Places to get shipping boxes?

AtomHeartMother

• Members
I might need a box for an amp, and I don't have one. Unfortunately, the local guitar shop won't give away amp boxes. Where else do you guys get them? Can you buy amp sized boxes online anywhere or something?

Cardboard boxes aren't exactly rare. Grocery stores, computer stores, appliance stores, furniture stores, anyplace that gets freight in regularly. I can't imagine not having a box around somewhere to send a combo amp out, but whatever. Check some stores, get out your utility knife and cut it down to size, if needed.

• Members

i go to the local music stores to get most of my boxes. they are always getting in new gear and unless they have tons of room, they usually toss the boxes. i call them a few days ahead and ask them if they are getting in a shipment. they'll usually set them aside for you to pickup

• Members

i go to the local music stores to get most of my boxes. they are always getting in new gear and unless they have tons of room, they usually toss the boxes. i call them a few days ahead and ask them if they are getting in a shipment. they'll usually set them aside for you to pickup

Well, the only shop in town that really gets any business won't give out amp boxes...supposedly. They have in the past, but I went in there not too long ago and got denied. Maybe I'll ask someone else.

• Members

Well, that's sort of the plan, but I'm hoping to get a smaller amp. So I don't think the box will be big enough.

Well, the only shop in town that really gets any business won't give out amp boxes...supposedly. They have in the past, but I went in there not too long ago and got denied. Maybe I'll ask someone else.

No grocery or appliance stores in town?

• Members

Around here Petsmart oddly has a good selction of them in the dumpster round back. They don't flatten them, and they are of various useful sizes.

For heavy valuable stuff I cut down refrigerator or stove or W/D boxes, they have good packing stuff inside too. Check the appliance stores.

• Members

Around here Petsmart oddly has a good selction of them in the dumpster round back. They don't flatten them, and they are of various useful sizes.

For heavy valuable stuff I cut down refrigerator or stove or W/D boxes, they have good packing stuff inside too. Check the appliance stores.

Check the homeless bum comment above.

• Members
I kind of don't want to look like a bum looking for a home.

Check the homeless bum comment above.

What are you, 10 years old? You go in and explain that you need to send something out and don't have a box for it. And you're worried that they'll think you are going to use it for a home? Why would they even give that a thought? The box is already made. Why not save a tree and mother earth and use it more than once?

• Members

Get all dressed up and then go searching for a box.:idea: Or look in the yellow pages for a packaging store or U Haul or other truck rental companies(kinda pricey sometimes).

Actually for an amp I would double box it. And pack the {censored} tight so it doesn't move around. And if it has tubes you might even consider removal and wrapping those individually.

• Members

You could scavenge for boxes wearing a three piece suit and tie, this way passersby wont think you are a bum. If you wear a Rolex be careful and dont scratch the crystal getting in and out of the dumpster. Families driving behind the building in their station wagon will be less likely to laugh this way, they might even say something like "Look kids, its Warren Buffett".

• Members

I usually grab mine out of the Guitar Center dumpster:o

I usually go in to Guitar Center and buy some strings and or a guitar magazine. While they ring me up I ask them if they can hook me up with a shipping box. It works every time.

• Members

the same music store that get me the boxes i need also cuts me a deal on shipping UPS from their store too. i bring the shipping box to them anytime before 4pm and the manager makes out the shipping paper to stick on the box. i usually get there around 3:30 so i can actually see it being picked up. usually cost me $12-15 to ship a guitar and $25 to ship a combo amp (40-50lbs).

it pays to hang out at the local music shop and buy a set of strings, some picks, or a guitar cord sometimes.

• Members

I go to the local Sam Ash or GC. But I have been going in the store and asking. Have never left without one? ONE TIME I went to the Dumpster in back of GC. I hac too. I had to get this guitar shipped. But man....they break-down the box's at GC. The dumpster was loaded with nothing but guitar box's. I took a bunch of Gibson cause I knew right away what they were by the markings. And a few SKB case box's. They are a little thinner and smaller. Actually i liked them for shipping elecytic better. BUT..............I hhear what your saying about feeling like a BUM! I didn't like the feeling either. But i had to do it. Hey..............ONE TIME I shipped a Semei-Hollow to LA from CT, my home, I didn't have a box. So I bought one from UPS and since I was there with the guitar, I had them package it! BIG MISTAKE! It would have been a LITTLE higher anyway shipping to LA. But it cost me $112.00 bucks to ship that Semi that day! I was sick with that price. I paid it and shipped it. The fellow even commented on the packing job on the feedback he left. But $112 dollars. Thats why I went through the DUMPSTER! {censored} I'm trying to make an extra buck. I'm not filty rich, or even a little rich. I'm a starving Musician!

• Members

Dude, if my 62 year old middle-class suburbanite mother can dumpster dive for a cardboard guitar box (she did just last week behind some local music store to send me an acoustic) you can too. Who knows; you might just get lucky and find one they accidently threw out with the guitar still inside. :D

Or ask a teenager to do your dirty work for ya. They'll dumpster dive for the hell of it.

Archived