NGD, guitar is here

Alchemist

• Members

Been waiting to see pics of this one. I really admire the craftsmanship and skill that AJC has, but that isn't the only thing that makes a nice looking guitar, he has some pretty damn good taste if you ask me.

There are a few things that really stand out for me on this one. First is the scalloped body work where the neck meets the body. That just looks cool as hell to me. Second is the neck; the binding looks {censored} hot and the frets just look so well dressed. I also like what appears to be unstained maple for the neck. Is it unfinished as well? If so than its about as close to perfect as I could imagine.

Only thing that I could pick about is the bolt on neck; I do prefer good old set necks, but the amount of work and the limitations that are intrinsic to set necks I could overlook that. Plus I doubt that you could do a set neck with that kickass scallop.

Congrats and Happy NGD.

• Members

Been waiting to see pics of this one. I really admire the craftsmanship and skill that AJC has, but that isn't the only thing that makes a nice looking guitar, he has some pretty damn good taste if you ask me.

There are a few things that really stand out for me on this one. First is the scalloped body work where the neck meets the body. That just looks cool as hell to me. Second is the neck; the binding looks {censored} hot and the frets just look so well dressed. I also like what appears to be unstained maple for the neck. Is it unfinished as well? If so than its about as close to perfect as I could imagine.

Only thing that I could pick about is the bolt on neck; I do prefer good old set necks, but the amount of work and the limitations that are intrinsic to set necks I could overlook that. Plus I doubt that you could do a set neck with that kickass scallop.

Congrats and Happy NGD.

That's the one thing I noticed too was the level of fret dress. Extremely intricate. I love it. He truly does have a certain eye for detail that he puts into his work.:thu:

• Members

The bolt on neck was my specific request. This guitar IS NOT A LES PAUL, despite the single cut look. Build wise, it is much loser to a superstrat. The neck itself has no angle to the body, it is completely straight. If it were angled like a les paul, then yes, I would have gone with a set neck.

AJC did a great job setting it up as well. The neck is very straight, action is also very low, with no buzz. :thu:

• Members

Hey, I just got home (its past 10pm here). Wow, that was fast! Who says our postal system sucks? It made it in one day and nothing broken either! :)

I am glad you like it, and remember guys, this one was Alchemists' design. I just added a few things like the 3 ply binding. He told me what he wanted and I just tried my best to make it happen.

I was worried my skills may have not been up to the task - but I am thrilled that you like it.

:D :D :D :D (relief!)

AJC

• Members

Hey, I just got home (its past 10pm here). Wow, that was fast! Who says our postal system sucks? It made it in one day and nothing broken either!
:)

I am glad you like it, and remember guys, this one was Alchemists' design. I just added a few things like the 3 ply binding. He told me what he wanted and I just tried my best to make it happen.

I was worried my skills may have not been up to the task - but I am thrilled that you like it.

:D
:D (relief!)

AJC

Yeah, I was very surprised it came that fast. I have sent stuff in this city, and it took a week to arrive! lol

If I dont sound very enthusiastic, its just because I'm soooooo very tired today lol... but really I do like the guitar very much:)

• Members

Very unique look with the 3 ply on the neck. I like.

Frets over the binding is a giant pain in my ass. Andrew did a great (and patient) job with that. That looks great.

It's funny seeing the fretboard so high above the body to compensate for the T.O.M. It looks good. A fellow guitar tech/luthier and I built a couple guitars testing a new design and we used a straight set-neck setup and recessed the T.O.M. I think I like the higher fretboard look better actually.

The guitar looks amazing guys. Great attention to detail Andrew

• Members

Thanks guys.

Yes the guitar does look very nice. However, as I have stated on this forum before, looks arent that important to me if the guitar doesnt play well. So while this guitar certainly is lovely, and AJC did a great job in that regard. I feel it really shines in its functionality.

It plays fantastically well. The neck and fretwork are just perfect. Very comfortable, straight neck, very low action, no buzz. Tuning holds well. Fret access is good. The body contours make me feel like I am playing my strat. The guitar is also well balanced, and there is no bottom heavyness as there usually is when sitting down with a les paul.

I'm not yet sure how this guitar will fit into my rig(ie for what exact applications), because it usually takes me quite a while to decide. However, I do see this becoming my main guitar in conjunction with my CS G&L. I dont really have much guitar GAS anymore, since this has long been something I have always wanted to have made for me. However.... I'd still like a semihollow G&L Bluesboy, and a PRS SAS:D

Archived