into very similar ranges at the same time. Masking. I hear it a lot in the lows and I either start scooping or start cutting parts quite aggressively.

Don't be afraid of the mid or high mid range. The balance is cloudy overall.

• Members

Great song. Plenty of masking. Overlap is one of the keys to euphonous recordings, but that's not to say you shouldn't ever carve if need be.

At first I thought it was the acoustics stepping on the bass, but no.. It's the low kick pattern along with some of the low mids from the acoustics. Even if you don't agree, the fact is that you have at least two instruments dipping into very similar ranges at the same time. Masking. I hear it a lot in the lows and I either start scooping or start cutting parts quite aggressively.

Don't be afraid of the mid or high mid range. The balance is cloudy overall.

Ive got the acoustics high passed up to about 200hz, should i go higher?

The kick drum is cut up to about 35hz

The bass isnt cut at all, maybe i could cut that upto 100?

Thank for your feedback, much appreciated:wave:

Edit:

Just relistened, and giving it a cut at 125 helped a great deal in wmp , so ill go back in cubase and have a look around.

Adey

• Members

While some overlap of the kick and bass is not unusual, it's rare to hear them sharing too many of the same prime frequencies. Often one is above and the other is below.

And by cutting parts, I mean re-arrangement. That happens well before EQ. If the kick has to be less busy (common), whatever, but if they're reacting off each other then it's important that both be heard close to their original idea... In which case they need their own frequency ranges.

• Members

I just saw this thread. Kind of embarrassing posting this here since I hear so many great recordings.

Anyways, I'm trying to put some effort into increasing the production value of my songs now.

I posted this in songwriting section, but would love to get some feedback on the production here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=846258&songID=7869683

My gear is pretty limited. I've been recording for maybe 2 years or so. All my recording gets done on my Boss 8-track recorder.

Thanks

• Members

I just saw this thread. Kind of embarrassing posting this here since I hear so many great recordings.

Anyways, I'm trying to put some effort into increasing the production value of my songs now.

I posted this in songwriting section, but would love to get some feedback on the production here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=846258&songID=7869683

My gear is pretty limited. I've been recording for maybe 2 years or so. All my recording gets done on my Boss 8-track recorder.

Thanks

Timing, better samples would make a bigger difference than the mix itself. Once you get to this stage there's no way to cover up underlying faults.

They're offering up the Big Mono kit for free at Analogue Drums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i could swear i had heard something very similar. my first thought was the band "air", but then i remembered a part from a genesis song. i like this style.

edit: ah, it was genesis - supper's ready it reminded me of. a part of the song about 2minutes in

• Members

Hi guys

It would be great if you could give me some crit on the songs on my bands
myspace site.

They were recorded by ourselves at our schools studio.

Any advice on how to improve next time would be great
:)

You'd still get more mileage out of better mixes. It'd take a lot of work, but don't throw in the towel so quickly.

On the recording side:

- Capture more guitar parts. These are where you lose momentum the most. Notice how things suddenly empty out on the verses for Losing My Soul? How about some strums?

- Use a real piano and stereo miking.

- Play confidently. Dig into it.

- Get an overheads sound first before you put any more mics on the kit. That OH sound should be really good by itself. Then fill in spots (snare, kick, toms etc; the common things) to make them sound less distant and roomy.

- Consider doing a scratch vocal for the live, full-band takes and then overdubbing a lead vocal. This is better for flexibility overall, but it doesn't really work with all singers, so the choice is yours.

- Work on your timing. This will come with more extensive amounts of practice, but yes, it makes a pretty big difference in the recording - even if a mix engineer can time correct and piece together takes. It's not preferable for anyone to do that.

- Kill those bad notes. Nail down parts.

- This could be Myspace, but it all sounds a bit too dark. Don't be afraid of high end.

• Members

I haven't done anything serious with music since way back in high school. I've been getting back into guitar playing in the past year, but with my limited free time, it seems that I've been spending more time buying guitars than playing them. I'm in the Army, and since I'll be deploying again at the end of this month, I have two weeks of leave. I decided that instead of taking a vacation somewhere, I wanted to record an album. So, I broke out the MBox 2 that's been sitting around for the past year (hey, it works!) and I'm getting my hands dirty in my first project.

I'm not much of a lyricist, so I've been struggling to come up with original songs. In the meantime, I recorded a few covers that my girlfriend wanted me to do (Still have to give "Part Of The List" a good mix down). I'm not completely satisfied, but I don't know if anyone is ever truly satisfied with their work. (The high part on "Coffee Shop" was WAY out of my range)

I was hoping that some of you experienced people out there could take a listen, make some critiques, and maybe give me a few pointers on how I could make these songs and the upcoming ones sound a little better. I have them posted on my MySpace @ http://www.myspace.com/thesourgin

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I haven't done anything serious with music since way back in high school. I've been getting back into guitar playing in the past year, but with my limited free time, it seems that I've been spending more time buying guitars than playing them. I'm in the Army, and since I'll be deploying again at the end of this month, I have two weeks of leave. I decided that instead of taking a vacation somewhere, I wanted to record an album. So, I broke out the MBox 2 that's been sitting around for the past year (hey, it works!) and I'm getting my hands dirty in my first project.

I'm not much of a lyricist, so I've been struggling to come up with original songs. In the meantime, I recorded a few covers that my girlfriend wanted me to do (Still have to give "Part Of The List" a good mix down). I'm not completely satisfied, but I don't know if anyone is ever truly satisfied with their work. (The high part on "Coffee Shop" was WAY out of my range)

I was hoping that some of you experienced people out there could take a listen, make some critiques, and maybe give me a few pointers on how I could make these songs and the upcoming ones sound a little better. I have them posted on my MySpace @
http://www.myspace.com/thesourgin

Thanks in advance for your help!

Fairly solid tunes. The vocals don't have a lot of body, and their performance sounds like you striving for technical acuity rather than emotion. There is a third dimension to lyrics which has to be in the performance - most people can hear if you're faking it.

Landon Pigg was right up on the mic for Coffeeshop. Don't be afraid to get up close and personal and play with proximity effect.

• Members

Fairly solid tunes. The vocals don't have a lot of body, and their performance sounds like you striving for technical acuity rather than emotion. There is a third dimension to lyrics which has to be in the performance - most people can hear if you're faking it.

Landon Pigg was right up on the mic for Coffeeshop. Don't be afraid to get up close and personal and play with proximity effect.

Thanks for the tips! I haven't been able to figure out if my vocals just sound like that, or if I'm just not EQ'ing them right. I'll try to loosen up a little bit. I tend to worry a lot about pitch more when recording and it definitely effects the style.

BTW, your stuff sounds great! I don't listen to a lot of electronic music, but your mixes sound very alive.

• Members

Thanks for the tips! I haven't been able to figure out if my vocals just sound like that, or if I'm just not EQ'ing them right. I'll try to loosen up a little bit. I tend to worry a lot about pitch more when recording and it definitely effects the style.

BTW, your stuff sounds great! I don't listen to a lot of electronic music, but your mixes sound very alive.

Yeah, well..

LowFogMachine.jpg

plus-symbol.thumbnail.jpg

funhouse-mirrors.jpg

• Members

Hey guys

Here's a song I'm finishing up. I'm taking a break from it over the weekend and am putting it to rest Monday.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/1768534

That sounds really good -- the only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the acoustic guitar. I just don't think it fits in its current position in the stereo spread... I think I would like it better panned to the right side (which sounds pretty empty during the verses) or else doubled or something.

I'm hearing a lot on the left side during the verse and I think it's that acoustic guitar is overwhelming over there

Or maybe hit it with more reverb so it fades more into the background. it just jumps out too much (for my taste)

• Members

That sounds really good -- the only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the acoustic guitar. I just don't think it fits in its current position in the stereo spread... I think I would like it better panned to the right side (which sounds pretty empty during the verses) or else doubled or something.

I'm hearing a lot on the left side during the verse and I think it's that acoustic guitar is overwhelming over there

Or maybe hit it with more reverb so it fades more into the background. it just jumps out too much (for my taste)

Funny you mention that. I've been wrestling with the acoustic back and forth and I know what you mean about it sticking out too much on the verses. I'll check that out...Thanks

• Members

Funny you mention that. I've been wrestling with the acoustic back and forth and I know what you mean about it sticking out too much on the verses. I'll check that out...Thanks

It's a bit unusual because I think the ac. gtr cuts *too* well. I've never had that problem so I dunno what to tell you ---- maybe you could try to EQ it to reduce its clarity or something? I dunno

• Members

I'm definitely no expert, but maybe try duplicating the acoustic part panned to the right with a short delay (maybe 27 ms) with a 100% effect mix on the delay and add something (maybe some reverb or change up the EQ) to give it a different sound. Then adjust the levels to each side accordingly.

Overall, a very good mix. Kudos!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just finished this little acoustic number. This is probably the first song I've done focused on acoustic.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the mix. Seems I'm always struggling with the top end. I always find myself turning up the volume when compared to 'professional mixes'. Not to turn up the loudness, but to turn up the clarity if that makes sense. Just wondering if it needs more punch in the mids or highs. I may work on more clarity on the bass too.

Thanks

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7991398 Umm the title is a work in progress.

Recorded in Sonar 7.

Baden acoustic recorded with a Pearlman TM2 into a FMR RNP into a Lynx L22. Vocals done the same.

Bass, drums and keys are all from Reason.

Electric guitar: Egnater Rebel 20 into a Deadroom II with a Sennheiser 906

Thats about my entire studio in a nutshell.

Thanks

• Members

I think I agree with Scud. Sounds great. Love the clarity of everything. This is what I'm struggling with in my mixes. I also agree that I'd love to hear a stereo acoustic on the verse or hearing that acoustic off completely to one side kinda more out of the way. NO I'm not just copying his comment, I really thought the same thing! lol

I also want to hear more vocals on the chorus. The harmonies are cool on the verses and I want to hear even more of them on the chorus. I really feel that would make it sound 'complete' for me. But that's just me. :lol:

• Members

Just finished this little acoustic number. This is probably the first song I've done focused on acoustic.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the mix. Seems I'm always struggling with the top end. I always find myself turning up the volume when compared to 'professional mixes'. Not to turn up the loudness, but to turn up the clarity if that makes sense. Just wondering if it needs more punch in the mids or highs. I may work on more clarity on the bass too.

Thanks

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7991398
Umm the title is a work in progress.

Recorded in Sonar 7.

Baden acoustic recorded with a Pearlman TM2 into a FMR RNP into a Lynx L22. Vocals done the same.

Bass, drums and keys are all from Reason.

Electric guitar: Egnater Rebel 20 into a Deadroom II with a Sennheiser 906

Thats about my entire studio in a nutshell.

Thanks

Elec gtr sounds GREAT. I like acoustic too. Vocals sound GREAT.

I'm not hearing any problem on top or anything that you're mentioning.

What I'm having trouble with is the low end. Bass is getting lost a bit, maybe try giving it distortion so it punches through higher up.

Kick drum, in particular, really doesn't seem to fit. The kick has a dull "thwwwump" sound which is no good for this style IMO; try to find a sample that's less Bonham and more pop-ish and see if that works.

Drums are so hard to get right, and it seems like that's what's suffering here.

You did a great job recording the "real" instruments --- maybe what you need is someone to play real drums and bass, lol.

• Members

Elec gtr sounds GREAT. I like acoustic too. Vocals sound GREAT.

I'm not hearing any problem on top or anything that you're mentioning.

What I'm having trouble with is the low end. Bass is getting lost a bit, maybe try giving it distortion so it punches through higher up.

Kick drum, in particular, really doesn't seem to fit. The kick has a dull "thwwwump" sound which is no good for this style IMO; try to find a sample that's less Bonham and more pop-ish and see if that works.

Drums are so hard to get right, and it seems like that's what's suffering here.

You did a great job recording the "real" instruments --- maybe what you need is someone to play real drums and bass, lol.

Cool thanks Scud. Yea I guess thats a great thing that the live instruments sound better than the samples. ha. I'll work on the drums some. And yes I thought exactly what you said about the bass. Add more dirt to it to try to bring out the hights of it a little more and maybe even take some more of the lows off of it. I appreciate the feedback. Mixing has always bothered me and kinda been disheartening at times. I'm getting there though! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hey everybody,

quick rundown: two live recordings in my basement. minimal acoustic treatment to the room. drums, guitar, kurzweil pc3x keyboard. i had my cousin around playing the role of live sound engineer.

7 drum mics, mostly audix d series

1 condensor and 1 close sm57 on guitar amp (first 20 seconds on song two you can hear the panning of the guitar and how it changes the tone. are those two tones the type that I should shoot for, you think?)

direct line in from the keyboard

OK, it's experimental/prog/shoegaze/whatever you wanna call, we aren't looking to fit into one category. the recordings you're hearing are sans compression, overall efx, etc.

allen and heath zed428 and alesis hd24 adat are what we used to capture the whole shabang. thanks for listening everyone. keep in mind the quality is kind of more just a rehearsal since it's an all-together improv. sorry for typing so much lol

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=994753

• Members

Hi Guys,

I recently had to mix some songs in my apt. The tracks were previously recorded at a studio, and I used Logic Pro 8 to mix and "master" them. I don't have reference monitors, so I'm not sure how the mix came out. I would appreciate any feedback good or bad!

Thank you so much!!

These are 128kbps mp3 files.

Soulwise

Based on a Feel