What if I flipped my humbuckers around?

the new guy

• Members

Originally posted by DracoAran

If you said it sounds the same, you are correct.

If you said that it changes the tone, you're halfway right too, but only if you do other adjustments.

In this guitar, I have the neck humbucker flipped. It sounds EXACTLY the same...

But, by bringing the pickup a LOT lower and adjusting the pole pieces way high, it sounds a lot clearer and clean. Simply because that coil is overpowering the other one by a great margin, and it is now closer to the bridge.

Now, as far as the flipping the bridge pickup and doing the same, it's not worth it. Here's why...

When I flipped the pickup, and adjusted the height and the pole pieces, it created more treble. That dominating coil might be further away from the bridge, but it is still thinner sounding than 2 coils with the same power.

If that doesn't answer your question, then you can try it for yourself.

CIMG0787.jpg

this guy knows what the {censored} he's talking about. it makes a sound difference but ONLY if you make additional adjustments.

• Members

Originally posted by Tezmond

That Gary Moore Les paul had the neck PUP turned around, whats his name Green apparently did it by mistake and they reckon that it produced a out of phase tone that everyone went ga ga over. Personally, I cant pick the difference.

({censored} i was reading about it on the net somewhere and now i cant find it....google it!)

I believe the final verdict on the accidental mystery mod on the PG LP was that the MAGNET had been accidentally flipped when the PU was being rewound or somesuch.

• Members

What some of you aren't realizing is that the covered (slug) coil is still picking up string vibration also. The adjustable poles aren't doing all the work. That's why flipping it around will make no difference.

To accomplish what you're trying to do it would be simpler to lower the adjustable poles as far as they will go.

• Members

Yes, ussually that would make the neck pup slightly brighter and the brudge pup slightly darker. Main thing is be sure the wire from pup is long enough if that puts wires termination at pup on opposite side to the control cavity. Since that takesan average of 3 & 1/2 more inches of needed wire length. And that you can still get pup in place and at same height was before. (Wire bunching up or otherwise keeping bottom of pup from going down far enough. If the pickup route is routed tight, you might also have problem getting pup back in cause outer edge of route doesnt want to allow enough room for the wire sticking out that side of pup.

I've done this with a few guitars for useable sound tweak. Mainly with neck pups. Is useful if tweaking pole peice height adjustment doesnt quite get you where you want to be, but allmost is. And if then reversing pup front ends to mellow bridge or bring out a little more edge in neck pup would do the trick then.

The reason it can give a small tone tweak is that the side with the higher pole peices (adjustable ones, or screw top side on covered humbuckers) is the side that most picks up treble edge. Thats why raising them adds a tad more edge to sound. By putting that side farther from or closer to, the bridge, you shift its side that more bring out bite or edge part of treble. Simply lowering those pole peices all the way, simply makes it a duller sounding pup. Since your eliminating most of its edge sensing ability. By moving that a little further away from bridge you dont dull its treble top sensing ability you simply move it a little further from main treble area (near bridge). Kinda like if you tilt a condenser mic a little so its not as focussed on the treble as it was when pointed straight at what your micing with it.

But yeah, you'll get more tonal variation ability out of your pups by simply adjusting pole peice height. Up for more edge, down for less. Then adjust whole pups height for how hot or not pups reading strings. If your pups are completely covered and have no adjustable pole peices. The reverse which direction pups facing can tweak it slightly. Same as reversing those with adjustable pole peice side can add a final little tweak if desired.

Yes I did at times spend a lot of time experimenting with how to adjust pups. Lol. And found of fair amount of guitars had trouble with doing the reverse pup trick due to wire length or pup route space issues with wire on other side now also having to travel under pup, or down side of route along pus edge cause not enough room under the pup for the wire. Lol. Dracos correct in his observations too for some pups. In a lot of cases with my findings was more a slight adjustment to overtones picked up. Minor change but useful with some types of distortion/overdrive and bell tone & harmonics creating etc. Which I used a lot back then. And was main thing I was after for maximizing wit some pups. But is best to find pups that just want a little bit of pole peice & overall height adjustment done.

• Members

*puts on flame suite*

I flipped my BL L-500-XL and I noticed a difference.

In full humbucking mode the distortion was less harsh, but when switched to single coil mode it was too twangy (too close to the bridge).

I'm thinking about putting it back to the correct way, so I'll get better use of the splitting feature. I'll just have to adjust my settings (which I'm dreading)

• Members

Ancient Mariner is correct. If it's an LP, I always reversed the neck pup. An LP has so much Mahogany, the neck pup gets muddy. If you're looking for more edge, reverse the bridge Pup. These changes aren't going to make a MAJOR diff mind you, but some.

• 13 years later...

Archived