Jump to content

Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Here is a new song that I got through mixing recently. Those who enjoy a bit of psychedelia with their rock will especially enjoy "Undone". Lemme know what you think (post here). Thanks!

 

Undone MP3 (192 kbps)

 

Page with more songs if you want to hear more... These are all songs from my band. I play guitar and keyboards and did all the recording. The recording was done at my very own Blueberry Buddha Studios.

 

These songs will sound a little different from each other in some respects...they were recorded at different times:

 

-Some were tracked on analog and mixed down onto DAT.

 

-Some were tracked on analog and then transferred to Pro Tools for further overdubs and mixing.

 

-And some were tracked and mixed on Pro Tools only.

 

I don't know if you'll be able to tell or not. I doubt I could if I didn't know already!

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

As always, thank you so much for listening and for your comments!!! If you want to know how they were recorded or any other technical information, ask away!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Hello!

 

Here is a song I've done recently and would appreciate any comments - positive, or helpful suggestions.

 

I record as a hobby, and use pretty basic stuff - a VTB-1 and Joemeek VC3 pres, then [sometimes] to a samson s-com compressor, then into a tascam US-224 converter, to SONAR 3 Studio (with the sonitus EQ and compressor). I wrote the song (rock instrumental) and play the guitars and bass. The drums I arranged from a sequencer. I plyed an epiphone dot guitar, and the cheapest squier p-bass I could find. I monitor with KRK ST6's.

I did do some "mastering".

 

Thanks for listening!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by C JoGo

Ken ::: what effects are you using for the vocals ??


The tune set me back to the venues of '68/70...remember those concerts well !!


Thanks

 

Thanks! "Undone" seems to be a new favorite when we play it at clubs.

 

FX on the vox...reverb's the TC Electronics M300 (hardware), and the delay is a TelRay Delay plug-in...I don't know what kind, but I think it came with either Pro Tools itself or a Bomb Factory plug-in.

 

In either case, I really like the TelRay plug-in a lot. Sometimes I sneak it in with a track so you can't hear it, but if I were to take it out, you'd notice something sounded different.

 

On this song, however, I just let it fly, "gain-riding" it throughout the song.

 

We really have a lot of fun playing this song, and had a lot of fun mixing and recording it. Hopefully you and others will like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by C JoGo

Ken ::: what effects are you using for the vocals ??


The tune set me back to the venues of '68/70...remember those concerts well !!


Thanks

 

Thanks! "Undone" seems to be a new favorite when we play it at clubs.

 

FX on the vox...reverb's the TC Electronics M300 (hardware), and the delay is a TelRay Delay plug-in...I don't know what kind, but I think it came with either Pro Tools itself or a Bomb Factory plug-in.

 

In either case, I really like the TelRay plug-in a lot. Sometimes I sneak it in with a track so you can't hear it, but if I were to take it out, you'd notice something sounded different.

 

On this song, however, I just let it fly, "gain-riding" it throughout the song.

 

We really have a lot of fun playing this song, and had a lot of fun mixing and recording it. Hopefully you and others will like it.

 

Undone MP3 (192 kbps)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by C JoGo

Perfect delay ! I use mainly TC > but you nailed the parameters on that one !!

 

Thanks! It's kinda funny because that plug-in has very crude parameters to tweak. It's a bunch of knobs with no read-out and crude increments, not much to adjust. Just use your ear and "twist".

 

Which is fine since after all it's emulating an old TelRay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by hethaerto4



I seriously think your guys should change your band name to :"The Human Tornado". That fits your sound so much better that "Cheap Sedated Hams".

Great songs. Very original style, at least to my ears.

The myspace media player is garbage. Any other place we can hear your songs?

 

Hey Thanks, I didn't think anyone actually listened to any of the songs. Human Tornado is a Black 70's B-Movie with Dolemite so there would probably be some copyright infringements if we named it that. You can also listen to them at our website in my sig. Iwill give a listen to your songs but I have to do it at work and I must be quiet.:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Here is a new song that I got through mixing recently. Those who enjoy a bit of psychedelia with their rock will especially enjoy "Undone". Lemme know what you think (post here). Thanks!


Undone MP3 (192 kbps)


Page with more songs if you want to hear more...
These are all songs from my band. I play guitar and keyboards and did all the recording. The recording was done at my very own Blueberry Buddha Studios.


These songs will sound a little different from each other in some respects...they were recorded at different times:


-Some were tracked on analog and mixed down onto DAT.


-Some were tracked on analog and then transferred to Pro Tools for further overdubs and mixing.


-And some were tracked and mixed on Pro Tools only.


I don't know if you'll be able to tell or not. I doubt I could if I didn't know already!


~~~~~~~~~~~


As always, thank you so much for listening and for your comments!!! If you want to know how they were recorded or any other technical information, ask away!!

 

I lost myself in that one. Really cool zip/zap effects. Morcheeba-esque?

 

Now for the suggestions... I think the snare is too present. It needs to be murky too fit the vibe. Vocal needs more air.

 

In other words, bring the singer forward, and move the drummer back about 8 feet.

 

Very cool stuff... very groovy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Thanks!


I actually did jack the high end (I don't remember, probably around 13-6kHz) in the vocals by quite a lot.


The snare should be darker? I can try that....they are really really loud in the overheads, so I don't think I can lower them in the mix very much.

 

I'm always uncomforable giving input towards something that sounds so good. My comments were based solely on a first impression of what I'd do. It sounds way cool as is...

 

Maybe I'm not talking air on the vocalist but that presence that comes between 1 and 4k. Something to put her right in my ear. Not a ton, but I think she deserves to win the fight with the snare, as cool sounding as IT is.

 

I mentioned Morcheeba earlier. They get her hovering just above everything else...

 

Or...

 

It's completely done and finished and sounds GREAT!:thu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Gotcha, thanks! I guess we're probably gonna leave it as is since no one wants to really touch it. The snare is very dominating. The drummer was using a large Noble and Cooley snare, and then banging on the thing with the fat end of the stick to get a really huge sound (which I'd say he achieved ). But sure, maybe a little more presence with the vocals may have helped.

 

You may have seen the post I left under the Neve Portico thread in this forum. I recorded vocals through the Neve Portico that I just got, and it is so unbelievably warm and gooey sounding when used in Silk Mode. It would have been interesting to see how the vocal would have sounded recorded through that preamp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Ken,

 

Undone -- I just gave it a quick two listens. My monitor chain was Cool Edit for playback, through a Pulsar 1 sound card, into a Samson Servo 120 driving Samson Resolv 65s. The system seems to translate reasonably well to the other systems I test mixes on, but is a little lacking in the bass department. I'm an amateur whose experience is mostly limited to solo projects in my home studio. Random comments:

 

Cool track -- are you guys from Ireland? ;)

Nice kick, but the snare sounds a little loose

Guitar sound is very cool -- especially those layered guitars towards the end

Toms could use tightening up (compression/less room mikes?)

Middle bit (lead) just clipping (also at about 4:10), basically the two places where it gets really loud. Overall, I think it may be a bit too dynamic, but that may be from listening to too many overly-hot radio masters.

Great guitars -- or did I mention that?

Bass is nice, right where it needs to be.

Lead vox sit very nicely in the mix. I agree with Lee that the vox could use a touch of air, but it sounds darned good as is.

 

That's about it. Great track -- I enjoyed listening to it.

 

-John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

elamberth -- The first thing that jumped out at me was that the track's peak amplitude is less than -9dB. You'd gain a lot (no pun intended) by using more of the available headroom. See my previous post for details of my monitor chain, and disclaimers about my experience level :) Random comments:

 

Nice groove.

Cymbals may have clipped somewhere along the line -- they sound a bit harsh.

Guitar tone is nice -- love that clean one especially.

The track might be served by a more natural drum tone (less gated-sounding, although the gating is well done).

For a track like this, I think the bass and drums should more out front. You might consider a little more bottom-end on the bass as well.

 

Overall, pretty nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

C Jo Go,

 

Really nice track. Just gave it a couple of listens, and here are some comments:

 

I agree that the guitar is a bit bright -- sounds great, but could use some eq (2k-3k? a guess).

The mix is a bit hot -- clips around 1:48, 1:58, 3:09.

Overall, could use some eq to get the various parts out of each other's way.

 

I'm just nit-picking; much as I'd like to offer some constructive criticism, I can't find much to criticize. It sounds awesome.

 

--John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Okay, karma time. As the guidelines for this thread suggested, I wanted to give a bit of feedback before asking for some. So now it's time to (hopefully) get some back.

 

http://www.geocities.com/phillyguy_1/Dosed.mp3

 

By way of background, I'm principally a guitarist; I've been playing for nearly 25 years, at varying levels of seriousness (pretty serious the last couple of years).

 

This is a Chili Peppers tune that I did principally as a guitar layering and mixing exercise. I think it's among the two or three best finished products to come out of my spare-bedroom studio.

 

There are 7 guitar tracks here, all of which were played on a FrankenStrat that I put together from various bits (but it's basically a '57-reissue -- pickups, body, bridge). I recorded it direct, and added the amp tone later using Cakewalk's Amp Sim (this was before I discovered the joys of ReValver).

 

There's a whopping 14 tracks of backing vox here, most of which only come in at the very end.

 

The bass and piano are a Roland XV-5050, and the drums are Drumkit from Hell. The whole thing was recorded and mixed on Sonar.

 

I'd be very interested to hear what people think of this, most especially what I could be doing better. It's basically a sound-alike of the original, or at least, as close as I could get it, so an A-B comparison might be interesting if you have the By The Way CD handy. Compliments are always welcome, but I think criticism is more useful in improving one's skills. So fire away!

 

BTW, I'm not a singer. You have been warned :)

 

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives this a listen.

 

--John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I wrote this song for an independent film called "Will"

A metaphor for creation -- a trio of men -- an old man -- his son -- and his grandson -- set about dragging a very large bucket of water accross a desert in order to plant a tree in the middle of the desert, and encounter their flaws and fears long the way. it was to demonstrate that; as we suffer so must the creator have suffered to bring us into being. the song was recorded on a Protools mix system using a korg triton, ensonic TS12, trinity rack, minimoog, and les Paul into amp farm. a vintage slingerland drum kit, and esp horizon bass. I played and sang all the parts. the song ran throught the credits , and I was filmed performing the song in front of a blue screen and then superimposed over out takes and other footage not used in the film. it was a real gas to see the movie and myself on the big screen-- I also scored the film, did complete dialoque replacement, and foly

 

http://www.tvfproductions.com/rememberwhen.mp3

 

the website is terribly out of date - I have since moved to a new facility- a new site is in the works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by menJop

Ken,


Undone -- I just gave it a quick two listens. My monitor chain was Cool Edit for playback, through a Pulsar 1 sound card, into a Samson Servo 120 driving Samson Resolv 65s. The system seems to translate reasonably well to the other systems I test mixes on, but is a little lacking in the bass department. I'm an amateur whose experience is mostly limited to solo projects in my home studio. Random comments:


Cool track -- are you guys from Ireland?
;)
Nice kick, but the snare sounds a little loose

Guitar sound is very cool -- especially those layered guitars towards the end

Toms could use tightening up (compression/less room mikes?)

Middle bit (lead)
just
clipping (also at about 4:10), basically the two places where it gets really loud. Overall, I think it may be a bit too dynamic, but that may be from listening to too many overly-hot radio masters.

Great guitars -- or did I mention that?

Bass is nice, right where it needs to be.

Lead vox sit very nicely in the mix. I agree with Lee that the vox could use a touch of air, but it sounds darned good as is.


That's about it. Great track -- I enjoyed listening to it.


-John

 

Thanks for the comments, John!

 

Snare is probably a little loose. I dunno....we love the snare sound. I don't like tight, snappy snares in general, and we got those last time and didn't want them this time.

 

I like big fat toms. I dunno, I just let 'em fly. There's some compression on there. I know, they have a lot of ring and stuff to them, but I just love it that way because that's the way they sound in the room. They're not too flabby and lack punch, though, I hope?

 

It is very dynamic. I absolutely love it that way. I'm sure that in mastering the guy will tighten it all up a little. None of those songs have mastering or anything at all. I have the ability to just utterly squash a song and make it sinfully loud, but I just really detest that sort of sound. I'm going to tell the mastering engineer to make it as loud as it will go without sacrificing the sound quality. If it's a little quieter than other CDs, then so be it.

 

Thanks for the compliments on the guitars. We are very happy with how the guitars came out!!! I'm playing the more effected clean guitars, while the bass player is playing the clean chords. I play the lead guitars with distortion, while the bass player is playing the chunky, scrappy rhythms behind it. The bass player is also playing a lot of the spacey parts in the middle, and then at the end, I'm playing the leads and all the wah-wah parts at the end. We had so much FUN playing this song and recording it...

 

The vox....hmmm, I guess it's aesthetic. I seriously jacked the top end for some air, but I didn't want it as open and airy as some of the other vocals that I've done because I wanted a sort of '60s psychedelic vibe....so after thinking about it, I decided to just keep the vocals as is. I mean, they sit so well in the mix and everything as it is, I hate to mucky around with it too much and destroy the beautiful balance. We're thrilled with this song, and figure we'll just keep it the way it is.

 

The clipping....I'll have to check that out.

 

Thanks again!! I really appreciate your comments and the time you took to make them! We just had so much fun recording this song, so I'm really glad that you enjoyed listening to it!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

menjop -- great job over all -- nice job on the vocals -- get the drums together and your set -- pump out something original ---I like the grt tones . I thought you put the song over well -- I really like that song so you had something to work with from the start. translated well to my playback system -- mackie 8bus to JBL 4412A's wth subs -rainAC 22 Xover - QSC 1200 and 1400 amps -respectivly:thu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

(Originally posted by
Funkwave
, and moved to proper thread at his request by moderator. Please address any responses directly to him. Thx! - Phil)


***********************************


Hey Dudes, let me know your honest opinions on this one. I just finished it today.


I did all of the instrumentation and sequence programing, my gal friend did the vocs.



http://www.project80s.com/danny/Blue%20Skies.mp3

 

That's a nice one. It's not my kind of music, but it surely rocks.

Nice vocs too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by ProducerNate

I have been recording since I was 17 (I'm 20 now). I started out at my high school auditorium, but now own my own
gear
.
I rent out a room in a local practice space to use as a studio, and I share the space with two people (both have bands). The sample I have is with one of the bands,
Karenin's Smile
. The name of the song is "Marissa."


I used the Oktava MC012s as drum overheads, 57 on snare, Beta 92 on kick. There are a lot of keyboards on the song, as well as several guitar tracks. The production on them was pretty standard - line in for keys and mostly a 57 on guitars. I want a general overview of the song, mainly in terms of production, but musical critique is fine, too. Listen especially the bridge, which comes in around 2:40.


*I will warn you now, some people like the singer's voice, and some hate it*


Current demo tracks
listen as you please, I will post more songs here in the coming weeks

Marissa

 

I liked the voice. Malkmus comes to my mind.

I'd cut some lows, but that's just me - or my speakers.

Anyway, a good job! Congrats!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Well, here's a trial. I've recorded a trio this weekend - piano, flute and violin.

 

Link to the song

 

The digital piano was recorded directly to an Audiophile 192, stereo. The flute and violin were overdubs, so there were lots of bleeds from each track. Sennheiser e835 for the flute, a homemade mic based on telephone capsules for the violin. Cheap mixer preamps on the overdubs chain.

 

Audacity was the software, freeware plugins have been used too.

 

Violin at center, the other ones were panned 20%, opposite.

 

Any replies are very welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...