Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not new to HC, just lost my old account info. The music is new though. The songs below we recorded ourselves at Aliehn Productions Recording Studio which we own and operate. Pro Tools HD and lots of other stuff.

Like Hate -electronic rock?

The Nominonivore -eastern influenced rock w/sitar?

I'd like some critique on the production value as well as the songs themselves.

Thanks

• Members

Hello,

This is my first post here, so, first I wish to say hi to everybody...second, I post a link to a little piece I did, it is a remix of a SNES (old gaming console...you know, the bleeps and beeps kind) game mixed with some original material. I would welcome comments on every aspect of the piece, compositional, orchestration, arrangment, production etc.

I am a hobbyist and I did that on a PC running Cubase SX, Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, CS80V, Rapture, Xphraze, througs an Emu 1212m, Behringer monitors, triggered from the sexy CME UF 7 :).

Let the criticism start! :D

http://

[EDIT: It seems they didn't allow hotlinking...and they deleted it :/...well, i'll need to find another way....]

• Members

Originally posted by Soundastic

Hello,

This is my first post here, so, first I wish to say hi to everybody...second, I post a link to a little piece I did, it is a remix of a SNES (old gaming console...you know, the bleeps and beeps kind) game mixed with some original material. I would welcome comments on every aspect of the piece, compositional, orchestration, arrangment, production etc.

I am a hobbyist and I did that on a PC running Cubase SX, Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, CS80V, Rapture, Xphraze, througs an Emu 1212m, Behringer monitors, triggered from the sexy CME UF 7
:)

Let the criticism start!
:D
http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=8819236

I couldn't get it to play in WMP.

• Members

Originally posted by the band i

Not new to HC, just lost my old account info. The music is new though. The songs below we recorded ourselves at
Aliehn Productions Recording Studio
which we own and operate. Pro Tools HD and lots of other stuff.

Like Hate
-electronic rock?

The Nominonivore
-eastern influenced rock w/sitar?

I'd like some critique on the production value as well as the songs themselves.

Thanks

Like Hate: Good sound overall. The drum riff at 0:22 - 0:46, 1:00 - 1:12, 1:25 - 1:38 doesn't really do it for me. In fitting with the "electronic rock" label, I would add a few more electronic accents, not too much though. In places where the vocal follows straight quarter notes, I would stagger it a little, particularly toward the end.

The Nominonivore: I really like this. I can think of only two overall criticisms. I think it is a bit long, and I would alter the sitar part. I would simplify the sitar during the main vocal phrases, and bring it in during the sustained notes, highlighting the call and response effect. I like the rhythm guitar part, but I would like to hear an acoustic guitar there just to compare the color. I think the middle is either too long, or needs more to happen.real nice vocal, bass, good drum. Nice sound.

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

This is from the St Patrick's Day gig with Somebody's Son, recorded live. I've done nothing to the file except upload it to the computer and encode to mp3.

Big Legged Woman

Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Not much to critique. The vocal needs a bit more bluesyness (yeah, like I know blues) but that's it.

• Members

Originally posted by Soundastic

Well, it seems I found a way...here it goes

http://soundastic.tripod.com/

the file is in the middle of the page

Nice. Iit's funny, because I thought it would make a good gaming soundtrack, then I looked at your original post. I am not familiar with the original at all. Pretty good vocals. From 1:46 to 2:08, I'm not sure I like the percussion, except at the end for a lead in back to the next section. It may be the arrangement.

• Members

Nice. Iit's funny, because I thought it would make a good gaming soundtrack, then I looked at your original post. I am not familiar with the original at all. Pretty good vocals. From 1:46 to 2:08, I'm not sure I like the percussion, except at the end for a lead in back to the next section. It may be the arrangement.

The game was called Usagi Yojimbo, it was made for Commodore 64 actually in the 80's, i've never played it, only listened to the track. It consisted of two saw wave like sounds playing the theme from the beginning of my piece in an od 6/8 like measure, not sure because of the sloppy timing of the hardware rendering it. It sounded like crap for short. The theme is good though, and it makes one raise its respect for the people who achieved much using so little equipment, Neil Brennan in this case.

• Members

Originally posted by Gonkulator

Like Hate: Good sound overall. The drum riff at 0:22 - 0:46, 1:00 - 1:12, 1:25 - 1:38 doesn't really do it for me. In fitting with the "electronic rock" label, I would add a few more electronic accents, not too much though. In places where the vocal follows straight quarter notes, I would stagger it a little, particularly toward the end.

The Nominonivore: I really like this. I can think of only two overall criticisms. I think it is a bit long, and I would alter the sitar part. I would simplify the sitar during the main vocal phrases, and bring it in during the sustained notes, highlighting the call and response effect. I like the rhythm guitar part, but I would like to hear an acoustic guitar there just to compare the color. I think the middle is either too long, or needs more to happen.real nice vocal, bass, good drum. Nice sound.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, Gonkulator. I tend to agree with you on all the points you made. These two songs were part of our 16 track debut album and there's plenty we would change, things we didn't hear or "get" during the process, if we could rewind time. We'll leave that for our second CD. And thanks for the compliments.

Here are a couple more from that CD:

21st Century Stigmata

Chembe

• Members

I'd like some opinions on this mix. And I'd like to offer an excuse right off the bat: this was recorded in the band's practice space. I know the quality is up to me as the engineer, but I'll use whatever excuse I can! :D

My equipment is pretty much bedroom-recording quality. We rented a couple things for the recording. As time goes on, I'm working toward better equipment, but I don't have the money.

I don't need comments on the song itself. The performance isn't perfect, I'll tell you that right off the bat.

The most important lesson I learned on that (long) weekend: don't use compression when you aren't in an environment where you can't really hear what it's doing.

It's death metal.

Devouring Brains

• Members

Working on my cover of "One Thing Leads to Another" by The Fixx. Took it to some pro dudes who have a quality Pro-tools rig and recording studio. They helped me mix some tunes on my CD awhile back. This tune is sounding good, but I don't know...something's not happening in the mix. The drums still have a "demo" quality to me that I can't put my finger on. I need some outside ears. They're telling me they think this song is near the finish line before mastering, but I'm not so sure.

The song: www.keith-moore.net/audio/onething.mp3

Much appreciated.

• Members

@ veracohr

I'm at very amature stages so i might not have the best solutions to my observations but...

The biggest thing for me was the clarity or punch of

the drums, i think the kick and snare need raising or

some eq to bring them to life a bit, the snare needs to cut through for that kinda music i feel... like punchy!!

Also the cymbals seemed to have to much top end,

they sounded a bit tin-y, a bit ear piercing!

Another thing which isnt so much a problem, more of an option realy; you have 2 guitars panned left and right,right? I think they coulda had more of a contrasting

sound to them which would widen out the sound abit more and add abit more depth to them, rather than slightly mushy, i think this would help the vocals too!

EQ wise the guitars are way deeper than the vox, so having one guitar slightly brighter mightt help the vocals sit in the mix better as it has something to sit against,

at the moment they are up high on their own, bring up the guitar tone and it should make the guitars 'hug' the vox more.

Phew! for someone who doesnt know much i acctually ranted abit eh! lol

Maybe someone could re-iterate my comments with

more concise solutions!!!

btw i used SOAD as a kinda benchmark tool.

All the best!

Adey

• Members

Thanks Killadey.

I often find myself in the bad position of not seeing the forest for the trees, and it was so with this project.

I mixed two songs, this one and another, to sound the same. Then a little later I listened to them next to some Lamb of God, and decided to take a different approach.

I've redone one of the songs, cutting out a lot of low end on basically everything, trying for the general sound of Lamb of God.

Also, I'm pretty poor at mastering, so that may have harmed the mix in what you heard there.

• Members

I thought it had a lot going for it too tbo...

I like the booming guitars acctually, but it needs something sitting between that and the vox tone wise and it will be fuller, you could keep the emphasis on the original guitar sound though i think its one of those "small chages, big difference" scenarios..

Ade

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

could anyone help me listen which version would be mostly perfered? and all comments on alterations are welcome

same track different mastering chain, (not in the best formate but oh well~)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=268740&songID=3905523

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=268740&songID=3905519

thank you

• Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

could anyone help me listen which version would be mostly perfered? and all comments on alterations are welcome

same track different mastering chain, (not in the best formate but oh well~)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=268740&songID=3905523

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=268740&songID=3905519

thank you

I vote for V2. Sorry not to have more input than that.

• Members

Hey friends:

We recently got a few mixes back from our mix engineer for our new album. The only place I have them posted is on our myspace. (these are songs by a Christian rock band, by the way)

Could you please check it out and let us know what you think of the mixes? He's been a great guy to work with and we liek what he's doign thus far. Any words of wisdom or things to look at with these songs/mixes?

The songs in question are "Because You Are" and "The Real Me", and can be heard onour myspace . Thanks a lot everyone. Any feedback would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm getting into studio production, I've worked with a few local bands on demos etc.

This is basically a jam that turned into a full recording with myself on guitar and a couple of friends sessioning on bass and drums:

192 mp3 download - www.the-cellar-bar.co.uk/Junemix.mp3

I'd be interested to get some feedback on the mix in general and also the tonality of the master (i.e too bright, too much bass etc).

Thanks guys!

al.