Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

I just started using an orchestral sample library and wanted some opinions on a short little demo I did to get myself familiar with it.

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~gstitt/fullorchestra.mp3

I basically just used a simple theme and then tried out different orchestrations. I've never had to automate midi volume so much until I started using this library. It really takes a lot of work to sound close to realistic.

I was curious to hear how the mix sounds on everyone else's speakers. I think the piano could probably use a little more reverb to help push it back a little. Feel free to comment on the mix, the music, or whatever. Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by gsHarmony

I just started using an orchestral sample library and wanted some opinions on a short little demo I did to get myself familiar with it.

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~gstitt/fullorchestra.mp3

I basically just used a simple theme and then tried out different orchestrations. I've never had to automate midi volume so much until I started using this library. It really takes a lot of work to sound close to realistic.

I was curious to hear how the mix sounds on everyone else's speakers. I think the piano could probably use a little more reverb to help push it back a little. Feel free to comment on the mix, the music, or whatever. Thanks

i just listened to your work on my office MAC speakers, so i won't comment on the mix/reverb, but those samples sound damn good. i felt very relaxed until ... the drums came in :D

those samples are quality! very very nice piano playing.

• Members

Originally posted by gsHarmony

Damn, that sounds good. Unforunately, I can't even come up with a single suggestion. Everything in the mix is perfectly clear on my monitors. I look forward to hearing it with the vocals.

Thank you!

eventhough I was pleased with it I decided to cut the song in pieces and make a different composition of it. Vocals are still being tracked,re-written and tracked again,... lol,...endless,...endless.... when it is finished I'll post it again...

About your piece:

I love the sound and composition! Very nice samples indeed!! Allthough I personal would bring more space in the mixing.

I noticed that most instruments seem to come from the same direction except for the Marimba? and the drums... The drums come from both sides and the marimba - is it a marima? is panned left but a weird left,.. it shifts from far left to let's say between missle and left.,... this would be no problem if the rest of the instruments are spaced as well( like in my opinion they should be) but now it sounds a bit weird.

I love the samples man,.. did you do them? or buy a CD?

• Members

Originally posted by zinzin

Please listen - new song - virtual top 10 hit!

i am terribly proud of this new song i've written and recorded. it's called "pop child" and it has the sixty-pop-rock-vibe i aimed for. i think if a well known UK would release it as a single, it would be a top 10 hit!

i consider the mix finished although i tried not to touch to much and let it almost as i recorded. afterall its a demo and it has not to be perfect, but lemme know what you think about the recording quality and the song itself!

every comment welcome!

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0YDYGELNUUN1Q2YCXAH4XLZVM4

It's sounds very lo-fi to me and the vocals are unclear and soft.

The riff is very well known ,..I could name dozens of zongs that are based on the same riff... Proclaimers used it a lot for instance.

It sounds more CCR to me than britpop.

Looks like it's offbeat at some points(did you do that on purpose?)

Even for a demo I'd consider re-mixing it. I like the song though allthough I can't understand all of it. Cool tune!! but a #1. ?? nuh,...well maybe if Robbie Williams did it ,..but hey,...everything he does gets #1,... he might even do the German anthem.

• Members

I noticed that most instruments seem to come from the same direction except for the Marimba? and the drums... The drums come from both sides and the marimba - is it a marima? is panned left but a weird left,.. it shifts from far left to let's say between missle and left.,... this would be no problem if the rest of the instruments are spaced as well( like in my opinion they should be) but now it sounds a bit weird.

I'm glad you liked it. I wish I could have made those samples myself. They are from the EWQLSO Gold Edition.

I agree about the panning being off (I'm assuming this is what you meant by spacing), but unfortunately that is how the samples were recorded (everything was recorded in stereo with each instrument in its appropriate place in an orchestra). What I will probably do is convert them all to mono and pan them as I see fit. Now that I think about it, would it work to just pan the stereo samples or would that cause something weird? By the way, the percussion part was a xylophone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Members

i am terribly proud of this new song i've written and recorded. it's called "pop child" and it has the sixty-pop-rock-vibe i aimed for. i think if a well known UK would release it as a single, it would be a top 10 hit!

i consider the mix finished although i tried not to touch to much and let it almost as i recorded. afterall its a demo and it has not to be perfect, but lemme know what you think about the recording quality and the song itself!

every comment welcome!

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...1Q2YCXAH4XLZVM4

I pretty much agree with all of boosh's comments. The vocals definitely need to be more clear. I had a hard time understanding anything. The performance had some rough spots too.

However, I did like the song. My only suggestion would be to maybe make it a little shorter. There didn't seem to be enough new ideas in the song to hold my interest for almost 4 minutes.

• Members

every comment welcome!

Agree with the above posters the performance is a bit rough in some places, but it is just a demo so depending on what you want to use it for that is cool........The vocals could be more clear as the others have said... I would have liked to be able to make them out.........And as the other guy said the song should be ended around the 2:54 second mark where it kinda ends then starts back up again. There is not enough going on diferent that makes me want to listen to the last minute of the tune........I like the song but it is rather repetitive so 4 minutes gets to be a bit much. I like the retro vibe you went for and I think you did a decent job recording it....of course I suck so I think anything is decent :) I'll be posting my very first recording here in about a week, it is the simplest song I've got so you can tell me what you don't like about my {censored} real soon.........till then keep on a' rocking.

• Members

thanks to all for your comments.

you are right: it is rather lo-fi and rough and the performance has some weak points but i think for a demo it's ok.

i will try and make the vocals clearer, maybe take some of the reverb of and use more compression.

yeah, the riff is not a monster of originality, but it suits the song well and sounds great to me.

thanks @ boosh for the CCR reference! when i played that little guitar fill at 0:55 i was totally thinking "wow! john fogerty would be proud of me!!!"

but i cannot agree with you in making the song shorter. i really think that the coda is needed, the repeated melodic singing and the little guitar solo complete with handclaps do add a perfect outro and form a nice little popsong. that's the needed variation in the song.

thanks again to all. much appreciated!

• Members

gsHarmony:

I think the panning of stereo tracks should be no problem,... I do it all the time and never hear any weird stuff going on.

ZinZin:

If you like the length of the song and the structure,..just leave it as it is. It's your song!! Unless you really want to try and sell it than you have to make it as radio-ready as possible.

• Members

CJoGo--Let me premise this by saying that if anyone had listened to my music, they would understand that I know nothing. However, after listening to your song KaLeeFornYa (sp?), I must compliment your sound quality. It's much cleaner and more polished than many of the songs (esp. the more complicated ones) I've seen posted here or other places. In my opinion the more important parts, i.e., voc's and harp, get lost in the mix a lot. The harp especially; I'm a fan of Bob Dylan and the Doors and tripe like that and their harmonicas always stood way out above everything else. That may be a matter of taste...tell me what you think.

• Members

every comment welcome!

I like this song; it takes me back to dirt weed, Built to Spill and the Silver Jews type of stuff. Hopefully that's what you were going for or you might be fairly insulted. It seems to me like the bass was a little overpowering and it seems like that was part of the problem with the voc's. If there were a little less bass the presence of the vocals might be stronger. Play with eq's, or tell me to dry up and blow away. How did you record it?

(Originally posted by Funkwave, and moved to proper thread at his request by moderator. Please address any responses directly to him. Thx! - Phil)

Hey Dudes, let me know your honest opinions on this one. I just finished it today.

I did all of the instrumentation and sequence programing, my gal friend did the vocs.

http://www.project80s.com/danny/Blue%20Skies.mp3

• Members

Originally posted by elbromisto

Play with eq's, or tell me to dry up and blow away. How did you record it?

thanks. i "played" a bit with the EQs last weekend and cleared up the voice a bit.

recording: my drummer records his drums first with i think 4 or 5 mikes going into a mixer and then into cubase. its all mixed on the spot, so unfortunately no chance of changing the drumsounds afterwards.

i record my guitar part with a vox tonelab SE right into my MAC using cubase. its very simple and cheap.

• Members

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3QS8AULQZK8Y82IHR198J8T6YG

thats my first ever attempt. all mixed live into a soundcraft folix sx then into a minidv tape deck then dubbed into cool edit pro through the line in on my sound card (just downloaded today so i'm not too good with it) then some limiting done with that.

no effects hardware or anything. only 3 drum mics (kick, snare and a beyer m58 for overhead). mostly stuff i've squirreled together off ebay as cheaply as possible/borrowed. through reading here i have since discovered the use of the low pass filter button and think i have a better understanding about sound frequencies too. i'm 17 by the way and normally only do sound at the odd pub gig i put on where its too small to have its own pa system and at church sometimes.

• Members

Great thrad by the way. Here are 3 songs we have almost finished. Actually "Human tornado" was done yers ago and it is what it is at this point so no comments needed. The other two are almost done but are not coming out right. They aren't our best songs so we did these first before the other songs on the eventual album.

Problem #1 is the "engineer" is a kid who doesn't know jack {censored} and is unreliable. So we are finishing the first 4 songs and then moving on to a different studio.

My main complaint is that it is not capturing the true energy of the songs. I attribute this to the mix for the most part.

Our goal is to make a decent album to sell at shows and whatever though I know we cannot afford a professional sonding album. i just want the emotions and essence of the song to be captured. Please listen and comment on anything you want. It will all be appreciated!

Cheap Sedated Hams

Hey everyone - just a reminder - please take the time to check out three or four submissions from other people for each submission of your own.

It's on the "honor system", but it's really the only way we can make sure that everyone gets their stuff listened to and discussed, and that this thread doesn't just turn into a "submissions only / no comments given" wasteland. ;)

Thanks! :)

• Members

SONG HERE

A remastered song I did with a buddy of mine named Tom. Superb bassist and keyboardist.

I did the guitar wankings, and programed the drums. Tom did all the bass and keyboard

work. He did such a great job that gave me a superb bed to play over. I don't think I did it

justice for sure.

I posted this a long time ago(couple of years I believe) and dug it out today and tried

mastering it myself. I don't know how good a job I did but I really tried to do it well. Hoping

I got all the levels and the mix right as well as added a bit of "sparkle" to the sound via

mastering technology!

I was kind of an Y.J. Malmsteen ripoff artiste on this one...lol

I remember using a re-issue Marshall 1987x and old greenback loaded cab I have. I remember

borrowing a friends banana yellow strat to play this with. If you listen closely you can hear

a bad guitar cable I have start shorting out near the end...

Anyway enough of my rambling. I would love to know what everyone that hears this thinks

of the mix and the mastering job. I tried really hard. I trust you guys a bunch. The recording

forum gives basically no feedback whatsoever, so please, help me out guys!

Gary

• Members

the local guitar shop around here just started stocking alot of behringers stuff. i went in today and checked a good bit of it out, i came home with the GDI 21. it's a effects pedal/DI box. basically a tech 21 samsamp clone. i recorded this direct. it's not perfect but it'll be great for late night recordings, and that's what i got it for.

Transylvania

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

SONG HERE

A remastered song I did with a buddy of mine named Tom. Superb bassist and keyboardist.

I did the guitar wankings, and programed the drums. Tom did all the bass and keyboard

work. He did such a great job that gave me a superb bed to play over. I don't think I did it

justice for sure.

I posted this a long time ago(couple of years I believe) and dug it out today and tried

mastering it myself. I don't know how good a job I did but I really tried to do it well. Hoping

I got all the levels and the mix right as well as added a bit of "sparkle" to the sound via

mastering technology!

I was kind of an Y.J. Malmsteen ripoff artiste on this one...lol

I remember using a re-issue Marshall 1987x and old greenback loaded cab I have. I remember

borrowing a friends banana yellow strat to play this with. If you listen closely you can hear

a bad guitar cable I have start shorting out near the end...

Anyway enough of my rambling. I would love to know what everyone that hears this thinks

of the mix and the mastering job. I tried really hard. I trust you guys a bunch. The recording

forum gives basically no feedback whatsoever, so please, help me out guys!

Gary

nice job, sounds pretty cool. you don't here alot of keyboard backed shredding.

• Members

here is one of mine.

heavy rock

4 track of guitars, heavy compression with a TL Audio on the drums

4 tracks of lead

2 bass

1 track of singing vocal

1 track of screaming vocal

1 background/2nd vocals

9 of drums which has:

2 tracks of kick that seem to not come out so much

2 snare

1 hh

2 overhead

1 room

2 toms

the file

I used the tc electronic mx2000 for the delay.

Critics, be harsh and just! :)

any other idea?

• Members

I have been recording since I was 17 (I'm 20 now). I started out at my high school auditorium, but now own my own gear. I rent out a room in a local practice space to use as a studio, and I share the space with two people (both have bands). The sample I have is with one of the bands, Karenin's Smile. The name of the song is "Marissa."

I used the Oktava MC012s as drum overheads, 57 on snare, Beta 92 on kick. There are a lot of keyboards on the song, as well as several guitar tracks. The production on them was pretty standard - line in for keys and mostly a 57 on guitars. I want a general overview of the song, mainly in terms of production, but musical critique is fine, too. Listen especially the bridge, which comes in around 2:40.

*I will warn you now, some people like the singer's voice, and some hate it*

Current demo tracks listen as you please, I will post more songs here in the coming weeks

Marissa