What if I flipped my humbuckers around?

the new guy

• Members

Originally posted by ZeppelinPie792

I figure since it will be further away from the bridge that it will make it less bright or twangy.

All you would be doing is rotating the pickup.

Have you experimented with adjusting the height of the pickup? That will get you much more than flipping the pickup will.

• Members

Turning the pickup around will sound the same. The rotation of the windings will be the same way ...and the direction of the magenets will be the same. No phase cancelation will occur. If the individual coils are wound assymetrically, IN THEORY you might get a different sound because the hotter coil will be at a slightly different place on the string's length...but in reality the coil difference would have to be very great and even then the position shift is pretty small so I'm guessing that even then it would be hard to hear a difference.

• Members

Originally posted by the new guy

I think everyone is missing the point. If you look at a COVERED pickup with ONLY the adjustable pole pieces being exposed, there is a reason that the neck and bridge are oriented the way they are , and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the SOUND that produces. Why ?

Jesus, where are all the science geeks when you need them !

what the {censored}, do you think I was lying to you? :rolleyes:

• Members

I think everyone is missing the point. If you look at a COVERED pickup with ONLY the adjustable pole pieces being exposed, there is a reason that the neck and bridge are oriented the way they are , and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the SOUND that produces. Why ?

Science geek here.

I run the 'buckers in one of my guitars turned the opposite way. It seems to reduce the brightness of the bridge and take some of the mud from the neck. Give me to tones that are both useable, rather than having to set the amp tone controls up for either the bridge or neck PU.

YMMV.

• Members

I have done it MANY times.. IF it has adjustable pole pieces, you can raise the poles on the flipped over buckers.. This will mellow out the screeching treble on the bridge pickup, and decrease the boomy bass on the neck, depending on how high you make the other half of the pickup,... IMHO it works great, and I recommend it to guys with overly trebely or bassy humbucker pickups... bob

• Members

Have you ever tried to flip a pickup? Do you know what the results are from firsthand experience? I do. I have flipped pickups around before, and guess what? They sounded the same.

You could flip the pickup and make it sound different. Lower the pickup and raise the pole pieces. That could be done in either orientation though. Might sound different that way when you flip the pickups. As for just simply flipping the pickup you will notice no difference.

• Members

seth lover once said something to the effect of

"i love those humbuckers in the les paul, theyre just amazing, people ask me why i have the pole pieces facing the outside, i tell them, because i like the way it looks"

thats the reason theyre that way

so basically

who cares?

only if you like the look

• Members

That Gary Moore Les paul had the neck PUP turned around, whats his name Green apparently did it by mistake and they reckon that it produced a out of phase tone that everyone went ga ga over. Personally, I cant pick the difference.

({censored} i was reading about it on the net somewhere and now i cant find it....google it!)

• Members

I think the reason that the adjustable polepieces are where they are on the guitar's pickups is because they are closer to a moderate sweet spot that way. By raising the polepieces of the bridge pup...you not only can adjust string balance, you can add bass to the brighter sounding pickup. By raising the polepiece on the neck pup....you can add trebel (IN THEORY since again the effect is probably minimal.)

Seriously...quit screaming about how everyone on here is full of {censored} and just turn around a pickup. Find out what lots of people already know. It will sound pretty much the same. I bet turning the tone knob on your amp one notch would do 10 times more.

• Members

I had a blackout tele with one of those reverse wound 59s in the neck ... and when I got it the middle position was horrible, sounded out of phase and was very microphonic. I read somewhere where someone on here switched it around so I did too ... it definitely made a HUGE difference in the middle position (but probably nothing but a psychological one in the neck). Then again it was probably just wired wrong to begin with so I was putting it back to how it was SUPPOSED to be.

Archived